Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CA92807
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,143
Message 1 of 11

Verizon International Travel Pass - not compatable

I want to get a Verizon Travel Pass for my X4, purchased from Amazon. On the Verizon menu my phone is shown as "Ecom Servicew SKU" and the pass option is not available. Verizon chat help says:

• Amanda: Not all unlocked devices qualify for our Verizon specific options altho we do our best to make them as expansive as possible to cover as many options as we can! Usually the plan is where we run into trouble - older plans aren't compatible with the Travel Pass etc - but that's not the case here. In this instance, it looks like it's the phone itself that is holding us back.

Verizon says the phone is not compatible, you say it is. Is there any solution?

Highlighted
CodyMoto Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Views: 1,073
Message 2 of 11

Re: Verizon International Travel Pass - not compatable

@CA92807 wrote:

I want to get a Verizon Travel Pass for my X4, purchased from Amazon. On the Verizon menu my phone is shown as "Ecom Servicew SKU" and the pass option is not available. Verizon chat help says:

• Amanda: Not all unlocked devices qualify for our Verizon specific options altho we do our best to make them as expansive as possible to cover as many options as we can! Usually the plan is where we run into trouble - older plans aren't compatible with the Travel Pass etc - but that's not the case here. In this instance, it looks like it's the phone itself that is holding us back.

Verizon says the phone is not compatible, you say it is. Is there any solution?

Hello CA9807,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing.  I think there is possibly a bit of confusion in regards to compatibility.  While our website does state that the phone itself is compatible, we don't guarantee that all carrier features will be available.  From what I have gathered, Verizon stated correctly that this device is not compatible with that particular feature.  If you saw elsewhere that this feature should be available, could you please provide a link or a screenshot so that I can investigate? 

Best Regards,

Cody

Juniper1
Paper Tape
Views: 777
Message 3 of 11

My daughter has an unlocked MotoG4 Play XT1607 purchased at BestBuy a litttle over a year ago.  .  She is traveling to Europe in a few weeks so I tried adding the Verzion Travel pass.

Spoiler
 It would not allow me to do it online.  Her phone was "grayed out."  After going to Best Buy and hours on the phone with Verizon, it appears that it is not possible.  After talking with tech support, the International Dept and Sales, they say that the phone that I purchased is a "pre-paid" phone.  It was never described to me as such.  I think of prepaid phone as ones where you buy x amt of minutes.  Verizon says that I cannot add travel pass with a pre-paid phone on a post-paid plan!  Sales suggested I go back to Best Buy as they should have told me that the phone was a pre-paid and would not work internationally.  We did that and the supervisor looked at me like I was crazy.  She said it is likely that because it was unlocked it did not have the verizon componets to work internationally.  I wish I could get the a response I could feel confident about.  Now I am looking at buying a Moto G6 or Moto G6 play.  Does anyone know for sure if they will work on the verizon travel plan?  I did the compatibility check on the Verizon site and it appears that both will.  Appreciate any help. Thanks
CA92807
Fanfold Paper
Views: 764
Message 4 of 11

I had the same problem with my X4 but I was able to get it to work. I Moved the SIM from the X4 to a different phone that was Verizon locked. I went to the Verizon Wireless site and waited until the new phone was associated to the number from the X4 (didn't take long). I was able to select Travel Pass for this number. I swapped the SIM back and the Travel Pass was still enabled for my X4. Hope this works for you.  

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 762
Message 5 of 11

@Juniper1 wrote:

My daughter has an unlocked MotoG4 Play XT1607 purchased at BestBuy a litttle over a year ago.  .  She is traveling to Europe in a few weeks so I tried adding the Verzion Travel pass.

Spoiler
 It would not allow me to do it online.  Her phone was "grayed out."  After going to Best Buy and hours on the phone with Verizon, it appears that it is not possible.  After talking with tech support, the International Dept and Sales, they say that the phone that I purchased is a "pre-paid" phone.  It was never described to me as such.  I think of prepaid phone as ones where you buy x amt of minutes.  Verizon says that I cannot add travel pass with a pre-paid phone on a post-paid plan!  Sales suggested I go back to Best Buy as they should have told me that the phone was a pre-paid and would not work internationally.  We did that and the supervisor looked at me like I was crazy.  She said it is likely that because it was unlocked it did not have the verizon componets to work internationally.  I wish I could get the a response I could feel confident about.  Now I am looking at buying a Moto G6 or Moto G6 play.  Does anyone know for sure if they will work on the verizon travel plan?  I did the compatibility check on the Verizon site and it appears that both will.  Appreciate any help. Thanks

Sorry, but I don't understand the "Spoiler" bit.  Oh well...

If you really want the features provided by a particular carrier, then you should purchase the carrier-branded version of the device.  There is no way of knowing which features are enabled in the unlocked version and which aren't.  

However, your daughter should be able to go overseas, purchase a SIM card from a local carrier, and ride the local carrier's waves.  Might well turn out to be less expensive then anything Verizon has to offer.

I am not knowledgeable about out-of-country phone usage.  Perhaps another forum member is, and will post here.

Juniper1
Paper Tape
Views: 757
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for your response.  That was the suggestion of others also.  The spoiler thing--I am not sure what caused that either.  But if I click on it, the other text I wrote appears. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 752
Message 7 of 11

@Juniper1 wrote:

Thanks for your response.  That was the suggestion of others also.  The spoiler thing--I am not sure what caused that either.  But if I click on it, the other text I wrote appears. 

Yup.  That's how I was able to read your problem.  ;-)

MikeW50000
Punch Card
Views: 120
Message 8 of 11

OK, so I have experienced the same.

TravelPass was enabled on my E5 Play, after some effort to get Verizon CS to get it to work, it did work great.

Moving the SIM to my X4, TravelPass still shows enabled on My Verizon (and shows my phone properly as the X4). 

But I am traveling next week, and hope the X4 will actually work. I assume so, because everything looks like it is enabled and the phone bands are obviously not a problem. 

CA, have you actually USED the X4 with TravelPass? 

CA92807
Fanfold Paper
Views: 107
Message 9 of 11

@MikeW50000 wrote:

CA, have you actually USED the X4 with TravelPass? 

No. I've connected to Canada but that's included in my regular plan. Please let us know how it works for you when you return.

MikeW50000
Punch Card
Views: 82
Message 10 of 11

Well, I am on prepaid, and Canada is not included on my plan. I did successfully use my E5 Play on the prepaid TravelPass last year (after some struggling to get them to turn it on).

I will find out Monday if the X4 works. I am assuming it will (as TravelPass is still showing as "on" in My Verizon). I guess I will seek out a local SIM if it doesn't work...I am not sure if a SIM swap back to the E5 Play will work if I am not on the Verizon network.
Top Kudoed Authors