Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Force
All Forum Topics

Moto Z2 Force signal strength

2019-05-17, 2:59 AM

Just got back from vacation and was disappointed with the signal strength,  on my 6 month old Z2 force.

My friend and I both have ATT service, she has an iphone. There were a number of places she had full service and I had nothing with my Moto Z2 Force.  

In the areas where I had no service with ATT and everyone else did. I did try rebooting, removing the case and safe mode without luck.

Here's some current numbers:

Android 8.0.0   Android Security Patch level: November 1, 2018

Signal strength using my ATT sim

Signal strength - no case                              -106 dBm 28 asu

Signal strength - no case - "SAFE MODE"  -112 dBm 32 asu

Signal Strength on my friends ATT sim

Signal strength - no case                              -116 dBm 24 asu

Signal strength - no case - "SAFE MODE"  -112 dBm 23 asu

It appears the problem is not:

- the installed apps (safe mode)

- the sim (I tried an alternate)

- case (removed case)

Please advise.

Thanks,

Mike

Options

8589 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1017 Signins

135057 Page Views

• Views: 135057
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Moto Z2 Force signal strength

2019-05-17, 20:25 PM

Hi MMCCX,

Thanks for posting. Can you please further elaborate what you're experiencing? Have you seen any significant behavior? As far as I know, the lower the dBm the better the signal. The signal strength still depends on the point of axis location, environment, and the cellular towers. Based on the comparison you've made, it looks like both signals are getting just the normal decibel-milliwatts based on the factors I mentioned. Let me know.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

2019-05-18, 0:45 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

I experienced total loss of data and cellular signal on ATT where others with different models of phone and the same AT&T service had full service. I checked ATT coverage map and I should have had full 4G LTE signal.

I'm in the heart of silicon valley now with an avg 106dBm which is pretty bad. It's as if the phone itself has pretty bad reception.

I had two updates pushed today. What a coincidence. I just factory reset. I'll see if I can find a decent signal anywhere. Anything over 105dBm gives me horrible ping times and jitter on speedtest.  .01 Mb upload speeds/unusable

If that doesn't work I'll just move on to another phone. I got this one in the November Motorola $99 firesale. Can't afford to spend too much time on a $99 product.

Thanks

Options

8589 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1017 Signins

135057 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2019-05-21, 16:51 PM

Hi,

Thanks for further explaining. This is odd, I noticed your profile changed to anonymous, are you still on this thread? I'd like to further assist you with this, Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Also, what app did you use for speed testing? Have you contacted your carrier about this?

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3 Posts

06-30-2019

US

9 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 5 of 9

2019-07-01, 1:18 AM

I am having the same problem with the Moto z2.   My previous phone was an iPhone 6s which I handed down to one of my family members a couple weeks ago when I moved to the Moto z2 Force.  The signal strength on the other four phones in my household is strong while the signal strength on my Moto z2 Force is very minimal if anything at all.   We are all on the same network plan.  Since I use the phone for my business activities I am more than a bit concerned.

The phone is fully updated and even when starting in Safe Mode the signal the antenna is picking up is very low.

Can the antenna be the issue?

FYI... I have a batter module on the unit.

Options

8589 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1017 Signins

135057 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2019-07-01, 16:02 PM

Hi EddieBrooks,

Thanks for posting here. Can you send me a screenshot of your signal strength? Just go to Settings > System > About Phone > Status > SIM Status > Signal Strength. Also kindly update your profile too so I can check, instruction is on my previous reply. Thanks. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

3 Posts

06-30-2019

US

9 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2019-07-02, 14:20 PM

Rich:  I have included the screenshot you requested.

Hopefully all the information you need is in the image.   I did check my wife's iPhone 5 at the same time, in the same location, with the same Cricket carrier and her phone worked great and had full signal strength.

Thanks

Options

8589 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1017 Signins

135057 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2019-07-02, 18:43 PM

Hi EddieBrooks,

Thanks for the screenshot. Can you please update your forums profile too as requested? Also, please PM me your physical location and it's ZIP code. Thanks. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Options

3 Posts

06-30-2019

US

9 Signins

48 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2019-07-02, 19:35 PM

My profile is updated.  

My location is *removed*

Thanks,

Tim

Edited: for privacy - Rich

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save