01-22-2015

US

56 Signins

680 Page Views

• Views: 680
  • Message 1 of 7

Moto Z2 force forgets compass calibration

2018-02-16, 16:24 PM

While I was installing all my apps on my new Z2, I noticed that the compass (separate app and within Google Maps) was off. No problem - a calibration should fix that. I calibrated with the GPS Status app, and everything worked fine - until a few hours later, when the calibration was completely gone again.

I have repeated this many times over, the calibration may hold for a few hours, or maybe for an extra day, but it will be gone after a period of time. Turning the phone off and then on again does not have any effect. If I had just calibrated before the power cycle, the calbration is still there after the phone has started up again. If the calibration is lost, cycling the power does not restore it.

This looks to me like a software bug somewhere in the system, where calibration data is managed. I cannot tie the loss of calibration to a specific event, like installing software, using a specific app,...

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? Is there a permanent fix? This is not a matter of life or death to me, but it is plain annoying.

BTW, I forgot to mention, the Z2 is running Oreo.

Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

PH

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Moto Z2 force forgets compass calibration

2018-02-16, 19:38 PM

Hi bettenbrock

Would you mind sharing us what you see on your screen so we can get hold of what you are seeing on your device? What compass app did you try installing? How did you calibrate the GPS status app? 

Please update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled under Settings. Let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? Click on this link.

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Options

21 Posts

01-22-2015

US

56 Signins

680 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2018-02-16, 21:44 PM

OK, here is what happens.

The compass app I'm using is "Digital Compass" from Axiomatic Inc. This is actually one of the few apps that recognize the magnetometer sensor. Others, which I have used on other phones, are completey "dead".

When I start the app, as long as the calibration is still good, it points properly towards North and follows any movement of the phone. At that stage (good calibration) Google Maps will also properly indicate the direction.

When calibration is lost, the compass app will still "work" as in pointing somewhere and following the phone movements. The problem is that it is anywhere from around 40° to around 90° off. Google Maps will at that point of time indicate the same directional offset. There is no error message, so both apps believe that the compass information is correct. I just know where North is and notice if the pointer does not point into the right direction.

As far as calibration with GPS Status goes, with the app running, swipe right on the screen. That opens a menu from which I select "compass calibration". That opens a window with a progress bar that changes from red to green as you move the phone along all axis several times (standard procedure for compass calibration). When all data is collected , I confirm with "OK". That brings me back to the main screen with a now properly working compass indication. I can close GPS Status and open my compass app or Google Maps, and all will be working perfectly fine. I can close any of the apps and open them again, and they still work. A few hours (or a day) later, opening any of the apps results in the incorrect compass reading I started out with. 

I'm not in an area subject to unusual magnetic interference and I made sure to run a few tests at exactly the same location. So I can safely rule out external influences.

I don't mind putting the serial number in my profile - as soon as I find it - but there is not much of a point providing the IMEI. I appreciate your offer, but I believe I can rule out interference from any non-stock apps, as I have been trying to fix the compass issue with a factory reset and ran the same tests with the compass before installing anything else (with the same results).

Thanks for looking into this!

Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

PH

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 4 of 7

2018-02-20, 20:08 PM

wrote:

OK, here is what happens.

The compass app I'm using is "Digital Compass" from Axiomatic Inc. This is actually one of the few apps that recognize the magnetometer sensor. Others, which I have used on other phones, are completey "dead".

When I start the app, as long as the calibration is still good, it points properly towards North and follows any movement of the phone. At that stage (good calibration) Google Maps will also properly indicate the direction.

When calibration is lost, the compass app will still "work" as in pointing somewhere and following the phone movements. The problem is that it is anywhere from around 40° to around 90° off. Google Maps will at that point of time indicate the same directional offset. There is no error message, so both apps believe that the compass information is correct. I just know where North is and notice if the pointer does not point into the right direction.

As far as calibration with GPS Status goes, with the app running, swipe right on the screen. That opens a menu from which I select "compass calibration". That opens a window with a progress bar that changes from red to green as you move the phone along all axis several times (standard procedure for compass calibration). When all data is collected , I confirm with "OK". That brings me back to the main screen with a now properly working compass indication. I can close GPS Status and open my compass app or Google Maps, and all will be working perfectly fine. I can close any of the apps and open them again, and they still work. A few hours (or a day) later, opening any of the apps results in the incorrect compass reading I started out with. 

I'm not in an area subject to unusual magnetic interference and I made sure to run a few tests at exactly the same location. So I can safely rule out external influences.

I don't mind putting the serial number in my profile - as soon as I find it - but there is not much of a point providing the IMEI. I appreciate your offer, but I believe I can rule out interference from any non-stock apps, as I have been trying to fix the compass issue with a factory reset and ran the same tests with the compass before installing anything else (with the same results).

Thanks for looking into this!

I understand. Sorry if I've not been a great help. Well, what I can suggest is to have it checked. You can send it in for repair for further assistance. - Ella

Options

21 Posts

01-22-2015

US

56 Signins

680 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2018-03-12, 14:25 PM

Just a brief comment. My last post was marked as the "solution". I don't believe that this is the right way of handling the issue, because the problem still exists. The fact that I can live with it does not mean that it is not there and irritating. Whether this is a software or a hardware issue, I do not know. For anyone who might have the same problem, you may want to decide whether this is a bad enough problem for you to ask for a replacement phone. For me it is not, as exchanging my brand new phone for a refurbished replacement just does not seem to be worth it.

Options

13138 Posts

02-02-2016

US

1405 Signins

8890 Page Views

• Views: 8890
  • Message 6 of 7

2018-03-12, 15:00 PM

wrote:

Just a brief comment. My last post was marked as the "solution". I don't believe that this is the right way of handling the issue, because the problem still exists. The fact that I can live with it does not mean that it is not there and irritating. Whether this is a software or a hardware issue, I do not know. For anyone who might have the same problem, you may want to decide whether this is a bad enough problem for you to ask for a replacement phone. For me it is not, as exchanging my brand new phone for a refurbished replacement just does not seem to be worth it.

I have removed the post as the solution. But I have a Z2 and use it all day with Waze. I don't have any compass issues either. And this is the first one I've seen for this phone. It sounds like a hardware issue and would need repair. If someone has the same issue hopefully they will also post here. Wish I had a quick fix for this but I don't.

Options

9 Posts

12-24-2018

CO

16 Signins

144 Page Views

• Views: 144
  • Message 7 of 7

2018-12-26, 5:37 AM

Same here, I'm using Digital Compass from Axiomatic Inc. too, and also I'm using Sky Map from Sky Map Devs, and in both apps I have to recalibrate the compass few hours later, again and again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete