Did you mean: 
Jeff856
Paper Tape
Views: 5,159
Message 1 of 22

X4 intermittently won't charge

Have a 1 month old project-fi x4. 

Occasionally it won't accept a charge. 

It shows that it is charging, but the battery level will not increase. When this is happening, it doesn't matter what charger/cable I use. The only thing that fixes it is a re-start of the phone. Then it's all good for a day or two until it starts again.

I've wiped phone and uninstalled all apps. This problem still occasionally pops up. 

Anybody have a fix?

P.s. got this phone after having a Nexus 5x for a few years. Quite an upgrade despite the charging issue.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 5,062
Message 2 of 22

Re: X4 intermittently won't charge

@Jeff856wrote:

Have a 1 month old project-fi x4. 

Occasionally it won't accept a charge. 

It shows that it is charging, but the battery level will not increase. When this is happening, it doesn't matter what charger/cable I use. The only thing that fixes it is a re-start of the phone. Then it's all good for a day or two until it starts again.

I've wiped phone and uninstalled all apps. This problem still occasionally pops up. 

Anybody have a fix?

P.s. got this phone after having a Nexus 5x for a few years. Quite an upgrade despite the charging issue.

Hi Jeff856,

Thanks for posting. Let's try to boot the device into safemode to make sure this is not caused by a third party app. Also please check if you have System Updates via Settings. Thanks.

To Enable Safe Mode:

1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.

2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

3. Touch OK when Reboot to safe mode appears

4. Phone will reboot and Safe Mode will appear in bottom left corner

5. If the issue does not remain in safe mode, this indicates a third party application installed from the Play Store is causing the problem.

6. Restart the device to get out of safe mode and uninstall any recently installed applications.

*** Begin by looking for specific application types such as launchers, task killers or anti-virus apps.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

bpatt28
What's DOS?
Views: 4,788
Message 3 of 22

I have the same issue, but the reboot in safe mode never appears after holding down on the Power off.  Any suggestions?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,769
Message 4 of 22

Hi bpatt28,

Thanks for updating me. 

To Enable Safe Mode:

1.  From an unlocked screen, Press and hold the Power key.

2.  Touch and hold Power off ON THE SCREEN.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

bpatt28
What's DOS?
Views: 4,764
Message 5 of 22

I got safe mode to work but it has now run the battery so low it won't turn on and does now charge.  

Reevos
Paper Tape
Views: 4,136
Message 6 of 22

I have been having this issue with a Moto x4 from project Fi as well. Only just over a month old before having the charging issue.

I can leave the phone on the charger overnight and it will increase battery from 5% to 10%. I have to keep the phone connected to power(usually portable usb battery) always. Very,very annoying for a new phone.

I have received 2 refurbished replacement phones from Project Fi. Both sealed and with a Motorola sticker. I assume Motorola provides the refurbished phones for Project Fi. Both replacements we're also defective, for different reasons. (The first replacement dropped from the coffee table onto our soft carpet. A fall of less than 2 feet. The phone had screen protector and a full protective case. No markings on anything outside on the phone. Phone looked brand new, but when turned on the screen was a kaleidoscope mess. I assume, when refurbishing, the touch sensitive screen wasn't secured correctly. 

Second phone arrived completely dead with zero charge. Hooked it up to the provided Motorola charger. After about a 10min charge it reached 5% and I turned it on without picking it up. After a few minutes I picked it up and it was extremely hot. A few seconds later it turned itself off.)

So now, I am still having to use the first original phone that requires the charger to be hooked up to it at all times. (Which Google Fi has now charged me an additional $400 + tax on because I haven't returned it to them fast enough). First replacement lasted less than a day, second replacement unusable right out of the box. How am I supposed to return first phone?

So.. sorry for the long story.. But.. I think I may have found the defect in the Motorola X4 that causes the battery charging issue. I downloaded a battery monitor app and it showed the temperature of the battery at negative 22 degrees Fahrenheit. This is obviously not correct.

When I pressed on the back of the phone near the Motorola symbol, the temperature now displayed 98 degrees. It still wasn't charging properly until I unplugged the charger and replugged it in. Now I was suddenly receiving full charging. I stopped applying pressure on the back of the phone. In about 15 seconds the battery temperature was once again displaying -22 degrees Fahrenheit and the charging went to almost nothing again.

I have now placed a coin inside my phone case in that spot on the back of the phone. The phone has been charging at full capacity for the last 20+ minutes. There is clearly a defect with this phone's temperature sensor which is causing the phone to think the battery is at an extreme temperature. The phone software must then tell the phone and/or charger to severely limit the charge.

Now the big questions.. How long will this "hack" last, and how do I get a proper, working Motorola phone? (And my $400+ additional cost to the original price I paid for the phone)

Reevos
Paper Tape
Views: 4,024
Message 7 of 22

I have been checking this string in hopes a Motorola representative would comment on this issue. What inside the phone requires pressure so that the temperature is read correctly so that my phone will charge.

Is this the specific reason many people are having charging issues? What is the resolution and fix?
Reevos
Paper Tape
Views: 4,022
Message 8 of 22

Further more, I went to the motorola portal for returns and repairs.. and upon entering all my information including phone number and EMEI, the website goes into a permanent "thinking circle" where it states "Retrieving device warranty and service information from Motorola. (Tried on mobile, tablet, and desktop).

How does one actually receive warranty service through Motorola? I see no phone number listed.
Vikram7890
What's DOS?
Views: 3,536
Message 9 of 22

My X4 is not charging since last 24 hrs. It got completely discharged and whenever I m connecting it to the charger , only charging sign is getting displayed for 5 sec but no % is showing even after hours of charging....

If I m trying to turn it on its showing 0% with connect to charger sign.

I tried charging many times in last 24 hrs. But unable to charge it even for 1%. Also checked with other charger and wire and connection as well.

Tori-marie
What's DOS?
Views: 3,489
Message 10 of 22

Thank you so much for this!!!!! I'm using two coins in the back of my case and now my phone is working again. I appreciate your taking the time to add this. 

Top Kudoed Authors