10-03-2018

US

20 Signins

153 Page Views

• Views: 153
  • Message 1 of 24

Black Screen Camera

2018-10-03, 9:54 AM

I have a z2 force and yesterday my camera quit working. When I open the app it's generally a black screen. Sometimes I can see what I am trying to take a pic of. Once the phone was totally unresponsive and restarted after a moment. I had not installed any new apps and I don't install junk apps anyway. 

I did a force stop, clear cache, clear memory, uninstall updates, installed updates, rebooted to safe mode and it still doesn't work. 

Another camera app works fine.

Edited: Title change for clarity - Rich

Moto Z2 Force on Verizon in USA
Options

8752 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1027 Signins

136272 Page Views

• Views: 136272
  • Message 2 of 24

Re: Safe Mode Boot Problem: Stuck In Safe Mode

2018-10-03, 21:26 PM

Hi Gubni,

Thanks for posting. I'd like to confirm, the title on the thread is stuck in safe mode, are you having this issue too? Regarding the camera, are you having issues both with the front and the rear camera? Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

19 Posts

10-03-2018

US

20 Signins

153 Page Views

• Message 3 of 24

2018-10-04, 10:14 AM

I am not stuck in safe mode. I am not sure how why my post showed up there. Can you move it for me please?

I went to my profile to fill out the info you requested, but I am unable to find any editable fields other than avatar in a timely manner. I am using a Moto z2 Force on Verizon sn: *Removed*

The camera function does not work well enough for me to be able to switch cameras with the OEM app. Another app works fine. I uninstalled all updates, cleared cache, cleared data, and rebooted to safe mode and had the same problem. Yes it's ok to check my apps.

Edited: for privacy - Rich

Options

8752 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1027 Signins

136272 Page Views

• Message 4 of 24

2018-10-04, 15:39 PM

Hi Gubni,

I'd like to confirm, are you using an SD card? If so, I would suggest to unmount it and see if it will help. If the issue perisist, we might have to factory data reset and the phone. I recommend not to reinstall/install any third-party apps/files before testing the camera, so we can be sure it's not apps/files causing an issue. If you have important files, kindly back them up so you won't lose any of them. Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

19 Posts

10-03-2018

US

20 Signins

153 Page Views

• Message 5 of 24

2018-10-05, 11:40 AM

I removed teh SD card and rebooted and it did not fix the problem. I believe you that a factory reset will fix the problem, but that is very time consuming for me. What other options are there? Did you take a look at my apps?

Options

8752 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1027 Signins

136272 Page Views

• Message 6 of 24

2018-10-05, 18:44 PM

Hi Gubni,

Thanks for trying. I did check your apps, the only apps that's frequently crashing I'm seeing this past few days is the Play Services, I don't think it will somehow affect the camera. Can you please check if all your apps are updated on Playstore? Also, check if you have any security updates. Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

19 Posts

10-03-2018

US

20 Signins

153 Page Views

• Message 7 of 24

2018-10-07, 11:28 AM

I keep my apps up to date. I checked play store for updates and there are none available.

I checked for system updates and it is up to date.

Andriod version 8.0.0

Current version ODXS27.109-34-17

Security patch level: September 1, 2018

I restarted the phone and I still have the same problem.

I went to the camer app settings and then force stop, cleared cache, cleared memory, I unsintalled updates, force stop, cleared cache, cleared memory, and restarted to safe mode.

At first it was a black screen. I closed it and reopened it and it worked! It asked a few new user questions and I took a pic and it seemed ok. I shook it to switch to front camera and it crashed. I reopened and it was just an unresponsive black screen. While still in safe mode I went to settings, force stop, clear cache, and clear memory and it was still unresponsive when I opened the camera.

I restarted and went to my other camera app and both front and rear cameras work fine.

Options

8752 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1027 Signins

136272 Page Views

• Message 8 of 24

2018-10-09, 18:51 PM

Hi Gubni,

Thanks for confirming. This is odd. I'm thinking if it's a hardware failure. I would suggest doing the factory data reset (Settings > Reset > Factory Data Reset) without installing/reinstalling any third-party apps, so we can isolate the software issue. If you have important files please back them so you won't lose any of it. Let me know.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Options

19 Posts

10-03-2018

US

20 Signins

153 Page Views

• Message 9 of 24

2018-10-09, 19:15 PM

I don't want to do a factory reset. I understand your feeling about hardware, but if it was hardware then why does another app work fine?

Options

19 Posts

10-03-2018

US

20 Signins

153 Page Views

• Message 10 of 24

2018-10-11, 13:05 PM

So why would another camera app work and the moto camera app not work? Do we need to escalate this to tier 2?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save