Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mready
Paper Tape
Views: 17,261
Message 1 of 29

Moto x4 won't connect to PC via USB

I have a new x4 with the Oreo version of Android.  When I attach it to my Win10 PC via the USB cord that came with the phone, windows does not see that the phone exists.  There is no view into the phone's file system; the windows "safely remove hardware" button doesn't recognize anything as being plugged into the port.  However, the phone says "charging slowly," so the cord is working, and the USB port recognizes other devices.  There is nothing in the notification bar of the phone, and the USB settings option is shaded out.  Is there a trick to this?

Thanks,

Mike R.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 17,057
Message 2 of 29

Re: Moto x4 won't connect to PC via USB

@mready wrote:

I have a new x4 with the Oreo version of Android.  When I attach it to my Win10 PC via the USB cord that came with the phone, windows does not see that the phone exists.  There is no view into the phone's file system; the windows "safely remove hardware" button doesn't recognize anything as being plugged into the port.  However, the phone says "charging slowly," so the cord is working, and the USB port recognizes other devices.  There is nothing in the notification bar of the phone, and the USB settings option is shaded out.  Is there a trick to this?

Thanks,

Mike R.

Does device manager show anything? Are you going through a hub? 

When it works, you will see nothing innotification bar. You have to pull down notification shade, scroll to bottom, select clear all, and a big usb notification box is left. It will say charging, and touch for more options. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
mready
Paper Tape
Views: 17,020
Message 3 of 29

Thanks, but that's my problem.  There is nothing in or behind the pull-down, and there is nothing in Win10 Device Manager regarding the phone.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 17,009
Message 4 of 29

@mready wrote:

Thanks, but that's my problem.  There is nothing in or behind the pull-down, and there is nothing in Win10 Device Manager regarding the phone.

The only other suggestion is to try other PCs to rule out a problem with the phone. If the PC shows nothing in Device Manager, then there is no setting on the phone that will make it appear - phsyically it is not there as far as windows 10 is concerned. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Dema80
Paper Tape
Views: 16,991
Message 5 of 29

Hello! I was helped to remove the ADB device (Android Debug Bridge) in Device Manager.
Jonathan6
Punch Card
Views: 16,971
Message 6 of 29

I am not able to connect Moto X4 via USB to computer after the Oreo update as well.  I tried using the USB-C cord (that came with the phone) on two different computers but nothing popped.  As original poster said, the cord does charge the phone though, but no options pop up on the phone or computer for USB syncing.

OCDDan
Paper Tape
Views: 16,856
Message 7 of 29

Re: Moto x4 won't connect to PC via USB (Solved)

I resolved the issue by enabling Developer options in the System section of Settings.  In the Developer options, there is a setting named "Select USB Configuration".  Selecting that option gives you the following choices:

- Charging

- MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)

- PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol)

- RNDIS (USB Ethernet)

- Audio Source

- MIDI

Charging was selected on mine, and I changed it to MTP.  After doing this, I connected the X4 to my Windows 10 computer, using the cable supplied with the phone and all worked as expected.

To enable Developer options in the System section of Settings, open "About phone", tap the "Build number" item 7 times.  Now when you go back to the System section, you will see "Developer options".

Viswakanth
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,807
Message 8 of 29

In my Moto x4, USB configuration is already set as MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).still unable to transfer files to my PC.please help anyone.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 16,805
Message 9 of 29

@Viswakanthwrote:

In my Moto x4, USB configuration is already set as MTP (Media Transfer Protocol).still unable to transfer files to my PC.please help anyone.

Pull down notification menu to switch to mtp mode... developer option doesnt do it most of the time

8A288B74-812F-45E7-9CEA-FBE145E7D410.PNG

Verbal
Punch Card
Views: 16,504
Message 10 of 29

Tried all but am facing the problem of not being able to connect on my Windows 7 laptop. Am not getting the notification drop down as suggested by AlphaDog. Any solution for Win7?

Top Kudoed Authors