cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pav1
Punch Card
Views: 309
Message 1 of 13

Real-time GPS location delayed on Moto X4 Android 9.0 (Pie)

I recently bought a Moto X4 Alexa edition for my spouse. It was an upgrade from her old Moto X 2014 edition.  To date, I have successfully used a 3rd party GPS tracker on all our Motorola phones (Moto X  2013, Moto X 2014, Moto X Pure). The tracker tool is able to provide accurate real-time updates of the phone's location, but for some reason, since applying the Android 9.0 (Pie) update, the Moto X4 will not provide a real-time location. It always shows the phone's location from 5 minutes previous (i.e. at last "ping" of the GPS). I have checked the real-time GPS performance with other apps (e.g. Google maps) and have tested the same 3rd party GPS tracker with other phones (Moto Z, Moto Z3 Play) and it works perfectly but I can't figure out why there is a delay on ONLY the Moto X4. In an attempt to improve performance, I disabled the battery optimization settings for all GPS related functionality but still the same problem.  Is this an Android 9 issue? 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 302
Message 2 of 13

Re: Real-time GPS location delayed on Moto X4 Android 9.0 (Pie)

Hi pav1,

Thanks for posting. May I know what app are you using? Also, does it happen while using Google Maps? 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

pav1
Punch Card
Views: 299
Message 3 of 13

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your quick reply. The app is Xfi endpoint which works in conjunction with Xfi Locator (both available through the Google Play store).  As mentioned, the Xfi locator works fine on other phones but not on the X4 with Android 9.  Google maps works on the X4 but the Xfi endpoint application is different in that it works in the background so I'm not sure if there's a new setting under Android 9 that limits the number of background "pings" to the GPS function.

KarlBeckman
Token Ring
Views: 278
Message 4 of 13

Just speculation that the 5 minute position reporting delay may be part of new Euro data privacy provisions to inhibit real-time tracking and location of the smartphone subscriber.  This would not be useful for your express purpose, but could keep a younger child from being abducted.

pav1
Punch Card
Views: 270
Message 5 of 13

@KarlBeckman wrote:

Just speculation that the 5 minute position reporting delay may be part of new Euro data privacy provisions to inhibit real-time tracking and location of the smartphone subscriber.  This would not be useful for your express purpose, but could keep a younger child from being abducted.

I'm located in North America using a US variant of the Moto X4. Not sure if the EU restriction applies in this case but if it is indeed due to this new ruling, that is not useful at all! One could argue conversely that if you're trying to track a loved one (such as a parent following a child), accuracy would be of utmost importance. My family keeps track of our location to facilitate our rendezvous for pickups (i.e. travelling to/from work and school). It reduces the need to wait outdoors in bad weather by knowing precisely when one is arriving by car.  This location delay has been extremely frustrating and I'm now considering switching back to the older Moto X 2014 (which worked fine).

pav1
Punch Card
Views: 213
Message 6 of 13

@Agent_Rich - any updates or suggestions about a possible fix for this?

Thanks

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 207
Message 7 of 13

Hi pav1,

We're trying to replicate this. Could you please provide us the details on how you're measuring the GPS using the 3rd party apps and Google maps so we can test?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

pav1
Punch Card
Views: 202
Message 8 of 13

@Agent_Rich wrote:

Hi pav1,

We're trying to replicate this. Could you please provide us the details on how you're measuring the GPS using the 3rd party apps and Google maps so we can test?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Hi Rich,

Yes no problem (see below):

8<----------------------------------------<snip>

OPERATION using Xfi:

1. Xfi endpoint is installed on the target device (Moto X4 Alexa 32 GB, Android 9.0 with January 2019 patch). 
  2. Xfi locator app is launched on the secondary device (Moto Z 64GB, Android 8.0. Sept. 2018 patch)
  3. The Moto X4 (target device) is tracked using the Xfi locator on the Moto Z (secondary device) in a moving vehicle. Both are active at the same time in the same moving vehicle.
  4. Xfi locator shows both devices on the map. When working properly, both devices update in real-time and appear next to each other on the map since they are located in the same vehicle moving together, however;
  5. With the Moto X4 (Android 9.0), there is a considerable difference in distance between both devices given that (one must assume) the X4 is not providing its GPS location in real-time. 

OPERATION using Google Maps:

1. Launching Google Maps for directions on the Moto X4 shows the current real-time GPS location on the map while driving.  There is no noticeable lag. Take note however that in this particular case the app is always active and running in the foreground. (unlike the Xfi endpoint app which is presumably optimized to operate in the background).

8<----------------------------------------<snip>

Hope this helps.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 145
Message 9 of 13

Hi pav1,

I have seen reviews having related location concern on the apps side. Please report it to the app developer as well. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

pav1
Punch Card
Views: 138
Message 10 of 13

@Agent_Rich wrote:

Hi pav1,

I have seen reviews having related location concern on the apps side. Please report it to the app developer as well. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Hi Rich,

Yes, noted- most concerns seem to be related to location accuracy. In my particular case, it seems to be a problem related to update frequency (i.e. not real-time).  I have attempted to reach out to the developer however I do know that the app works on several other Motorola phones without any issues (as noted in my original post). I'm trying to determine if it's an Android 9.0 issue or a Moto X4 issue (or both) however I'm unable to roll-back to a previous version of Android on my wife's Moto X4.  In this regard, I was hoping for your assistance to verify the performance on a Moto X4 Alexa (with Android 8.0) against a Moto X4 Alexa using Android 9.0.   Your follow-up on this thread is greatly appreciated.

Top Kudoed Authors