Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mauser69
Fanfold Paper
Views: 251
Message 1 of 8

What is Android One and How Do I Know if I Have It?

Hello all.  I an new here - just bought a new Moto X4.  I see references to Androd One in the support site and in some posts here, but I have no idea if I have that or just a regular X4.  How do I tell? 

Thanx!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 241
Message 2 of 8

Re: What is Android One and How Do I Know if I Have It?

Hi Mauser69,

Thanks for posting. One way you would know that you have the Android One version is when you boot up the phone, it would show you the "Android One" on the boot screen.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Mauser69
Fanfold Paper
Views: 207
Message 3 of 8

Thank you Rich - that would have been an obvious givaway, so I guess it is safe to say that my XT1900-1 (purchased at Walmart) is clearly NOT an AndroidOne model.   Should I be happy or sad about that?  Why would I care either way?

If I decide to buy a second one of these phones for my wife, which one should I get?

I am still puzzled about why there are two different versions of this same phone, and just WHAT the differences are?  I guess I'll have to spend some extra time doing internet searches to try and find out.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 204
Message 4 of 8

@Mauser69 wrote:

Thank you Rich - that would have been an obvious givaway, so I guess it is safe to say that my XT1900-1 (purchased at Walmart) is clearly NOT an AndroidOne model.   Should I be happy or sad about that?  Why would I care either way?

If I decide to buy a second one of these phones for my wife, which one should I get?

I am still puzzled about why there are two different versions of this same phone, and just WHAT the differences are?  I guess I'll have to spend some extra time doing internet searches to try and find out.

Try this Wikipedia article:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_One

Mauser69
Fanfold Paper
Views: 202
Message 5 of 8

Thanx - I had looked at that, and it really does not say squat about what the differences are between two X4 phones, one with AndrodOne, and one without.

The Wikipedia article on the X4 is just slightly more helpful, saying that the only software differences are that Android One does not have "the Amazon Alexa assistant and some Motorola software additions, and will receive Android updates from Motorola faster than the regular version of the device."

I have absolutely NO USE AT ALL for Amazon Alexa - not ever - and I normally despise vendor-added bloatware.  But the Moto app on my phone does seem to provide some gestures and display settings that are otherwise missing from the Android 9 setup screens.  The big item there would seem to be the One Button Nav, which I think I am really liking.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 194
Message 6 of 8

@crystallet wrote:

@Mauser69 wrote:

Try this Wikipedia article:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_One

I don't think there's a feature-by-feature checklist, which would be helpful.  Just think about what's on the phone and what you'd miss most if it wasn't there.  As far as your wife's phone goes, the only thing I can think of is to ask her.   ;-)

Mauser69
Fanfold Paper
Views: 191
Message 7 of 8

@crystallet wrote:

@crystallet

I don't think there's a feature-by-feature checklist, which would be helpful.  Just think about what's on the phone and what you'd miss most if it wasn't there.  As far as your wife's phone goes, the only thing I can think of is to ask her.   ;-)

This reply makes no sense at all.  What is the point of imagining some feature being gone if there is no way to know if it IS gone on the other phone?????  Your statement implies that anything I like about my phone will not be on an Android One version of the X4!  Maybe I should just imagine what is NOT on my phone and assume it would be on the Androd One version - that would be just as useful.

And just what value is there in asking anybody "Do you want 'Android One' or just 'Standard Moto Android'?"...

if the only answer I have to the obvious response is:

"I have absolutely no idea what the difference is, so you just go ahead and decide!"

boarbrush
Punch Card
Views: 185
Message 8 of 8

Android one means you'll get updates sooner than other versions. But you lose some of the "moto action" feautures.  

With regular version sold at retail stores "retail version x4" you'll have more of those moto actions (there is a pre-installed app called moto" but get updates later than Android one and there is no garantee that you'll get the upcomming Android "Q" but the Android one version is said to get that update.

With Amazon prime version, You'll get a bunch of Amazon apps (bloatware) on the phone. But just like the retail version won't get updates regularaly and probabely won't get Android Q either. Both retail and Amazon prime versions are said to have annoying ads on the phone screen once in a while. Android one version is free or ads or bloatware.

Top Kudoed Authors