Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bartpg
Paper Tape
Views: 426
Message 1 of 10

One button nav / rotate screen

While auto-rotate is disabled, a rotation icon appears adjacent to normal Android nav buttons when the phone is physically rotated, giving one the option to rotate the display manually to match, if pressed.

Moto "one button nav" (OBN) appears to disable the entire row in which normal nav icons reside, including the area that the rotation button normally appears. In other words, if one has auto-rotate off and has OBN on, the display cannot be rotated without either turning on auto-rotate or disabling OBN.

Simply removing the bottom "navigation" row to regain screen real estate while in OBN is an oversimplified patch to the OS that forgets to take into account manual rotation control 

No wonder pure Android is always best.

Please fix . . .

Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 406
Message 2 of 10

Re: One button nav / rotate screen

Hi bartpg

Thanks for reaching out. 

1. We've tried enabling One-Button Nav and turning off the auto-rotate option. 

2. We use the phone horizontally and a "Rotate icon" appeared at the upper-right corner of the screen. 

*Note: The Rotate icon will only appear if you're using an application. 

Kindly send us a sample video to further understand what you've experienced on the device. 

Best regards,
Mike
Motorola-Lenovo Support

bartpg
Paper Tape
Views: 396
Message 3 of 10

That is not the behavior I see. X4 on Pie here. I understand that rotate does not appear on desk, just with apps.

Checked with Chrome, Gmail, Calendar, others - all act identically as initially described.

There is no space allocated for the rotate icon (gone with nav button row,) so how would you determine clear positions for it in different apps?

Please send me a video that shows what you are describing.

It's not that I don't believe you, but I am, shall we say, somewhat skeptical . . .

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 357
Message 4 of 10

Hi bartpg

Thanks for getting back to me. The proper team replicate this behavior and found out that this is working as designed. We'll be sure to forward your thoughts to the appropriate team.

Best regards,
Mike
Motorola Support

bartpg
Paper Tape
Views: 351
Message 5 of 10

It is gratifying to know that " the proper team replicate(sic) this issue" and that you'll be "sure" to forward my thoughts to the "appropriate" team.

Be that as it may, it remains unclear to me whether your claim of replication (of the one button nav problem) matches my experience. You infer that state to be "working as designed."

If so, why in your first reply did you claim to not be able to replicate my issue? Shouldn't your test also be "working as designed?"

Your last reply suggests that Lenovo has little to no interest in correcting or improving this issue, again by claiming it "works as designed."

So, no fix then?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 317
Message 6 of 10

Hi bartpg

If you're using the regular Moto X4, this behavior is normal. There's a difference between the regular Moto X4's One Button Nav and the Moto X4 - Android One's Gesture Nav feature. 

Best regards,
Mike
Motorola Support

bartpg
Paper Tape
Views: 290
Message 7 of 10

This just seems to get more interesting with each response . . . I'm fairly sure that my XT1900-1 PA8S0006US is not Android One . . .

So you're good with the apparent fact that different "versions" of the X4 may or may not work properly with Moto OBN?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 244
Message 8 of 10

Hi bartpg

We're sure about that and kindly see the difference between the Retail and Android One version of Moto X4. 

Moto X4 (Retail) - One-Button Nav uses the fingerprint sensor for navigation and will totally hide the navigation bar. Rotation key will not be displayed when OBN is enabled. 

Moto X4 (Android One) - Doesn't have One-Button Nav and it uses Google's Gesture Navigation. It doesn't use the fingerprint instead, a pill-shaped gesture area will appear at the bottom part of the screen for navigation. Rotation key will be displayed whether the Gestures Nav is disabled/enabled. 

Best regards,
Mike
Motorola Support

bartpg
Paper Tape
Views: 227
Message 9 of 10

Thank you for responding to me on 9/13, in which you claimed my problem stemmed from having Android One, only to be edited on 9/16 (after I pointed out that my phone was retail US version) to claim that, no, in fact my problem was that I have a retail phone and continued by restating what I said in my first post, that OBN removes the standard navigation row, thereby also removing the rotation icon.

That would have been a good response if it were your first one, and would have wasted far less of both our time. Admitting that you initially did not have your facts straight, rather than surreptitiously changing your 9/13 post, might have been nice as well . . .

The bottom line ("solution," if you will) appears to be that Moto's OBN interferes with (eliminates) the rotation icon on non Andrion One x4's, yes? Would you agree that, while this may be your expected behaviour, it is not ideal in that OBN requires that auto rotate always be on in order to be able to rotate an app's display?

See what I mean about pure Android? It seems most vendors' OS patches are often fraught with specific hardware/os versioning problems. Usually, these are careless mistakes rushed to market.

If Moto/Lenovo wants to gain consumer confidence, it needs to fix issues when they are pointed out, not avoid admitting them . . .

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 169
Message 10 of 10

Hi bartpg,

So sorry for the confusion. This is not a problem with the device but rather a feature of two devices of different versions. I have tested it with my team and the above statement at least for Moto X4 (Retail) and for Moto X4 (One) is correct. I will pass your feedback along but we can't guarantee any changes. Let me know if you have a question. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Top Kudoed Authors