03-09-2018

US

15 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 1 of 5

Edited Contacts not saving changes

2018-04-02, 18:56 PM

On 03/09/18 I posted ref periodically getting an alert some contacts could not be sync'd because of a conflict. I have now determined that the conflict has to do with the native Contacts app in my fairly new Moto Z2 Force not always being able to retain changes made when a contact is edited, then saved. This become more apparent when a ph # is edited and the choice selected is Custom, with a label (in my case, Business Fax or even Work Fax) typed in. The change shows up right away, but when the Contact is Saved, the label reverts to just "Other." This causes a conflict my sync'g to my Outlook.com web page. My Moto Z2 Force default Contacts app just says Build ver 1.7.10, and is apparently based on an Apache Open Source license. Is there a later ver of this app, or is there another Contacts app I can download that will still sync to Outlook.com (not just to Google)?

Options

5405 Posts

07-12-2014

US

925 Signins

79600 Page Views

• Views: 79600
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Edited Contacts not saving changes

2018-04-03, 19:06 PM

Hi DepotTech18,

This is quite odd. We have tried duplicating the issue you have following the steps we thought you have done, but we are unable to duplicate it. I know it could be a little tedious, but, could you get us a video showing exactly how you are doing the contact edit and sync on your Outlook account? Please send the video via a private message to me. I will have someone from the product team take a look at it.

Also, please update your profile with the IMEI number of your phone and your carrier. If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Regards,
JM
Motorola Support

Options

8 Posts

03-09-2018

US

15 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2018-04-03, 21:13 PM

Not sure how to make a video of this, nor how to reply privately. I did update my IMEI, etc info, on this site, verified Privacy settings on the phone, and do allow you and your co-workers access to my apps as needed for troubleshooting. All I am trying to do is ensure my contacts sync accurately. I mainly use my Win 10 Desktop, with Outlook sync'g from the Outlook.com web site to the People app on the Desktop. MS replaced Active Sync with an Outlook app for the Android > year ago, so when I got the Moto Z2 I installed that Outlook app. Recently MS support informed me their app does not have a contacts part within it, but instead "uses the native contacts app of the Android phone." I only have 77 contacts, and 20 of those have a fax #. I force closed both the Outlook Mobile and the native Contacts apps. I cleared the Outlook Mobile cache. I then powered off the Moto Z2. I manually updated each of the 77 contacts on the Outlook.com web site. I verified the People app on the Desktop now had all the correct info, and to play safe, I saved a screen shot of each of those contacts. I then turned the Moto Z2 back on. As expected, all the entries matched the Outlook.com entries, except the naming. On Outlook.com it says Business Fax, and on the Moto Z2 Contacts it says work Fax. Not a problem. Within a few hours, every one of the fax #s on the Moto Z2 Contacts app changed from Work Fax (1 was a Home Fax) to just "Other." On the Outlook.com web page, they still say "Business Fax." I then edited 1 of the contacts on the Moto Z2 using that Contacts app. I changed it from Other to Custom, typing in Work Fax. Saved it. Showed Work for the work # and Work Fax for the fax #. Great, except within an hour it went back to just showing "other" for the fax #. Something is causing the Contacts in the Moto Z2 native app to not retain Custom wording. I suspect the Outlook Mobile app, as Outlook.com retains the correct wording, but have no way to prove that. Hope this helps determine the problem, and from there a way to resolve it.

Options

8 Posts

03-09-2018

US

15 Signins

90 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2018-04-04, 10:54 AM

Additional troubleshooting. Last night I Force stopped the Outlook Mobile app, and cleared it's cache. I then added a Work Fax # to a contact that previously had no such #. When Saved, the native Contacts app showed the Work # and the new Work Fax # properly. Outlook.com web page and Outlook Mobile showed only the Work #. I restarted the Moto Z2, thus unstopping the Outlook Mobile app. At that time, and almost 12 hrs later, the native Contacts app still showed both # correctly labeled. The Outlook Mobile showed the Work # labaled, and while it had the new Fax # showing, there was no label. Outlook.com web site had the Work # ok, and had the new fax # but labeled as Other.This morning I went into the Outlook Mobile settings and reset the acct. Immediately, the native Contacts display changed to Work # as it was, and now the new fax # was labeled as Other. No changes to the Outlook Mobile display nor the Outlook.com display, as neither of them had been showing Work Fax as they should have been.

Options

5405 Posts

07-12-2014

US

925 Signins

79600 Page Views

• Views: 79600
  • Message 5 of 5

2018-04-06, 18:42 PM

Hi DepotTech18,

We tried duplicating this concern but we were unable to. We'd like to learn more about this so we can assist further. I send you a PM. Please check it.

Regards,

JM

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete