Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mitchhrapp1
Paper Tape
Views: 311
Message 1 of 11

USB file transfer broken again?

Anyone else having issues with USB transfer being broken again? It was working fine for me up until a few days ago. Now I get nothing in the notifications when I plug in a USB cable. It still charges, but no USB transfer. I used to get a notification everytime I plugged in a USB cable asking me what I wanted to allow (file transfer, etc.). This all of a sudden stopped working and now Windows 10 is saying the USB device is unrecognized. Tried different cables and different computers, same error.

I'm on Android 9, PPW29.69-39-1, March 1, 2019 security patch

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 308
Message 2 of 11

Re: USB file transfer broken again?

Have you installed the Motorola USB drivers for windows?

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/drivers

The standard window's USB drivers have always been flakey for me so I always search out the phone specific drivers.Did the same for my old Samsungs.

HTH Smiley Happy

mitchhrapp1
Paper Tape
Views: 301
Message 3 of 11

Yes, I installed those drivers and still no help. I've also tried all the other solutions mentioned before - disabling screen lock, etc.

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 299
Message 4 of 11

Try booting in and out of Safemode.This can sometimes clear these things.

And or a,"Soft Reboot" which emulates taking the battery out.

Hold the Volume key fully in and keep it held in and then hold the power button in until the phone reboots.

mitchhrapp1
Paper Tape
Views: 270
Message 5 of 11

Thank you. The soft reset and/or booting in and out of safe mode seems to have fixed this issue.

Highlighted
Jerett
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 93
Message 6 of 11

I just tried it, it didn't work. I tried everything I found online so far including updating the phone's software, changing the usb cable, changing the debugging settings from programmer mode and, changing the usb default setting from programmer mode, the hard reset of course and yeah I still can't seem to figure out why it just decided it didn't wanna be an option on my motorola x4 anymore but i don't have this problem with my other cellphone which is a barebones coolpad. Both phones which are being utilized through a chromebook. Now, I can still charge my x4 but no transfering files

Mauser69
Fanfold Paper
Views: 77
Message 7 of 11

I have a brand new X4 just updated to Android 9 (I do NOT like the changes with 9 - wish I had left it at 8.1), but USB file transfer to a W10 computer worked just fine for me yesterday.  No new drivers were needed.

HOWEVER - it does NOT prompt for what type of USB connection to make like older devices always did for me.  When I first connected the phone to my USB-3 port, it was recognized and set up as a device, but then there was no access to anything on the device UNTIL I went into settings on the phone and checked the USB settings under Connected Devices.

This setting does not even show up until after the USB connection is made, and then the default setting seems to be "No data transfer".  I changed the setting to "File Transfer", and everything worked fine without restarting anything at all (I also left the "USB controlled by" setting as the default "This device").

Jerett
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 68
Message 8 of 11

Bro, that isn't going to fix my issue. Oh and hey I forgot to mention I tried inputing a couple of those numeric codes from the telephone menu that start with *#____#. Both of which I obviously found online and guess what happened?! Nothing! It said I entered an invalid code or something like that. This problem is beyond me and i'm frustrated. I just want my phone to work the way it should. 

Mauser69
Fanfold Paper
Views: 66
Message 9 of 11

Why not? Have you even tried it? Your post just says that your USB connection won't transfer files. The solution for YOUR issue should be as simple as opening the Connected Devices setting and enabling USB file transfer.
Jerett
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 59
Message 10 of 11

I have a Chromebook, when it recognizes a device it opens a new window dedicated to that device. When I plug in my USB c type cable it doesn't even give the option on what to do between the the phone and Chromebook. 

Top Kudoed Authors