Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Force
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

03-09-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 12

Rear Camera Hardware Not Working - Error code: 01400001

2020-03-09, 15:26 PM

Hello,

I've had my z2 force for one month shy of two years now. Last night I was trying to use the rear camera on my phone, but when I tapped the Camera app I got a black screen with the yellow focus circle showing. I closed the app, tried to reopen it, and same thing. I restarted my phone and once I did that and tried to use the camera, I received the following error message:

Rear camera unavailable

The rear camera hardware isn't working. Switching to selfie camera. If restarting your phone doesn't fix this problem, you can contact Motorola customer support at https://www.motorola.com/contactus.

Error code: 01400001

Here are the troubleshooting steps I have tried, but to no avail:

• Clearing the cache on the default Camera app
  • Force stopping the default Camera app
  • Restarting the phone
  • Force restarting the phone
  • Attempted to boot the phone in recovery mode, but when selected it, I got the Android logo and it said "No Command" so I couldn't event get into recovery mode (I think that's something Android took away access to beginning with v.9 of the OS).

I'm fearing this is telling me that my rear camera is officially dead, but I hope not because I was hoping to hold on to the phone a little longer. any other thoughts on what I could possibly do to fix this?

Thanks.

Options

13079 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1254 Signins

170695 Page Views

• Views: 170695
  • Message 2 of 12

Re:Rear Camera Hardware Not Working - Error code: 01400001

2020-03-11, 21:30 PM

Hi kh0309,

I appreciate the steps you've taken. Before getting into the recovery mode, I'd like to confirm, have you tried booting the phone in safe mode and test the camera? 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
Just turn off and on the phone to boot back to normal mode.

Aside from clearing cache, it is also suggested to clear the data of the camera (Settings > Apps > Moto Camera > Storage > Clear Storage). Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

2 Posts

03-09-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 12

2020-03-13, 1:49 AM

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response. I have tried the steps you outline, but I am still getting the error. However, what is interesting is that the camera will work with certain apps, such as my mobile banking to make a mobile deposit and my Google Messages app, but everything appears in black and white/grayscale. So I am thinking it is a true hardware issue? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Options

13079 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1254 Signins

170695 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2020-03-16, 13:50 PM

Hi kh0309,

It's possible a hardware failure with the camera. I would recommend doing factory data reset without restoring apps/backup (Settings > System > Reset > Factory Data Reset). Backup your important files first so you won't lose them. See if there's improvement, otherwise, it is recommended to submit the device for repair. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

01-18-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 12

2021-01-18, 21:51 PM

I have had a problem with my rear color camera not focusing for about two years.  It was fine and all of a sudden wont focus.  Its almost like its stuck in macro mode because you can see your fingerprint or anything else super close super clear.  If I turn it to black & white, its fine and works normally like it should.  And many times I would be on a website or something... for example, Marlboro site to add pack reward codes which i click take a photo because its easier than typing it all in...so anyway, when it opens the camera, its in focus and immediately goes blurry...kinda like its being used in the background sort of....and its happened with other similar situations where itll go to open the camera from a website or app or something and right when it pops up its clear and in focus but immediately goes to blurry...its really weird.  Now there have been a small handful of times where it seemed to focus like it should and then ill go to try to use it again and itll be blurry again.  

Ive tried all the clearing cache and uodates and uninstall/reinstall/, safe mode boot, recovery menu cache clear, tried 3rd party apps, tried various setting combinations, you name it I promise I have tried it several times and nothing corrects it.  It very well may be a hardware issue, sure, but if so then it was somehow initially caused from screwy software or OS command issue or something. idk.

I know that it seems to be a problem with these model phones (Z2 Force) and it seemed to start, if I remember correctly, around the time of a system update a good couple years ago.  The selfie camera works fine but it sucks to have to try and use it for all pics you try to take that you want in color.  

Any ideas, anyone??  Not counting complete factory reset...not doing that again and it didnt help when I tried it awhile back. 

Thanks!

Options

13079 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1254 Signins

170695 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2021-01-19, 18:56 PM

Hi Court218

I appreciate all the troubleshooting you've tried. An update shouldn't cause this and the phone will no longer receive any updates. It's possible a hardware failure. I would suggest visiting a service center. You will find an interactive map here that allows you to find a carry-in center convenient to you. We recommend contacting the repair center to ensure they are prepared for your specific issue. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Options

2 Posts

01-18-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2021-01-20, 7:37 AM

I really don't think its a hardware issue. Maybe Im wrong, but I had it looked at awhile back and they told me it didnt appear any damage or issues hardware-wise. Ive seen that this is an issue that many people with this same model device have had and have yet to find a resolution.  Thank you though.

Options

13079 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1254 Signins

170695 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2021-01-21, 19:35 PM

Hi Court218

I understand how you feel. However, it seems that you have tried all possible troubleshooting steps to address potential software causing this issue. At this point, I would recommend having the device serviced. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Options

3 Posts

03-20-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2021-03-20, 4:56 AM

Same issue here, "rear camera not working - error 01400001". Tried all the same things as above (safe mode, delete cache, etc.). INTERESTINGLY, when I go to the "Device Help" app, --> "Device Diagnosis" --> "Hardware Test" --> "Front Camera", it shows perfectly everything in front, as it should. When I test the "Rear Camera", it shows the "selfie" view perfectly. The camera hardware seems to be working just fine. But go to the camera app, error 01400001 yet again. Seems like a software issue, and maybe even just a "Camera" app issue. Oddly, it seems confused regarding which is the "rear" camera. The hardware test has it opposite what the camera app is telling me is the "rear" camera unavailble, then it only displays the rear image, not the front, (one or the other has it backwards). Other camera apps work ok, (deposit checks etc.). Not sure how to proceed???

Options

3 Posts

03-20-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2021-03-20, 5:19 AM
Oh WAIT !!! The "front" camera (facing away) only shows black and white, whereas the "rear" (selfie) cam is in color. I will suppose there is an actual hardware problem, and the camera app has detected the loss of color and refuses to use it(?) My best guess.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms