Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto X PhonesMoto X4
All Forum Topics
Options

5710 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3335 Signins

79001 Page Views

• Views: 79001
  • Message 11 of 25

Re: X4 not ringing

2019-04-08, 20:24 PM

Let's try this. Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > See All > Phone > Tap on Notifications. Please take a screenshot of this screen when you notice your phone is not ringing.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

4 Posts

04-04-2019

United States of America

6 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 12 of 25

2019-04-08, 20:28 PM

Will try it tonight. Have to put the SD card back in and reset first.

Options

3 Posts

08-16-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 13 of 25

2019-08-16, 19:19 PM

I have this problem as well on the Android One version or Google Fi, running Android 9 (Pie).  It is clearly a software bug - please file a bug with the dev team (would be nice if we could submit bugs in Bugzilla, Github etc.)

I haven’t found what circumstances trigger the issue (I suspect it’s something to do with the ridiculous ascending volume feature), however I have found a temporary work around (albeit a horrible one)

:

Change the ring tone, test, then change it back. Voila, the phone has ring volume once more.

(to change the ring tone: Settings > Sound > Phone ringtone > navigate to a new ringtone and select it)

Hope this helps someone.

Options

7 Posts

08-16-2019

United States of America

7 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 14 of 25

2019-08-16, 21:28 PM

For about three months now, I've been having an issue where my x4 will stop using the ringtone and go over to just vibrating for incoming calls.  It's not excessively frequent, but I seldom get more than three days after a reboot before it happens.  I suspect, but cannot yet confirm, that it kicks in when a call or a notification is received while the phone app is already actively handling an incoming call.  (At some point, I will test this theory using my other phones to simultaneously call from two lines, and to send a text while a call is connected.  This will have to be done during my Copious Spare Time, which means I'll get it done Real Soon Now, as long as this isn't a day ending in Y.)  I have also had the default notification sound go silent and stay that way as well; I suspect that the bugs are related. 

I'll test the "change the ringtone, then change it back" hack on the next occurrence of the incoming call ringtone bug.  And I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for more input.

Options

682 Posts

07-12-2011

Germany

173 Signins

1560 Page Views

• Views: 1560
  • Message 15 of 25

2019-08-19, 10:54 AM

Yep, similar thing happening to mine, and similarly as I have the same "Only Days off when there is no Y at the end" issue, and it always happens when I am very busy, no time to research fully, but I think you are on it. I also suspect "missed call", though I might have missed it because the phone did NOT ring. :smileytongue:

I posted the problem here, & was advised to "restart in safe mode and see if the problem occours again". Since a restart fixes it & I can't be running around for Days with the phone in safe mode just in case it fails, that advise was as much use as a chocolate Ashtray on a Motorbike.

Options

3 Posts

08-23-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 16 of 25

2019-08-23, 11:17 AM

I don't have a fix for this but this is a common issue for this phone and is 100% software related. I don't believe it's a 3rd party app causing it. I believe it's a Motorola pre installed app causing this such as actions/gestures/etc. Why I believe this is because in my household we have 4 Moto x4 phones and I own 2 phones (x4 and a Samsung work phone). I installed the same 3rd party apps on both my phones. So let's eliminate the speculation of 3rd party app causing this. 

Testing this in safe mode is clearly not feasible. This is what a call center worker would suggest because they have no clue about what's going on and they'll never figure it out because it doesn't happen often enough and also it temporarily fixes itself after a normal restart. But to avoid a restart you can go into sound settings and change the ringtone then it'll ring without needing to restart.

The above are temporary fixes. The phone needs this bug fixed with a proper software update and the only way to do it is to find out what is causing it. Can't uninstall any pre-installed Motorola apps but I'm going to try disabling all of them and see if this helps.

Options

3 Posts

08-23-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 17 of 25

2019-08-23, 11:30 AM

Will not let me disable app launcher but I disabled the rest of them. I hope this fixes it. 

Options

7 Posts

08-16-2019

United States of America

7 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 18 of 25

2019-08-23, 16:20 PM

The first attempt to use the "change ringtone, then change it back" workaround did not appear to have any effect.  I also tried cycling between silent, vibrate only, and both, with a call placed from my other line to observe whether it had done anything.  Also no change.  Then I got another call, and afterwards I just rebooted.  Until the bug pops up again, the reboot works, but it's not a fix.

Options

14146 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1304 Signins

177345 Page Views

• Views: 177345
  • Message 19 of 25

2019-09-03, 21:02 PM

Just backtracking on some post. Are you using mp3/downloaded ringtone? Does it happen with the stock app ringtone?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

47 Posts

08-17-2015

Germany

74 Signins

1027 Page Views

• Views: 1027
  • Message 20 of 25

2019-09-05, 10:47 AM
Stock app and stock sounds.
Moto X4 XT1900-7
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms