Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zamboni7
Paper Tape
Views: 774
Message 1 of 16

melted / burnt charger port

Hi all

My wife plugger her Moto X4 into the car charger last night and the phone started smoking from the charger port. We have both used this same charger on our X4's for months with no issues. I looked in the port and there is melted plastic and exposed metal. Has anyone had this problem? What will Motorola do in this case? Time to contact customer support....

Thx

M

SomeNothingness
Token Ring
Views: 756
Message 2 of 16

Re: melted / burnt charger port

I'd bet there was a circuit or fuse issue with the port or the block the cable plugs into, maybe even the alternator or voltage regulator.  For stuff to melt, there has to be a lot of power with no regulation.

I'd check the port and charging block.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 747
Message 3 of 16

Hi zamboni7,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I hope this finds you well. We'd like to know more about what happened. Kindly send me a private message with the following information:

Name: 

Best callback number: 

Email address: 

Phone IMEI number: 

Brief description of what transpired: 

Photos of both phone and charger: 

We will help. We will properly escalate this concern.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

zamboni7
Paper Tape
Views: 729
Message 4 of 16

Thanks JM - That's much appreciated. Just sent PM.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 724
Message 5 of 16

@zamboni7 wrote:
Thanks JM - That's much appreciated. Just sent PM.

I have passed this along to the proper team for assistance. They should be in touch with you as quickly as possible.

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

**Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

tylerd1232003
What's DOS?
Views: 666
Message 6 of 16

Hello, I just had a similar problem.  There wasn't smoke but the charger was SO HOT.  And it smelt of burning.  And now it only gets hot and smells when I connect it and will not charge.  Thank goodness I found mine before the smoke started.  How can I remedy this?

SomeNothingness
Token Ring
Views: 663
Message 7 of 16

I still think that the majority of the issues with people having hot Chargers and burning ports is more likely the charging block or the outlet used be it vehicle or home Outlet. If this was a battery controller issue with software and the hardware in the phone I would think it would be more prevalent.

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 654
Message 8 of 16

@SomeNothingness wrote:

I still think that the majority of the issues with people having hot Chargers and burning ports is more likely the charging block or the outlet used be it vehicle or home Outlet. If this was a battery controller issue with software and the hardware in the phone I would think it would be more prevalent.

I could certainly be wrong, but I agree with you.  A problem like this comes down to the user and his or her charging practices.  No, I'm not trying to remove blame from Moto (if there is any) but there are too many chargers out there, and while many of them are Moto, many of them are not...and not only that, but they're really cheap knock-offs that do exactly what's being described.  I'm not saying that everyone is using cheap knock-offs, but I am saying that if you are, it's a recipe for disaster.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 653
Message 9 of 16

@tylerd1232003 wrote:

Hello, I just had a similar problem.  There wasn't smoke but the charger was SO HOT.  And it smelt of burning.  And now it only gets hot and smells when I connect it and will not charge.  Thank goodness I found mine before the smoke started.  How can I remedy this?

Is that the charger that came in the box?  Whether it is or it isn't, step 1 is to stop using it.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 584
Message 10 of 16

@tylerd1232003 wrote:

The charging system and charging habits can certainly affect the health of the phone's battery. We recommend the following: 

- Use only the approved wall charger, one that shipped with the phone. Check to ensure both charger and USB cable are correct.
- Plug the charger into your device and connect to an electrical outlet. You may also try a different outlet.
- Is phone being used while charging? Using the phone while charging will impact the actual amount of charge a phone will receive.

- The type of charger used may impact battery performance. Use a wall charger whenever possible. Vehicle Power Adaptors and USB charging via a computer will charge at slower rates.

However, if the phone is not charging at all, I would recommend that you have it replaced. You may check and visit this link for your replacement options: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/mcp/service/

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors