06-13-2019

US

16 Signins

278 Page Views

• Views: 278
  • Message 1 of 25

Unlocked X4 does not recognize SIM card

2019-06-13, 0:43 AM

My phone suddenly stopped connecting to cellular service yesterday - both phone and data. Any thoughts / suggestions welcome!

Summary:

• Unlocked X4 purchased new from Amazon (not an FI)
  • Has worked without issues since Aug 2018
  • The unit has always had the same Verizon SIM card since I purchased it
  • I have not seen this behavior before.
  • Phone still connects via WiFi and I can use apps that are available over WiFi. I am not able to make calls, send / received SMS or use mobile data.
  • I had not accessed the SIM/SD card slot since it was new
  • I have not had issues in the past with cellular services and I checked for possible connection to cellular services from mutiple municipalities in my area.
  • Build number: PPWS29.69-39-2-1

What I have done:

1. Researched possible issues / resolutions on-line including Motorola support
  2. Powered X4 off and back on (multiple times)
  3. Reseated SIM card (with restart)
  4. Tried to adjust settings including Preferred Network Type (was Global - moved to LTE / CDMA and back to Global) - multiple restarts
  5. Performed Factory reset (multiple restarts)
  6. Tried to adjust settings including Preferred Network Type (was Global - moved to LTE / CDMA and back to Global) - multiple restarts
  7. Visited local Verizon store - they could not figure it out
  8. Called Verizon Support - they were actually quite helpful. We tried a number of things but could not resolve the issue. They suspect it is a hardware failure but are willing to send me a new SIM.
  9. Placed my SIM card in a friend's X4 (they purchased based on my recommendation) - the SIM card works fine in their X4
  10. Revisited Motorola / Lenova support - could not find resolution
  11. Last resort - posting here
Options

10555 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1114 Signins

150438 Page Views

• Views: 150438
  • Message 2 of 25

Re: Unlocked X4 does not recognize SIM card

2019-06-13, 16:20 PM

Hi RRinMA,

Thanks for posting. I appreciate all the steps you've tried and done so far. Can you please update your profile with the current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. 

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

3 Posts

06-12-2019

US

11 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 3 of 25

2019-06-13, 16:43 PM

I have the exact same problem. My phone installed a system update on Tuesday on its own, although I have automatic updates disabled. When I restarted the phone later in the day, it couldn't find a network. I've done many of the steps listed by the OP, other than factory reset. My SIM card works in other phones. Motorola support was not at all helpful as I was 29 days out of warranty. I spoke with Tmobile support yesterday, who pinpointed the problem to the fact that the update apparently reset my IMEI to "0". They said that the phone won't find a cell network without the IMEI.

Is there any way to get this fixed? The update that I didn't request basically broke my phone.

Please let me know if I should create my own post or if you need any further information.

I appreciate any help you can give.

OP, you might want to check and see if your IMEI is still in place.

Options

5 Posts

06-13-2019

US

16 Signins

278 Page Views

• Message 4 of 25

2019-06-13, 16:57 PM

Hi Rich. Thanks for your response. I added those details to my profile yesterday. I used the link you provided to confirm the carrier, phone and serial number are included in my account profile. Should I send them to you via private message?

Thanks!

Options

5 Posts

06-13-2019

US

16 Signins

278 Page Views

• Message 5 of 25

2019-06-13, 17:01 PM

Options

3 Posts

06-12-2019

US

11 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 6 of 25

2019-06-17, 1:40 AM

Bumping this post.

I've also entered my serial number (IMEI) in my profile.

Any chance at all that this will be fixed? BTW there is another forum thread from someone with the exact same problem.

Thanks.

Options

7 Posts

03-02-2017

LK

7 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 7 of 25

2019-06-17, 3:29 AM

Exactly same issue with me too.

I was allowed the  "Tuesday of death" (TOD) Update :) And now my phone reads IMEI as "0".

I've tried different things including going back to stock Neugut, Oreo and again to Pie. Also tried several custom roms without any luck.

My final shot will be to use QPST tool to set IMEI manually. However yesterday when I was in recovery mode, the phone got dead on me. And now it won't turn on. I'm gonna put that to high charge and see. If it wake up I'll publish the results here.

Options

1 Posts

06-19-2019

US

3 Signins

104 Page Views

• Views: 104
  • Message 8 of 25

2019-06-19, 2:11 AM

I have the same issue. I called my service provider and then motorola and both said I pretty much had to replace my phone. Well my service provider did send me another SIM card, but that didn't work. I also followed the same steps as the original post, but to no avail. I don't understand why a security update would change my IMEI number to 0 which from what I was told makes it not recognizable to the network. Does anyone know if there is a way to manually reenter this number. I figure the worst that can happen is it will break my phone which isn't a big deal since it's already broke. 

Options

5 Posts

06-13-2019

US

16 Signins

278 Page Views

• Message 9 of 25

2019-06-19, 18:00 PM

I guess I got lucky on this one. My phone was still under the 1 year warranty so Motorola is sending me a replacement. Motorola did ask me not to do an additonal factory reset before I sent it back so their Engineers could see the problem. They received it today, so hopefully they will posted something here in the next few days. Good luck!

Options

6 Posts

06-26-2019

US

10 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 10 of 25

OTA Update reset Unlocked X4 IMEI to 0!

2019-06-26, 15:42 PM

This morning my phone (Unlocked Moto X4 Purchased Feb 2019 from BestBuy) reset after doing an OTA update to PPWS29.69-39-2-1 while connected to Verizon (roaming thru Bluegrass).  Now I can not connect to any cellular services, Wifi only.

Have perfomed a factory reset, with no luck

Have put the SIM into another phone, SIM works.

After reading online, it sounds like others have had this issue as well.

I looked up my IMEI and it has been reset to 0 by this update so cellular systems won't talk to it.

Any thoughts/help on this?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete