Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Force
All Forum Topics
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

  • Posts: 28352
  • Registered: ‎02-02-2016
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 132765
  • Message 11 of 20

Re: 10W Wireless Charging

2018-04-29, 15:34 PM

 wrote:

I guess Lenovo W03 Fast Wireless Charging Pad is what they mean under "required compatible wireless charging pad, sold separately.

Anyone using it? I'm deciding on what to choose - OMARS that mentioned above as working at 10W or Lenovo W03.

They are pretty similar in size/features like rotatable top part.

W03 is more scratch resistive because of silicone top, have useful carrying case and should be smth like "canonical compatible maximum power" pad while Omars supports 15W charging (LG V30 only as for now) and will be purchase with benefits for future models... Besides i don't believe in such "sudden coincidence" with size and key elements design - the difference may be in plastic outer housing only. Price is identical too.

 


The one i linked to above has a silicone ring around the perimeter.  I am not sure if a 10W pad is enough to get the fastest charge - as I detailed above. The 15W pad chargers faster then the 10W as measured. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Reply
Options

31 Posts

01-27-2017

United States of America

139 Signins

1125 Page Views

  • Posts: 31
  • Registered: ‎01-27-2017
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 1125
  • Message 12 of 20

Re: 10W Wireless Charging

2018-04-29, 16:56 PM

What part and side of the circuit was measured to get 10W+ ratings?

I personally don't believe that "compatible" charging pad works better comparison to manufacturer's original made for this purpose.

Qi is working under specific standarts and is controlled by IC's to match charging specs. This is not like changing the poor microusb cable that limits the charging current will reveal the real charging capabilities, thus placing a 10W designed receiver at 15W transmitter will not "overclock" it to 12W under any conditions. You need to use specific IC's to match the newer standart and to obtain more, like with LG V30.


Based on Lenovo specs, you WILL obtain 10W designed at 9V input QC2.0, you've said you had none with this compatible Omar charger unless 12V is used.

 

Besides, Omar's pad comes with old microusb port, not type-c, used in 2nd gen Z line, right?

Reply
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

  • Posts: 28352
  • Registered: ‎02-02-2016
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 132765
  • Message 13 of 20

Re: 10W Wireless Charging

2018-04-29, 18:01 PM

 wrote:

What part and side of the circuit was measured to get 10W+ ratings?

I personally don't believe that "compatible" charging pad works better comparison to manufacturer's original made for this purpose.

Qi is working under specific standarts and is controlled by IC's to match charging specs. This is not like changing the poor microusb cable that limits the charging current will reveal the real charging capabilities, thus placing a 10W designed receiver at 15W transmitter will not "overclock" it to 12W under any conditions. You need to use specific IC's to match the newer standart and to obtain more, like with LG V30.


Based on Lenovo specs, you WILL obtain 10W designed at 9V input QC2.0, you've said you had none with this compatible Omar charger unless 12V is used.

 

Besides, Omar's pad comes with old microusb port, not type-c, used in 2nd gen Z line, right?


As mentioned above, i used an inline USB VA meter - it shows exactly what the volts and amps are as being used by the pad. 

 

@I don't know what you mean by overclock or integrated circuits (or how it matters). The charging pad is spec'd to deliver 15W. QC 2.0 charger i am using (Moto turbo charger) lists 12V @1.2A as one of its outputs - so all is acting as it should. And yest the pad is a micro-usb port. 

 

And yes, a 10W charging pad will not deliver 15W even with a higher output charger. That is why I bought a 15W charging pad. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Reply
Options

6 Posts

09-20-2018

Germany

7 Signins

162 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎09-20-2018
  • Location: Germany
  • Views: 162
  • Message 14 of 20

Re: 10W Wireless Charging

2018-09-20, 13:27 PM

Heya!

Sorry for posting this here, but this is the closest forum thread I found to provide actual solutions for this moto mod.
I got myself the wireless charging shell  for my moto Z2F and also can´t get 10W with my generic fast charger, only 5W...
While 5W is not too horrible, it´s the reason i bought this shell.
But anyhow my bigger issue is, that the shell charges the phone to 100% and then STOPS; when the phone reaches 99% (1/2h later) it STARTS charging again from 99% to 100%. Based on "accubattery app" this causes 10% battery cycle wear each time, so a lot when charging it throughout the night. That is really horrible for my battery!!! does anyone else have this issue and possibly a fix? Otherwise I´m gonna send this shell back.
I´m getting my 2200mah battery+wireless charging from China soon, hope that won´t have such issues.

Best regards and thanks for the support, WGecko

Reply
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

  • Posts: 28352
  • Registered: ‎02-02-2016
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 132765
  • Message 15 of 20

Re: 10W Wireless Charging

2018-09-21, 13:06 PM

 wrote:

Heya!

Sorry for posting this here, but this is the closest forum thread I found to provide actual solutions for this moto mod.
I got myself the wireless charging shell  for my moto Z2F and also can´t get 10W with my generic fast charger, only 5W...
While 5W is not too horrible, it´s the reason i bought this shell.
But anyhow my bigger issue is, that the shell charges the phone to 100% and then STOPS; when the phone reaches 99% (1/2h later) it STARTS charging again from 99% to 100%. Based on "accubattery app" this causes 10% battery cycle wear each time, so a lot when charging it throughout the night. That is really horrible for my battery!!! does anyone else have this issue and possibly a fix? Otherwise I´m gonna send this shell back.
I´m getting my 2200mah battery+wireless charging from China soon, hope that won´t have such issues.

Best regards and thanks for the support, WGecko


As mentioned above, you need specific charger and charging pad to get the 10W wireless charging. I have also found that the software for measuring charging and battery health is usually inaccurate. I certainly do not believe that 10% battery stat as it just doesn't make sense. 


* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Reply
Options

6 Posts

09-20-2018

Germany

7 Signins

162 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎09-20-2018
  • Location: Germany
  • Views: 162
  • Message 16 of 20

Re: 10W Wireless Charging

2018-09-24, 16:10 PM
First thanks for the quick reply.
I understood the thing with the 15W 12V requirement... I might get a "desertwest", as those specs should work - but only if my other issue is dealt with, otherwise I´ll simply send back the shell and be happy with the 2200mah wireless battery...

But let me ask again on my real issue here: could someone kindly check, whether their mod only charges their phone, without actively maintaining 100 percent, or if it drops?
Because for me, the battery eventually drops to 99%, then recharging, etc. - Resulting in totally unnecessary battery cycling.

That would be a huge help, thanks!
Reply
Options

402 Posts

10-16-2014

United States of America

2310 Signins

25039 Page Views

  • Posts: 402
  • Registered: ‎10-16-2014
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 25039
  • Message 17 of 20

Re: 10W Wireless Charging

2018-09-25, 23:57 PM

 wrote:
the battery eventually drops to 99%, then recharging, etc. - Resulting in totally unnecessary battery cycling.

That would be a huge help, thanks!

I read somewhere that with LiPO's, a 50% to 100% charge counts as 1/2 of a charge cycle, not a full cycle.  Based on this logic, 99% to 100% "top off" hardly counts.  You MIGHT be worrying about nothing.  Then again, maybe you're right.   I hope someone who actually knows will correct me if this is wrong.

The only truly stupid question is the one you SHOULD have asked - but DIDN'T.
Reply
Options

6 Posts

09-20-2018

Germany

7 Signins

162 Page Views

  • Posts: 6
  • Registered: ‎09-20-2018
  • Location: Germany
  • Views: 162
  • Message 18 of 20

Re: 10W Wireless Charging

2018-09-26, 10:05 AM
"Most Li-ions charge to 4.20V/cell, and every reduction in peak charge voltage of 0.10V/cell is said to double the cycle life. For example, a lithium-ion cell charged to 4.20V/cell typically delivers 300–500 cycles. If charged to only 4.10V/cell, the life can be prolonged to 600–1,000 cycles; 4.0V/cell should deliver 1,200–2,000 and 3.90V/cell should provide 2,400–4,000 cycles."

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

The ion gradient from 4,10 to 4,20V is pretty steep!
So that alone is half a cycle off the battery life

I got lot´s of experience with Li-ion, because of RC racing, back in the days ;)
Reply
Options

14 Posts

09-21-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

23 Signins

121 Page Views

  • Posts: 14
  • Registered: ‎09-21-2017
  • Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 121
  • Message 19 of 20

Re: 10W Wireless Charging

2019-05-02, 11:50 AM

Where can I buy :

https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-mods/moto-style-shell-with-wireless-charging

Reply
Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2720 Signins

25620 Page Views

  • Posts: 3764
  • Registered: ‎04-04-2013
  • Location: United States of America
  • Views: 25620
  • Message 20 of 20

Re: 10W Wireless Charging

2019-05-02, 11:59 AM

 wrote:

Where can I buy :

https://www.motorola.co.uk/products/moto-mods/moto-style-shell-with-wireless-charging


In the US, on Amazon and eBay.  Moto has been out of stock for a long time.

~Scott
Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms