Options

3 Posts

11-05-2019

US

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Views: 43
  • Message 1 of 7

Moto Z2 Force freezes on inbound/outbound calls, Wifi degraded (US, Verizon, Android 9)

2019-11-05, 23:13 PM

Opening a new thread to further highlight the community issues after the android 9 update.  It appears that wifi degredation, screen freezes, and failure to place or accept calls are all a common issue after the update.  I wanted to provide my specific issue to further facilitate a response or solution from Lenovo.

Phone Specs:

Model: Z2 Force XT1789-01

Serial Number: Will provide if needed.

Build Number: PCX29.159-21, 17 August 2019

Configuration Updated: 05 November 2019

IMEI: I'll share privately if needed.

Motorola improvement and enhanced device support: enabled

Debugging and log reports: Can provide privately if needed.

Android Version: 9

Baseband version: M8998_52.74.02.96R NNS

Kernal Version: 4.4.153-perf-gf9e16d5 # 1 Tue Jun 18 CDT 2019

Android security patch level: June 1, 2019

SIM Status: Verizon, In Service, LTE

ICCID: Will share privately if needed.

Wifi Usage: 2.4 and 5.0GHZ unstable/slow

Bluetooth: Multiple devices remembered and connected frequently

Screen Lock: Pin

Smart Lock: trusted devices only

Lock Screen: Show all notifications

Fingerprint:Enabled

Encrypted

Phone App: Native,  Version 23.0, Display over other apps and modify system settings allowed, all permissions allowed, notificaitons on. Voice Privacy is enabled, auto-retry is disabled, Wifi Calling is disabled

I think thast enough info on the phone itself.

The problem:

For about a month, after updating to Android 9, the phone will sparodically, regardless of up time or environment, fail to receive or place calls.  The call app screen freezes if you select the call send/receive button, all other buttons are grayed out, and the call does not complete.  Incoming calls are routed to VM.  The phone will then enter a state where it acts as if it is currently on a call, and cannot complete other tasks not allowed while currently on a call.  After about 30 seconds, the call-end tone will sound.  After this occurs once, this entire process will continue to occur for placed/received calls until the phone is rebooted.  Once the phone is rebooted, calls can then be placed or recieved successfully, but after an unspecified amount of hours, the issue will remanifest itself. Also, Wifi performance has been unstable.  Application internet connections will hang/freeze until wifi is turned off and mobile data is established, then functionality returns to normal. These errors occur while on/off bluetooth audio call devices, on/off cable charger, on/off incepio car dock, and on/off projector and speaker motomods. Other issues is when calls are successfully placed or answered, they do so with the mute button activated - This just be poor design of Android 9, but the proximity screen lock during calls seems not as responsive as it once was.

Attempted troubleshooting:

Factory reset - issue persists.

Safemode boot - unable to replicate in safe mode, but persists after booting again normally.

Disable Android Digital Wellbeing and dependecies, clear cache - issue persists.

Change default phone application - Issue persists, native application restored.

Disable Verizon Call Filter - Issue persists.

Enable/Disable HD Calling - Issue persists.

Glass Screen protector removed - Issue persists, replaced with TPU screen protector, issue persists.

I have not found a way to test the proximity sensor yet.

Requesting resolution from Lenovo:

Theres enough occurances and information in the wild to troubleshoot this issue.  I'm an IT professional, and to see this issue go unresolved while I've patiently waited for Lenovo to issue a fix is unacceptable in our field.  I understand the struggles of troubleshooting, issue replciation, and patching, but to not repair an issue that disrupts the most basic and most important function of these devices is deplorable.  I have an important job, and this siginficantly impacts my ability to perform that job.

I've been a moto customer for close to 10 years and had several iterations of flagship and non flagship phones, both new and used.  They've generally provided solid performance, surviving extended use in austere environments where other phones break.  Though I'm an avid supporter of the moto line, recommend their products to others, and myself heavily invested in Mods and phone hardware, this may be the last moto product I purchase.  The one recurring issue with your phones and support is they fail after 2 years of life, almost religously and with similar symptoms - Screen freezes, call failures, slow data connectivity, etc.  This is the 3rd successive moto phone I have had that abruptly begins to fail at the 2 year ownership mark or immediatly after I pay off the phone (all with verizon).  It's no secret that smart phones have a general life expectency of 2 years and manufacturers push consumers to puchase new hardware after a severe degredation in performance after that mark.  I know all to well the manufactures are not focused on supporting obsolete hardward.  One could even say that this is an unethical means of pushing customers to a new platform. Regardless of the reason, it's absurd we don't have a resolution or explination.

The people who purchase your phones are community of educated consumers.  We know what we're buying and expect a level of support.  Things break in the world of IT, and if you can't fix it, be honest with your customer base, and implement a proper solution until a lasting fix can be implemented.  Demonstrate a commitment to your customer base.  Offer a replacement or discounted upgrade path, do something. We're here becuase we hold your products in higher regard that companies like Apple and Sumsung.  

I would appreciate a response with the specific actions taken to resolve this issue for the community, and the expteced time to resolution.  Thank you.

Options

34 Posts

07-18-2019

IT

66 Signins

500 Page Views

• Views: 500
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Moto Z2 Force freezes on inbound/outbound calls, Wifi degraded (US, Verizon, Android 9)

2019-11-11, 11:23 AM

Take a look here, 21+ pages about these issues

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-Force/Moto-Z2-Force-wifi-issues-after-Android-9-Pie-update/td-p/4507556

Options

3 Posts

11-05-2019

US

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re: Moto Z2 Force freezes on inbound/outbound calls, Wifi degraded (US, Verizon, Android 9)

2019-11-11, 15:08 PM

Thanks, I've been following that thread for a while.  This was more about raising the thread count and trying to promote a better response from lenovo.  Support emails and other threads haven't gotten us very far.  

I saw your comments about wifi standard.  My phone was exhibiting issues on an exclusively 2.4 G home network, as my verizon fios N network never functioned correctly, seemed to always lose the established WPA2 key.  I've since switched to an ac connection via a seperate router but still have b/g engabled, and my wifi issues have subsided for a week.  Failed call connections were still happening, so I've simply adopted the daily habit of restarting my phone every morning to attempt to prevent the issue. Haven't had any issues since, and everything else seems to run better as well-wifi is faster, bluetooth connects faster, operation is smoother.  A new symptom I have though is my camera is starting to slow way down or crash - Trying to take a picture is like watching a video buffer, it skips around and can't focus.  

I think its a wrap on moto phones for me.  I was just gonna cut my losses and get a g6 or g7 during the sale but other threads and communities are reporting similar issues across the board with moto phones and android 9.  Seems to be affecting other manufacturers as well, and even pixles have problems.  There's a trend going into this holiday season that looks like only the latest phones with the latest OS's are working properly.  If someone made a android one compliant 5" phone that's US LTE capable i'd buy it in a heart beat.  Sucks that only 6" phones are available now. I miss my moto razr M, and thers no way in hell I'm shelling out $1500 for the new razr.

Options

2 Posts

01-10-2014

MX

3 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 4 of 7

2019-11-26, 20:52 PM

I got exactly the same issue with my phone

Did you find something to fix?

Im still looking for information, I remeber having this issues since android 8 was released

But now on Android 9 this happend everyday

For now I have no other option that reebot phone everyday at morning but even doing that the issue still ocurrs.

Options

3 Posts

11-05-2019

US

4 Signins

43 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2019-11-28, 13:19 PM

I have not found a fix.  However, I have not had any issues since I havebeen restarting my phone once a day.  I can't afford to miss calls in my current line of work so i'm afraid of testing what happens if I don't restart my phone.

I've made the decision to move on from android and motorola after 10 years.  I will be purchasing thew new Iphone SE 2 in the spring.  I'm not happy with google as a company anymore, and I'm no longer doing power use things with android.  Ontop of that, nearly all manufacturers as of late have been struggling to produce reliable android phones.  

Options

2 Posts

12-08-2019

US

1 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 6 of 7

2019-12-09, 0:02 AM

Same problem for me did you ever get a solution?  

Options

1 Posts

10-27-2019

US

3 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 7 of 7

2020-01-26, 1:12 AM

Yep same issue here.  Randomly can't accept or make calls, have to restart phone to fix it.  I was following that old thread too, but it was closed with an update that my phone had not yet received.  I'm on PCX29. 159-21-3.  Like op, I'm a long time Motorola user and have never had any issues with their phones and it's really frustrating that as soon as I pay it off, it starts failing the most basic operation of a phone.  Hoping Lenovo doesn't ignore this.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save