Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xone
Not applicable
Views: 715
Message 1 of 9

Software Update Unsuccessful

I am unable to update my unlocked MOTO X4 1900-1 project fi version (running on T-mobile) since the January security update. It is attempting to update to PPWS29.69-26-5 from PPWS29.69-26-4. Every time I attempt to update it, it says "Something's not right, reconnecting to server" then it stops at step 3 and states "Software update unsuccessful - Sorry, there was a problem updating your moto x4. No changes were made."

I have reset the phone multiple times and have tried the Lenovo Motorola Assistant. The Lenovo Motorola Assistant tries to update it to the latest version and it says that it's finished, but whenever I reboot, the software version shows PPWS29.69-26-4 and continuously tries to update the software. 

Not sure what else to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

Agent_Rich
Not applicable
Views: 629
Message 2 of 9

Re: Software Update Unsuccessful

Hi Xone,

Thanks for posting. Can you please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Xone
Not applicable
Views: 617
Message 3 of 9

It's ok for you to look. I've tried doing the update after a reset with default apps installed, but still get the same issue. My phone is fresh off a reset right now.

In addition to all of this, I also tried to look up to see if my phone can be bootloader unlocked. I have the project fi unlocked version, but I keep getting a message saying that bootloader unlocking is not possible. This version of the phone is supposed to also allow unlocking of the bootloader. Not sure why that would be. Any idea?

Thanks a bunch.

OlafZ
Not applicable
Views: 602
Message 4 of 9

As far as I know Motorola is the only manufacturer that refuses software and security patches when the bootloader is unlocked.

There is no logical reason for doing so, but it's like that. Strange is that the phone only tells "sorry, update failed" instead of "no updates with unlocked bootloader possible".

Moto X4 XT1900-7
Agent_Rich
Not applicable
Views: 588
Message 5 of 9

Hi Xone,

Thanks for updating your profile. We checked the software build of your phone, can you please confirm how did you get this version PPWS29.69-26-4?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Xone
Not applicable
Views: 581
Message 6 of 9

Not sure. I've only done OTAs and updates through the Motorola Mobile Assistant App on the computer. I've always selected 1900-1 though. Why do you ask? Is the version wrong? If it is, what should it be?

Agent_Rich
Not applicable
Views: 471
Message 7 of 9

Hi Xone,

Thanks for confirming. You're supposed to be on -5 software build version. That could be the reason why you're getting an error with the LMSA tool. To correct this, we recommend sending your phone for warranty repair to manually flash your phone with the correct software build. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

xseanx
Not applicable
Views: 406
Message 8 of 9

my phone is trying to update to May 1  security patch but it keep on failed at 86%. my phone bootloader is unlocked is that the reason why it cannot update ?

Agent_Rich
Not applicable
Views: 375
Message 9 of 9

Hi xseanx,

We can consider that as one of the factors. If you unlock the phone with a custom ROM then it might not get the stock android update.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Top Kudoed Authors