Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonathan6
Punch Card
Views: 8,320
Message 1 of 17

Wi-Fi Calling on Verizon

Hello,

I purchased an unlocked Moto X4 (non Android One).  I am using it on Verizon.  Is there any way that I can use Wi-Fi calling on Verizon?  I don't see any options for that in the Settings page.  I tried chatting with Verizon, but since my phone is unlocked, they were not very helpful.

Highlighted
Former Employee
Views: 8,272
Message 2 of 17

Re: Wi-Fi Calling on Verizon

Hi Jonathan6,

I am afraid that it's not available for WiFi calling. 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

BCMac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,814
Message 3 of 17

Will software update be forthcoming to activate WiFi calling or is it a Verizon decision not to allow unlocked x4 access to WiFi calling?  Bought Moto x4 from Moto online store with the understanding that it was fully compatible with Verizon including WiFi calling.  I plan on returning phone if this isn't planned to be rectified.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 7,788
Message 4 of 17

@BCMacwrote:

Will software update be forthcoming to activate WiFi calling or is it a Verizon decision not to allow unlocked x4 access to WiFi calling?  Bought Moto x4 from Moto online store with the understanding that it was fully compatible with Verizon including WiFi calling.  I plan on returning phone if this isn't planned to be rectified.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that Moto can rectify; the phone is performing as designed and as specified by Verizon.

No carrier that I know of offers wifi calling on any device other than a carrier-branded device.  This is not a Moto decision.  It's a carrier decision.

InfoSane
Punch Card
Views: 7,759
Message 5 of 17

Republic Wireless does (in fact, they encourage it), but they are VOIP first with roaming on to cellular networks (kind of like Google Fi but cheaper). Neither are traditional carriers though.

I've also read that it works with T-Mobile but on the 2.4 ghz band only (no personal experience -- just what I've read).

I can see Verizon disabling this function, though I might try using the 2.4 ghz band if you are using 5 ghz WiFi.
BCMac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,759
Message 6 of 17

After talking with Vz level 2 tech support, they indicate that it is active on there system & that they have asking Moto/Lenovo to push out a software  update to activate their phone that are capable of Wifi calling.  Moto clearly indicates that it is s carrier issue.  Who is telling the truth?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 7,756
Message 7 of 17

It doesn't sound right that a Level 2 tech rep would have actual knowledge of this.

When I was using my Moto X Pure on Verizon, it didn't have wifi calling enabled.  It's common for the major carriers to enable certain functions only on their branded devices...especially Verizon, who doesn't give ice away in the winter.

I'm currently using a Droid model on TMo, and wifi calling isn't available to me.

BCMac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,734
Message 8 of 17

I have spoken directly with both Vz & Moto level 2 support and each have dished me off to the other for resolving this problem.  Moto Level 2 indicated that the regular retail version of the X4 is hardware capable of WiFi calling but that it is a Vz issue that it doesn't work.  On the other hand, Vz Level 2 support indicated that they have been requesting Moto to provide the software update(s) on X4 and other phones for more than a year so that they will work on their network.

FYI, regarding the capabilities of the regular retali X4, I offer the following from another thread within the Moto Community:  

"Hi ElronTheElder, 

I apologize for the delayed response. I had to wait for confirmation on this. I can confirm that T-Mobile WiFi calling is supported on the regular Moto X4.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support"

So what gives?  I am about ready to ship my X4 back to Moto and go back to my X 1st gen phone or switch to another phone manufacturer.

BCMac
Fanfold Paper
Views: 7,592
Message 9 of 17

Is there a plan by Moto & Vz to bring a Vz branded standard Moto X4 to the market in the near future?

CA92807
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,409
Message 10 of 17

Verizon Travel Pass - not compatible

I want to get a Verizon Travel Pass for my X4, purchased from Amazon. On the Verizon menu my phone is shown as "ECOM SERVICE SKU" and the pass option is not available. Verizon chat help says:

• Amanda: Not all unlocked devices qualify for our Verizon specific options altho we do our best to make them as expansive as possible to cover as many options as we can! Usually the plan is where we run into trouble - older plans aren't compatible with the Travel Pass etc - but that's not the case here. In this instance, it looks like it's the phone itself that is holding us back.

I used my existing SIM from my GS6 to port the phone and it came right up without problems, except no WIFI calling. What to do?

Edited: Merged with an existing thread of similar nature.  -JM 

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors