Options

100 Posts

11-04-2016

US

153 Signins

1564 Page Views

• Views: 1564
  • Message 41 of 62

Re: Group Texting not working as intended.

2017-12-11, 16:19 PM
It really is a shame, I switched to a LG V20, since the Z2 was so cheap, I still have it, just not using it
Options

4 Posts

12-11-2017

US

8 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 42 of 62

2017-12-12, 0:13 AM

I just got my Moto Z2 Force on T-Mobile last week (purchased the phone from T-Mobile) and I am having the same issue. I contacted T-Mobile and they had me try a new SIM card and sent some OTA updates to my phone. I waited until over the weekend to see if it would start working, but it did not change. I just called T-Mobile support again tonight and they had me reset my APNs, but that did not work, so the rep from T-Mobile then got Motorola support on the line. The rep at Motorola informed us that they are aware of this, but they did not say that it was a bug or an issue! The Motorola rep stated that you can send a group message and the responses come back as individual texts. She said that this is how this phone works. When I asked if it was a bug that Motorola was working on and if a fix was coming out in a future update, she would not say it was a bug or something that Motorola was working on fixing. She even went onto say that all Motorola phones work this way! That it was a "feature" of the phone! Well that is unfortunate and quite a lie! My wife just got a Motorola G5 Plus at the same time I got my Z2 Force and her messaging works great. Prior to this, I had a Moto X Pure Edition and it worked great for messaging.

If this is "the way that this phone works" then, that is a problem. I mean come on Motorola/Lenovo, it is 2017 (almost 2018) and group messaging isn't a new technology that should be having issues. I know that RCS is a new technology and perhaps your RCS implementation or T-Mobile's RCS implementation is still in testing, but until then, can we please have a working device? Can you disable RCS until it is fixed? I am still within my return window at T-Mobile and unfortunately would hate to take advantage of it, but it sounds like Motorola is doing nothing about this issue. If there is a Motorola/Lenovo moderator in here @moto_ella or @ella_moto please let us know what is going on. This has to be a software issue, because I can't imagine that there is some hardware that is causing this limitation. The hardware in this phone is no different than every other manufacturers device and their messaging app works just fine. Also, please tell us whether this is an issue only on T-Mobile issued Z2 Force phones or on all Z2 Force phones. 

Also, I am a long time Motorola customer (Motorola Photon, G3, Moto X Pure Edition 2015, G5 Plus, Z2 Force). I really want to like this phone, but this issue needs to be addressed. I cannot go 2 years with a phone that does not work with Group Messaging. I mean, would you?. Please tell us if a fix is coming, or is at least possible.

We all await your timely response!

Options

240 Posts

12-18-2013

US

187 Signins

1866 Page Views

• Views: 1866
  • Message 43 of 62

2017-12-12, 0:29 AM

Any chance you'd be willing to try Signal for your messaging? I don't even know if my VZW phone has this issue, honestly, because I use Signal which is a fantastic, and encrypted, SMS Replacement. Won't kill you try try it for a few days. Ive used it for 4 years across 3 phones.  I'm very curious if it would work for you guys. It handles my group SMS perfectly. 

Options

4 Posts

12-11-2017

US

8 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 44 of 62

2017-12-12, 3:25 AM

I will look at Signal. I just tried Textra and it works, however messages come in twice. Once as a group and once individually. Motorola won't recommend 3rd party apps, but T-Mobile recommended Next SMS.

Options

80 Posts

08-25-2017

US

121 Signins

719 Page Views

• Views: 719
  • Message 45 of 62

2017-12-12, 3:35 AM

I shouldn't have to use any 3rd party app. This is a 0 day basic thing that should have been caught in dogfood.

With our luck it will take Oreo to fix it which who knows when that will show up

Options

240 Posts

12-18-2013

US

187 Signins

1866 Page Views

• Views: 1866
  • Message 46 of 62

2017-12-12, 4:49 AM

Isn't that why we love Android? Don't like the browser? Try a new one with 100% functionality. That's why I'm on Android. Hell, I switch browsers like socks. Ive used 6 or 7 different SMS clients at least. My apologies for this comment but "it should work stock" is a stupid reason to not try one of the over 20 alternatives out there. You should get an iPhone if you're too stubborn to even try another one. My God, I'd be stuck on Verizon's **bleep**ty message app if I never switched. Ewww. 

Try. Another. One. And check it out...a lot of the other ones are better then the stock one. With signal I can use a dark theme. I can set my contacts to whatever colors I want. I can have a different notification sound with each group or person. 

Don't let stubbornness ruin a good phone for you. That's crazy. 

Options

2 Posts

12-11-2017

US

4 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 47 of 62

2017-12-12, 5:30 AM

I've tried all of them. Same issue.

Options

100 Posts

11-04-2016

US

153 Signins

1564 Page Views

• Message 48 of 62

2017-12-12, 10:58 AM
This is not a stock app issue, this is a T-Mobile/Moto issue.

There are issues with group messages regardless if you use stock or a 3rd party app.

For some reason Moto doesn't know how to work with T-Mobile.

Which is probably also why the T-Mobile variant is on the August security patch and others are on November
Options

381 Posts

10-16-2014

US

2306 Signins

25014 Page Views

• Views: 25014
  • Message 49 of 62

2017-12-12, 14:36 PM

wrote:
This is not a stock app issue, this is a T-Mobile/Moto issue.

There are issues with group messages regardless if you use stock or a 3rd party app.

For some reason Moto doesn't know how to work with T-Mobile.

Which is probably also why the T-Mobile variant is on the August security patch and others are on November

I don't use Group Texting, so I have no idea whether I have a problem with it or not.  But I just got my T-Mo Z2F, & it's still on August security patches, too.  And I've made several calls to T-Mo support trying to get their Visual Voicemail working, too.  I just got VV working thanks to this forum when their 2nd level tech support couldn't help me.  So I think you're right about their not working together.

The only truly stupid question is the one you SHOULD have asked - but DIDN'T.
Options

100 Posts

11-04-2016

US

153 Signins

1564 Page Views

• Message 50 of 62

2017-12-12, 14:47 PM

My very first Z2 Force wouldn't connect to Visual Voicemail either. I got that at launch, I spent a full day with T-Force and support and nothing worked.

I could take the SIM out and put it in another phone and it worked fine. 

They eventually sent me a replacement and Visual Voicemail worked right out of the box for that one 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete