cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,549
Message 11 of 29

Re: Moto x4 won't connect to PC via USB (Solved)

@Verbalwrote:

Tried all but am facing the problem of not being able to connect on my Windows 7 laptop. Am not getting the notification drop down as suggested by AlphaDog. Any solution for Win7?

See if any of these suggestions help

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/MOTO-E-3rd-Gen/MTP-File-Transfer/m-p/3649239/highlight/false#M1260

First is to determine if laptop sees the phone.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Verbal
Punch Card
Views: 4,535
Message 12 of 29

@AlphaDog: Still trying for Win7 but not even close. Can Motorola check if they need to patch the MTP bug because I have the requisite files in the system folders already installed?
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,523
Message 13 of 29

@Verbalwrote:
@AlphaDog: Still trying for Win7 but not even close. Can Motorola check if they need to patch the MTP bug because I have the requisite files in the system folders already installed?

I don't know what you mean. There is nothing to patch on Motorola side. You either have a PC issue, cable issue, or phone issue. 

Start with simple things - does the computer see the phone in device manager? If no, then the problem is the USB port on phone or pc, or cable. Try another cable, some are charge only.

If PC sees the phone, is there a yellow exclamation point over phone in device manager? If so, you have a driver issue. MTP drivers come from microsoft - not moto, so any issues with drivers are Microsoft issues. 

If PC sees phone in device manager, and there is no error, then you are doing something wrong on phone to get to pull down menu - see if a friend can help or look for a youtube video. 

All stock android phones work this way (Moto, Nexus, Pixel, etc) - 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Verbal
Punch Card
Views: 4,505
Message 14 of 29

@AlphaDog : I can see that it starts charging as soon as the cable gets connected, however, doesn't get recognised by the device manager. Lemme see what I can do. Registered all the points. I'll check on 'em soon enough & come back here. Thanks.
moviebuffinLA
What's DOS?
Views: 4,413
Message 15 of 29

Thank you so much for these detailed instructions!  After completing them, I did a restart on my Moto X4 and now the USB file transfer function is working!

Musketeer_moto
Paper Tape
Views: 4,395
Message 16 of 29

Re: Moto x4 won't connect to PC via USB

Hi,

i purchased MotoX4 in Nov 2017 and its giving so many problems. 

1. speaker volume decresed

2. Battery Drain in just half day

3. Earphones not working.

4. Dailer problem

5. Gorila Glass got crack

It shocking for me that Gorila Glass got a crack which is the main factor of buying this mobile. 

The most intresting thing is the reply from customer care executive regarding the crack on screen - Gorila Glass get crack coz of many factors like from where its droping, where is dropping, how its dropping  etc.  

After reading this forum and issues with Moto X4 i belive Motorola has downgrade its quality and cheaing with customers with its name.

Does anyone know about escaltion Matrix of Motorola INDIA or US.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,391
Message 17 of 29

We can try to troubleshoot problems with you, but let's begin with the screen.  Gorilla glass is not shatterproof and it never claimed to be unbreakable.  It will likely break if you drop it.  It is scratch resistant, but not 100% scratch-proof.  If you read up on glass, you'll see that the information you got is accurate, and I would add that if you drop glass and it doesn't break, it has probably been weakened by the impact.  This means that the more lucky drops you have, the more likely it is that it will break the next time it falls.

1.  What did you install just before the speaker volume decreased?

2.  If you put the phone into safe mode, where you'll be able to make/receive calls, and use any app that came installed on the phone out-of-the-box (but no third party apps will run in safe mode), does the drain slow down a lot?

3.  Model/brand of your earphones?  How do they connect?

4. What kind of dialer problem?

Verbal
Punch Card
Views: 4,382
Message 18 of 29

@AlphaDog: Thank you again for the detailed instructions. Its working - can transfer files between X4 & Win7 laptop.

The fact that the X4 on earlier unsuccessful attempts showed it was charging as soon as the (supplied) cable was connected meant it had to work somehow. However, during these attempts, the drop down did not show to indicate USB charging. Also, just to be 'hardware sure' , as per point #2 in your reply, I did all the driver updates in my Win7 too as a useful parallel. This didn't help but it was worth it as it turned out, a lot of the drivers needed an update.

So this is what I did. I restarted the device (I typically switch off, wait a while and then switch on), edit add: saw Moto driver installation on Win7 for the first time, connected my X4 with cable to my Win7 laptop and then for the first time I saw 'Android system USB charging this device' in the drop down (I am unsure why the device did not show this earlier after connecting to my Win7 laptop). After that I followed these simple steps as seen in the attached pics. Thats that !!

1_Screenshot_20180331-220725.pngStep 1

2_Screenshot_20180331-220753.pngStep 2

3_Screenshot_20180331-220831.pngStep 3

4_Screenshot_20180331-220917.pngStep 4 - select Transfer files.

Musketeer_moto
Paper Tape
Views: 4,335
Message 19 of 29

WILL THE GORILA GLASS GET A CRACK ON FRIST DROP AND THAT TOO FROM THE HEIGHT OF 3-4 INCHES?

IF THAT IS THE CASE STOP SELLIGN THE MOBILES ON SUCH HIGH PRICES. DO NOT PLAY WITH CUSTOMERS SENTIMENTS AND TRUST OVER MOTOROLA. I FEEL LIKE CHEATED THAT AFTER JUST 5 MONTHS OF PURCHASE MY HANDSET GOT SO MANY ISSUE. AFTER SO MUCH OF RESEARCH I PURCHASED THIS MOBILE COZ OF ITS PROMOSING FEATURES.

AS YOU MENTIEOND GORILA GLASS IN NOT SHATTEREPROF, I HAVE BEEN USING GORILA GLASS MOBILES SINCE LAST 8 YEARS. FIRST MOBILE WAS MOTOROLA DEFY WHICH WAS DROPPED MANY TIMES BUT NEVER GOT ANY CRACK OR BROKEN GLASS. AFTER THAT I PURCHASED MOTO G TURBO AND THIS TOO GOT DROPPED MANY TIMES & ITS GORILA GLASS IS STILL FINE. SO ONE CANT BE LUCY SO MANY TIMES.

NOW REAGRDING OTHER ISSUES;

1. VOLUME DECREASED - I DIDN,T INSTALL ANYTHING.

2. SAFE MODE - MOBILE STILL WORKING AS SAME  IT WORKING NORMALLY

3. EARPHONES - IT CAME WITH MOBILE(EARBUDS). IT HAS 3.5MM JACK

4. DAILER PROBLEM - WHEN I DAIL ANY NUMBER IT TAKE 15-20 SECOND TO SHOWON SCREEN.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,331
Message 20 of 29

Typing in all caps is considered shouting and violates the house rules.  Please see our Moto Owners' Forum Site Rules for more information.

Yes, Gorilla glass can crack on the first drop.  There are a hundred questions you can ask about how it fell, how much force was behind it, did it land flat or on a corner, did it land on something, did it land on carpet or cement or wood or tile or linoleum...the bottom line, unfortunately is that glass breaks.  Gorilla glass is scratch resistant, but it is not shatterproof.  Compare the shape and size of your Defy to the X4.  Your X4 doesn't have a great big bezel around it, nor a big chin...mostly a lot of sleek glass.  Yes, the older phones survived a lot of dings and drops that today's phones won't.  And I've been lucky a lot of times, but I figure sooner or later, I won't be.

How long did you keep the phone in safe mode?

Top Kudoed Authors