Options

12 Posts

06-13-2018

US

22 Signins

290 Page Views

• Views: 290
  • Message 1 of 7

Should I buy AT&T Z2 Force for $399 and other questions.

2018-06-15, 19:58 PM

In the US.  Currently have a Moto G4 and can't take it anymore!  Looking for a phone w/ 4/64, at least a snapdragon 630, and a screen at least 5.5".  Would like to have Bluetooth 5.0 and a 3.5m connection (I know Z2 Force doen't have one).  I don't game or watch video, I browse, text, email, and do a lot of calling while driving using Android auto for navigation and Pandora/Google Play.  I assume the Z2  Force will handle that w/out lags or hiccups.

Amazon has Moto X4 for $110 less, but you give up screen size, processing power and storage; the only advantage is the 3.5mm connector.  If Z3 Play pre-sale price is around $400, that might be an option: I give up processing power for a larger screen with 18:9 (which I prefer) and probably one additional Android OS update.  My guess is that pre-sale price will be $450 or $499 with a mod thrown in.

Other questions:

• Does it come w/ an adapter for 3.5mm connection?
  • How is the bluetooth connection? How far can you roam?
  • Will it automatically select Aptx or Aptx HD depending upon what I am connecting to or does it default to Audio Effects or something else all the time?
  • Not sure if new vehicle I'm buying has Aptx or Aptx HD. How does audio sound in vehicles using the Z2 and Android Auto?
  • Do any of the wireless chargers work in an auto that has a "cup" for Qi charging or does the phone/battery pack need to lie flat on a charging disk?
  • Is a battery pack needed? If yes, which one works best?

EDIT:   One new, and somewhat strange question:  Is there a known problem with the AT&T "Black" Z2 Force??  I was just about ready to order when I came across some postings on the XDA forum noting that the black AT&T Z2 Force phones were having issues.  Coincidentally, that is the phone that is marked down an extra $121 dollars on the Moto site.  Gold is marked down by $200 and Black by $321. 

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA

Solved! See the solution
Options

30 Posts

06-27-2010

US

33 Signins

432 Page Views

• Views: 432
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Should I buy AT&T Z2 Force for $399 and other questions.

2018-06-16, 15:28 PM

I am by NO means any kind of expert on the z2Force but I can share my experience on a few of your questions.

My Verizon Z2Force came with an adapter that plugs into the USB-C port so you can plug in headphones. It also worked fine with  the basic Square credit card reader once I enabled the microphone ( not sure why that was needed?).

I use bluetooth with a JBL Charge2 speaker and it works fine. The farthest I've ever tried for distance is about 25 ft - and that is also with the phone inside my house and speaker out on back porch. It also works great in my GMC Acadia connecting via bluetooth to the audio system for hands free phone use ( I also have an onstar system so have the mic built in).

I typically don't stream music in the car due to data limits and don't use Android Auto so I can't help on those questions. I haven't had any problems receiving a call while also using GPS (usually Waze app, but sometimes Google Maps). I did try out music via bluetooth in the car while in my driveway and hooked to my home Wifi and the sound was good (was using Amazon Music App). My car has a Bose speaker system.

The Z2Force doesn't have wireless charging built in - you would have to get a mod that has it. I don't have one. I do have the projector mod that I got as a promotional item when I bought the phone. The few times I've tried it, it worked well.

Although I was getting pretty good battery life, with moderate use, of at least a full day,  I purchased a battery mod direct from Motorola when it was on sale - the one that has the larger battery. It has been great and I can go almost 3 days before recharging unless I go nuts playing candy crush for a long time. I mainly use text, email and Facebook, along with several versions of Candy Crush. I rarely stream music or video unless I'm on WiFi.

I have not yet had any screen defect problems (installed a protector at time of purchase that is still in great shape after 6 months. Had to give up my beloved Otterbox case and go with the bumper case so I could use my battery mod.

I keep tabs on the posts on the forum just so I can see what problems are being discussed, and I've been lucky that I haven't experienced any of the problems that have been discussed.

Best of luck with your decision.

Dawn

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

12 Posts

06-13-2018

US

22 Signins

290 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2018-06-16, 15:35 PM

Thanks....Looks like I'll have to wait...the $399 AT&T black was sold out when I tried to buy this AM.   Hopefully, they get more in stock or they drop price on the Gold version when the new Z3 Play drops.

Options

134 Posts

03-20-2017

US

470 Signins

8384 Page Views

• Views: 8384
  • Message 4 of 7

2018-06-18, 21:08 PM

Buying a phone from Motorola itself I wouldn't think there would be issues and if there are then you can easily replace/refund. I think the reason that there is a discount is they made far too many of them and are trying to reduce inventory.

Options

12 Posts

06-13-2018

US

22 Signins

290 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2018-06-18, 23:06 PM

I came to that conclusion a day too late...No longer in stock on Motorola site.  I can purchase from BestBuy, but I was planning on using the zero interest offer from Affirm.  I may wait and see  what happens when the Z3 Play comes out.  My guess is that they are not going to sell many Z3 Plays at $499, even if they throw in a battery pack.  So, if they have to discount the Z3 Play, they may have to drop the price even lower for the Z2 Force.

Options

1 Posts

10-25-2018

US

1 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 6 of 7

2018-10-25, 21:57 PM

Mine is bad. I have the att variant, and can tell you I still think about going back to my unlocked Droid turbo 2 that's in the closet. At&t does not support wifi calling, even though it works perfectly fine for all other carriers and all unlocked moto phones in this generation. I also have screen peeling issues. I heard this happened to some, and I can't speak to the general population, but my At&t one does have these issues. I've spent about 500 bucks on mods, and I love them all, except for the free projector that came with it. At&t also charged more originally for the phone than any other carriers. No idea why, but I spent 70 more dollars for this phone than any customers of other carrier. I've been a moto fan boy since the first x and even had a razor v3 back in the day, but I quit. At&t killed it for me by not supporting this great phone. Maybe when I have the cash for Verizon. 

Options

134 Posts

03-20-2017

US

470 Signins

8384 Page Views

• Views: 8384
  • Message 7 of 7

2018-10-29, 21:06 PM

AT&T doesn't support Wi-Fi calling on prepaid but the AT&T variant is Wi-Fi capable and works fine on postpaid plans. As far as cost, it is now $299 for the black version on Motorola's website. Any problems with the screen can be handled with via a support ticket with Motorola and AT&T can be skipped altogether.

At the price it is available at, it seems like a great deal. Take the extra savings and buy a screen protector so it won't scratch.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete