Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X4
All Forum Topics
Options

3819 Posts

03-11-2019

United States of America

738 Signins

57395 Page Views

• Views: 57395
  • Message 91 of 98

Re:Moto x4 battery refuses to accept charge

2020-12-02, 14:56 PM

@ joeyfino wrote:

I would love to be a part of a class action if one is filed. This is bull ***removed***. 

***Removed by Admin. Please do not use vulgarity. Review guidelines: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Moto-Owners-Forum-Site-Rules/td-p/3269704***

Are you having the same problems as the poster? Please let us know so we can assist you with troubleshooting the phone.

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

1 Posts

12-17-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 92 of 98

2020-12-17, 16:26 PM

Try this for the X4 battery issue...it worked for me.I did some research and found that the battery temp sensor can become loose and will register a low temperature...so the phone will indicate charging but won't charge. If you go to the battery menu it will say something like  "phone plugged in but not charging now". Many have found that pushing just above the Motorola logo  on the back will reconnect the sensor and allow the phone to charge. There is a battery status app in the Google store that will display what the phone battery temperature is ...If it is negative then the sensor is the problem. You can either send the phone in to get repaired or I've just taped a wadded up small post it on the spot that needs to get pushed which is held in place by the tape and a phone case. And it charges! I've been doing this for over 8 months now so you might want to try it.l

Options

1 Posts

01-04-2015

6 Signins

18 Page Views

• Message 93 of 98

2020-12-22, 14:47 PM

^^^ This Last ^^^ description is indeed the root cause of the biggest charge failure mode on this model phone.

To Diagnose:
To tell if this "lose battery temp sensor" is keeping your phone from charging:
1) Download any battery monitor androd app (I used this one)
2) If displayed temp is a negative number (e.g. -29 °C), your sensor has come lose

Workarond:
3) If lose, flip the phone around on it's face on a flat, hard surface
4) firmly press with your thumb on the back of the x4 case between the motorola logo and the camera to get the thermal sensor to stick back to the battery

thermal battery sensor

5) check the battery sensor again to see if the temp has jumped up from the -20's to the positive 30° range. If not.. repeat step 4 a little harder (to a degree). Don't be afraid.

6) If this works, the battery will instantly begin charging again (as the low temp stops battery charging)

Long Term Fixes:

If this was your problem, the battery sensor may eventually come lose again. If so, one possible hack is to tape a small 2-3mm ball of tape or wood chip to the back of the device and insert phone into a case to keep constant pressure on that area of the case backing. The only long term fix to this design flaw is to  disassemble the unit (not for the inexperienced at phone surgery) pull the battery and permanently epoxy the sensor in place).

T.Weeks

Options

2 Posts

10-01-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 94 of 98

2021-01-04, 20:49 PM

Thank you for this fix.  My phone was not charging, I booted into Factory Mode and installed a battery app, could see the battery popping back and forth between -30 F and 89 F as I pressed (hard) on the back of the phone.  Put it on the factory charger and put about 50 lbs of pressure on the back plate while the phone was face down and now it started charging again.  With how finicky it is, I'm sure the phone is useless now, but at least I can charge it and get stuff off.  It's really remarkable that no one from Motorola posted this.  I bet it explains every person who has an intermittent charging problem on their x4.

Options

3 Posts

11-18-2014

India

15 Signins

338 Page Views

• Views: 338
  • Message 95 of 98

2021-01-11, 6:55 AM

I was having the same issue the battery (MOTOX4) was not considering charge...

doing all the possibilities shared in post failed.

later i connected my charger to USB PowerBank and then connected my phone to powerbank and volla the phone started to charge soon.

Power Bank :

Input : DC5V~1.5A

Output : DC5V~1A

Regards,

Girish Surve

Options

1 Posts

05-04-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 0
  • Message 96 of 98

2021-05-04, 1:16 AM

After searching all day for solutions to this and trying every reset permutation discussed I followed the advice here and it worked. Installed the battery app that read the temp as minus 29. LOL. Really leant down hard on the back and temp shot up to +30 and it started charging again. Thanks a million.

Of course the phone is bust and I can't be doing this all the time so I'm going to get a new one and it won't be from this manufacturer - mainly because they knew what the problem was and wouldn't say.

It's a fundamental manufacturing flaw which kicks in soon after warranty that should have been recognised by lenovo and dealt with in an honourable way. 

Options

789 Posts

11-24-2020

India

117 Signins

10890 Page Views

• Views: 10890
  • Message 97 of 98

2021-05-05, 5:48 AM

Hi Andykay

Thanks for writing to us. Sorry to hear you're having issues with your phone. Let me check and help you here. Sorry to say it looks like a hardware failure. At this point, I would suggest sending your phone for service. Please go through the link here for repair options. Please don't hesitate to post again in case you need further assistance. We are here to help! 

Thanks

Sunitha

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

9 Posts

06-01-2019

United States of America

12 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 98 of 98

2021-05-05, 6:00 AM

You should be ashamed to work for a company that RIPPED OFF ITS CONSUMERS!!!

Motorola KNOWINGLY SOLD FAULTY EQUIPMENT and refuses to correct the problem.

There have been MULTIPLE reports of this EXACT issue and I believe we have enough proof here for a CLASS ACTION .

SHAME ON YOU MOTOROLA!!

***Feel free to message me for additional details to create a class action suit against this company***

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms