05-24-2018

US

10 Signins

148 Page Views

• Views: 148
  • Message 1 of 9

Alert notification sounds but no notifications. Moto Z Force 2

2018-05-31, 12:00 PM

I receive an alert notification sound maybe every ten minutes during the day, but can't figure out what the notification is for.  It's the same tone as email or a text message.  It does not happen late at night, just during the day.  I've disabled notifications on just about everything and still have not disabled the mystery notification sound.  Under my settings - apps & notifications - noifications, it tells me the numer of apps where notifications is off, but it does not say what is on.  How do I know what is on?  Yahoo notifiaction is disabled.    Is there a notification sound when the phone moves back and forth from roaming?  I disabled roaming, but then started to get real notificatins that roaming was disabled.  Any thoughts?  Moto Z Force 2    Thanks, David

Solved! See the solution
Options

8650 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1021 Signins

135472 Page Views

• Views: 135472
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Alert notification sounds but no notifications. Moto Z Force 2

2018-05-31, 16:12 PM

Hi DBCriss,

Thanks for posting. I think you're receiving an emergency alert notification. You will receive an alert if there's a broadcast near your location. You can turn it off under the same settings just scroll down at the bottom you should see Emergency Broadcasts, try toggling off each category under that settings. Let me know how it goes. Thanks. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5838 Signins

132750 Page Views

• Views: 132750
  • Message 3 of 9

2018-05-31, 18:04 PM

wrote:

I receive an alert notification sound maybe every ten minutes during the day, but can't figure out what the notification is for.  It's the same tone as email or a text message.  It does not happen late at night, just during the day.  I've disabled notifications on just about everything and still have not disabled the mystery notification sound.  Under my settings - apps & notifications - noifications, it tells me the numer of apps where notifications is off, but it does not say what is on.  How do I know what is on?  Yahoo notifiaction is disabled.    Is there a notification sound when the phone moves back and forth from roaming?  I disabled roaming, but then started to get real notificatins that roaming was disabled.  Any thoughts?  Moto Z Force 2    Thanks, David

Have you tested in safe mode? Safe mode should block all 3rd party apps - this may help determine if it is a setting or an app.

To reboot into safe mode, tap the power button until you see power off on screen. Then tap and hold power off (on screen) and a new menu will appear to reboot into safe mode.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

5 Posts

05-24-2018

US

10 Signins

148 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2018-06-23, 11:52 AM

I'm getting more accustomed to this phone and have more of clue as to what's happening.  I've poor reception on my farm and worse in a barn.  When I go into a barn I might get the mystery notification sound every few minutes.  Leaving the barn it slows down to maybe every 20 minutes.  I think it's telling me it's roaming.  I don't mind if it roams but I don't want it to tell me it's roaming.  When in town I get the mystery notifications much less often.  How do I turn off notifications for roaming?  Thanks, David

Options

3 Posts

07-31-2018

DE

3 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 5 of 9

2018-07-31, 12:13 PM

My mother-in-law's phone (also a Motorola) did the same - in the end, it was (as you suspected) the phone relentlessly telling her she was roaming whenever she connected to another carrier than Verizon (which happens a lot when she visits us in Germany ;)). I guess it's same when you're on your farm - and whenever you are out of reach of "your" carrier. And yes, it's pretty annoying to have it "ding" every few minutes.

Possible solutions were:

• turn roaming off
    Would leave her here (and you in your barn) without contact to the outer world. Was no alternative for us.
  • set phone to flight mode
    No calls, texts, etc. would come through, either. Rather pointless (unless you enjoy taking off the communicative shackle, which is nice every once in a while)
  • turn phone off
    Effect the same as setting it to flight mode. 
  • turn phone to "silent"
    You still see what came in when you check your screen, but again, you won't hear calls coming in.
  • SOLVED our problem (on a Verizon phone): turn off roaming notification (after finally finding it...)
    1. Go to "Settings"
    2. Tap "Apps & Notifications"
    3. Tap "Notifications"
    4. Tap "Notifications" (yes, again, it's a new point, on her phone with a bell next to it)
    5. Tap the three little dots at the top-right corner of the next screen
    6. Tap "Show system" in the little menu that drops down then
    7. Scroll way down to the entries called "Phone" (there are three of them on her phone)
    8. Tap the third "Phone" entry (on her phone, it has a generic android icon next to it, not a telephone handset)
    9. There you'll see "Verizon Roaming Status", but the switch will be grayed out (can't change it)
    10. Instead tap the words "Verizon Roaming Status"
    11. Tap "Importance"
    12. Set it to "Medium" (=no sound anymore, but you'll still see the icon, a triangle in her case, in the status bar indicating that you're roaming) or "Low" (=you won't be notified at all when you're roaming)...we chose "Medium" and enjoyed the ensuing silence.

Did the trick for us and restored sanity. Hope it helps!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

05-24-2018

US

10 Signins

148 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2018-07-31, 13:18 PM

How'd you figure that out?  No way on Earth I'd of solved that issue.  Thanks so much!  It's so peaceful to not get mystery notifications.  Gotta wonder why Moto has the default setting to notify me when roaming as that has no benefit to today's cell phone plans.  Thanks again, very much appreciated.  David

Options

3 Posts

07-31-2018

DE

3 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 7 of 9

2018-07-31, 13:47 PM

You're welcome, David. I just took some clues I got from other forums that named the app notifications as possible culprit and then used trial-and-error to see which app could possibly be responsible. Though a bit tedious, it was much better than having my mother-in-law's phone driving everyone up the wall here. ;)

Best, Wolf

Options

1 Posts

09-16-2019

US

1 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 8 of 9

2019-09-16, 20:10 PM

I have the same problem, non-stop notification alerts. I have tried everything suggested. Changed every setting I could think of.

I've been a Motorola user for years but I have to say with all the quirks in these new Z  phones, especially when you update (but you are forced to do) Motorola is quickly becoming the most overpriced and the biggest hassle of any of its competitors.

How in the world do I stop these notifications?

Options

8650 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1021 Signins

135472 Page Views

• Views: 135472
  • Message 9 of 9

2019-09-19, 20:14 PM

Hi Kraiten1,

Thanks for posting on this thread. I'd like to confirm, how often did you get this notification sound? Do you see any visual notification? Does it happen in safe mode?

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save