Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Force
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

01-23-2019

United States of America

37 Signins

227 Page Views

• Views: 227
  • Message 1 of 12

Slap in the face Moto Z2 Force owners

2019-01-23, 14:23 PM

Going over some headlines today I found that Motorola has released Android  Pie update for the Z3.  Thats quite a shock as an owner of a Z2 force, which I consider an excellent phone. One of the reasons I got was the updates to pure Android as they became available.  So now, even after months that Android Pie has been available there is no sign of the Moto Z2 Force update to Pie, except a statement by Motorola months ago that the Z2 Force would, eventually, get the update.  

This situation is a BIG dissapointment. At this point is getting a bit tiring the position of Motorola, of not giving approximate dates for major OS updates.

Below is the link to Motorola about the Z3 force update to Pie.

https://support.motorola.com/us/en/solution/MS136944

Options

13219 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

1407 Signins

8945 Page Views

• Views: 8945
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: Slap in the face Moto Z2 Force owners

2019-01-23, 15:37 PM

There has been no official release of Pie yet on any Z3. What you found is just a placeholder for when it does get released. If you were to search the support site for upgrades, you will only find a message saying it was going to receive Pie. These placeholder pages get found all the time by people. And as for time lines, Motorola will never give a date or time frame usually. 

Options

26 Posts

01-23-2019

United States of America

37 Signins

227 Page Views

• Message 3 of 12

2019-01-23, 19:57 PM

That place holder quoted by all the different news outlets are listing that the Z3 is getting Pie, clearly shows that the Z3 will get Pie in a few weeks.  That the Z3 gets Android Pie before the Z2 Force is, on my book, a slap on the face the Z2 force customers.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/01/23/motorola-updates-moto-z3-to-android-pie-unlocking-5g-moto-mod-support/

https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_releases_pie_for_moto_g6_and_moto_z3_adds_support_for_5g_mod-news-35199.php

https://www.androidauthority.com/moto-z3-android-pie-945650/

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Motorola-Moto-Z3-Android-Pie-spotted_id112054

Options

13219 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

1407 Signins

8945 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2019-01-23, 21:28 PM

My own devices I use are all getting Pie but none are getting them before the newest model. My LG V30, Samsung S8+, and Z2. So it's not just Motorola. This is the way its been for all 3 of these companies. My oldest one, LG V20 will be getting it at the end of the year. You can do what you want with a phone purchase but if you really want fast updates the Pixel phones are the ones to get...

Options

26 Posts

01-23-2019

United States of America

37 Signins

227 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2019-01-23, 22:49 PM

I dont want to make this into an argument, my Z2 force is my 4th Motorola phone (2 Gs and an X).  Motorola (Lenovo) is slow to bring the new OS to its flagship phones, its just a fact.  More so when Motorola's flavor of Android is very clean with no major customization or bloatware.  I like the phones, they are well made and have usefull features (in my experience)  Mororola loses a competitive adavange by being slow to update.  It's something that customer values

Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2725 Signins

25655 Page Views

• Views: 25655
  • Message 6 of 12

2019-01-23, 22:57 PM

I would agree that Moto has become slower at releasing OS updates over the past year or two . There was a time when they were doing really good at quick updates, but things have changed.  But I don't think they are any slower than other large manufacturers like Samsung, LG, HTC, etc.

Also, while some users do value timely updates many users don't care and don't want their phone to ever change.  It's a tough line for a manufacturer, some customers want quick updates and some customers don't want any at all.  We see it time & time again on here, after a new OS update there are posts by users saying "my phone changed and I don't like it...", etc.  Many people want their phone to stay the way it was when they bought it.  But then many others like new updates and new functionality.  I hate to stear anyone away from Moto, but as was posted earlier...if quick updates & always having the newest OS is a priority when buying a phone, then the Pixel line is the only sure fire way to go.

~Scott
Options

130 Posts

12-18-2014

United States of America

395 Signins

5963 Page Views

• Views: 5963
  • Message 7 of 12

2019-01-24, 13:14 PM

I would agree and usually dont care about major updates. However with 2 major issues data connection and BT issues which some say would be fixed with 8.1 and or Pie and has been an issue for some time. So Yes I would like to see an update ASAP. If it wasnt for the issues I could of not cared one way or another. 

Options

2 Posts

01-25-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 8 of 12

2019-01-25, 8:10 AM

I agree.  While I didn't document links, the Z2 force was supposed to get 8.1 Fall of 2018 and now it isn't getting it at all!  I'm sick of the connection issues.  I bought a premium phone at a premium price for a reason.  

I bought my z2 2 weeks after it was released.  Seeing new, lesser quality phones come out with Android 9 and not having the option to update mine is frustrating.

As for those customers who don't want their device to change?  I think it's far over due that customers be able to roll back their version of Android if they don't like the new version. If Microsoft could do it for Windows 10 back to 7, why can't Android provide that option for customers by now without rooting the device.

As for the Pixel line? Yeah, the newest 3 and 3xl are the first I would consider buying in their line.  The Z2 is a far better phone than the Pixel 2 that came out around the same time.

I agree that it takes too long to get updates, but I truly believe the carrier is the complication in that matter.  Yes, Motorola can do better too. 

Options

26 Posts

01-23-2019

United States of America

37 Signins

227 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2019-01-28, 15:25 PM

So what i take from the replies by Eagle328 and Sajokas, is that I shouldn't have bought the Motoz2 force, I should have bought a Pixel.  Its my fault that I liked Motorola approach to designing phones that are good and innovative.   The Moto Z2 force is light, reliable and has excellent performance.  My opinion still is that Motortola should be more diligent in getting its flagships phones updated, and that also includes dealing with cellular service provider to make that happen.

Options

13219 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

1407 Signins

8945 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2019-01-28, 16:06 PM

wrote:

So what i take from the replies by Eagle328 and Sajokas, is that I shouldn't have bought the Motoz2 force, I should have bought a Pixel.  Its my fault that I liked Motorola approach to designing phones that are good and innovative.   The Moto Z2 force is light, reliable and has excellent performance.  My opinion still is that Motortola should be more diligent in getting its flagships phones updated, and that also includes dealing with cellular service provider to make that happen.

If you want updates and upgrades fast then yes a Pixel is the way to go. I don't really care about the speed of upgrades. And I've been here for 9 years now. Upgrades have always lagged behind except when Google owned Motorola. Now Lenovo does so things are not the same. And cellular providers are a part of the issue but that doesn't seem to ever change. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms