Message 1 of 9

Will there be a successor of Moto X4?

Hello, 

Will there be a successor of Moto X4?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 582
Message 2 of 9

Re: Will there be a successor of Moto X4?

Thanks for your interest. For the latest on new products, visit your local Motorola marketing site. You can even sign up for updates.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

agriesser
Paper Tape
Views: 440
Message 3 of 9

Sadly, the short answer is no.

There is no real successor. In the end, Motorola decided to go for the budget market. The X4 and Z3 play are probably the last midrange class phones from Motorola. Spec wise, the G-line comes close to the X4, but not when it comes to quality (the G-line feels too plasticky IMHO). At least, we got the Android 9.0 update on the X4 (TBH, I did not count on it anymore after the horrendous update policy with the G5-line).

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 431
Message 4 of 9

@agriesser wrote:

Sadly, the short answer is no.

There is no real successor. In the end, Motorola decided to go for the budget market. The X4 and Z3 play are probably the last midrange class phones from Motorola. Spec wise, the G-line comes close to the X4, but not when it comes to quality (the G-line feels too plasticky IMHO). At least, we got the Android 9.0 update on the X4 (TBH, I did not count on it anymore after the horrendous update policy with the G5-line).

Interesting situation here.  A Moto employee is telling us to wait for the official answer, but a forum member is telling us the answer is no.  This is exactly how rumors start.

I don't care if it's a good guess or a bad guess.  The bottom line is that your opinion is just that: an opinion/guess.  You're welcome to express your opinions here, but please don't make them sound like facts.  

agriesser
Paper Tape
Views: 422
Message 5 of 9

Who said anything about waiting? Just cheap advertising and not getting to the point...  Nope, it's over 1.5 years ago since the X4, and the tech press gave up on the X5 in March 2018 after the layoffs (hardware updates are usually each year). Not seeing a X5 today in the shelfs so stop spreading false hope or share your source!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 420
Message 6 of 9

@agriesser wrote:

Who said anything about waiting? Just cheap advertising and not getting to the point...  Nope, it's over 1.5 years ago since the X4, and the tech press gave up on the X5 in March 2018 after the layoffs (hardware updates are usually each year). Not seeing a X5 today in the shelfs so stop spreading false hope or share your source!

I don't work for Moto, so there's no advertising, cheap or otherwise.  And if I had information before publication date, I certainly wouldn't share it.  NDAs mean a lot to me.  And I never share my sources..if I did, people would stop telling me their secrets.   ;-)

It's a public board, so if you choose to spread what many would consider to be bad news, that's your choice.  But a successor to the X4 does not necessarily have to have "X" in its name...does it?

agriesser
Paper Tape
Views: 407
Message 7 of 9

And I was not talking about you, just the Moto Agent from the thread. 

I'm just referring to what the tech community and press mentioned months ago (they probably have their sources too ;-)).. I would be pretty happy with a X5, but lately, many got disappointed by Motorola's policies (especially the messed up SW updates in the midrange sector). Waiting for the Moto Y XD.

Highlighted
Motoz
Punch Card
Views: 399
Message 8 of 9

IMO ~ No. 15 months since X4. Shame.

SomeNothingness
Token Ring
Views: 381
Message 9 of 9

While waiting for an official answer which would never come and if it did would be well beyond the event and timeline of validity I also do not believe there will be a successor such as an X5.

That's not to say that there won't be another model line very similar to The x with a different letter ro model number however there will be no X5.

That idea was given up months ago. Plus this phone has been out well beyond the time frame for an X5.

Even all of the newly-announced models fall in line with pretty much budget specifications.  we're not seeing a whole lot of progress past the Snapdragon 600 series. larger screens and bigger batteries are really all that we are seeing lately. Maybe a little extra storage and RAM.

as far as official support goes I have yet to find any information come in a timely fashion from anyone at Motorola and being a US based customer there's always some sort of hiccup in the translation either that or just poor grammar.

Top Kudoed Authors