Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sthomp2
Paper Tape
Views: 509
Message 1 of 6

Notification "Charging connected device via USB" problem

Hi All, 

I've had this notification on my X4 AndroidOne phone now for three days. There are no connected devices. When I charge the phone, the notification goes away and so far my phone is charging. When I remove the charger the notification returns. 

I've only used the original charger and cord. There's been no physical damage to my phone. It's in pristine condition. No recent software upgrades. I've read here that a factory reset doesn't seem to solve the problem. I haven't done a factory reset. 

Please advise how to correct this problem. 

Thx, 

Scott

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 486
Message 2 of 6

Re: Notification "Charging connected device via USB" problem

Hi sthomp2,

Thanks for the post. This is odd, it sounds like the phone is detecting a USB connection. I'd like to confirm, does the notification message reappear right after unplugging the charger? Do you see the notification message when you pull down the notification bar?  What happened when you tap it? I would first make check the charging port, see if there's any debris, lint or dirt. Also, let me know if the plate is bent or loosed. 

Would also recommend booting your phone in safe mode, just so we can see if it will appear there. 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode.

Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 467
Message 3 of 6

@sthomp2 wrote:

Hi All, 

I've had this notification on my X4 AndroidOne phone now for three days. There are no connected devices. When I charge the phone, the notification goes away and so far my phone is charging. When I remove the charger the notification returns. 

I've only used the original charger and cord. There's been no physical damage to my phone. It's in pristine condition. No recent software upgrades. I've read here that a factory reset doesn't seem to solve the problem. I haven't done a factory reset. 

Please advise how to correct this problem. 

Thx, 

Scott

Hold the power button in until the phone reboots.This emulates taking the battery out and can help dissipate bad data held in the RAM.

HTH Smiley Happy

sthomp2
Paper Tape
Views: 460
Message 4 of 6

It did reappear right after unplugging the charger when I charged the phone two nights ago. I will check again tonight to see if it come right back. I don't have my charger with me now. 

I see the notification message when I pull down the notification bar. There isn't an icon in the notification bar for this notification. I only see the notification when I pull down the bar. 

When I tap the notification once, it says:

"Charging connected device via USB

Tap for more options." 

When I tap the notification again, I get the USB Preferences screen in settings. 

I attached a screen shot showing the notification when tapped once. 

I don't see an obvious debris, lint, or dirt in the charging pot and the plate appears to be in good condition (not bent or loose) looking at it from the outside. I can't see the faces of the plate very well. 

I tried to boot my phone in safe mode and I get the same notification. 

I tried what Porphyrius suggested, pressing and holding the power button to reboot. Still got the same notification. 

What should I try next?

Thx, 

Scott

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 416
Message 5 of 6

Hi sthomp2,

Thanks for trying the suggestions. There could a hardware failure going on with the port. You can try doing the factory data reset without restoring your backup. Once done, check if the notification disappears. Otherwise, it's likely a failure with the hardware. We recommend sending the phone for repair/replacement.

Factory Data Reset:
Settings > System > Reset options > Factory Reset

*Backup your important files before doing the reset.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

sthomp2
Paper Tape
Views: 357
Message 6 of 6

Thx Rich.

When I plugged the cable into my phone to charge it later in the day after your last reply, initially it didn't register that it was plugged in. I pushed just a little harder, not too hard, and it clicked in place. After I unplugged the phone, the notification was no longer there.

No notification for the last couple days. Let's hope it stays that way. If not, I'll assume it's hardware and call it in. 

Thx for your help,

Scott

Top Kudoed Authors