08-11-2017

US

3 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 1 of 64

Software repair assistant on new device

2017-08-11, 4:23 AM

I just received my new Moto Z2 force via UPS this afternoon. I attempted to restore my files using my Google account. It had a new update from Motorola that started to install automatically... When complete it asked me to restart my device so I did. My phone is bricked. It displays the following error message...(attached)

(Summary)

Bootloader logs

Startup failed

Your device didn't start up successfully.

Use the Software Repair Assistant on computer to repair your device.

Connect your device to your computer to get the Software Repair Assistant

AP Factbook Flash Mode (Secure)

Mismatching bootloader components

no Bootable A/B slot

Factbook Reason: Fall-through from normal boot mode.

Brand new phone. Verizon is my carrier. I am fully familiar with wiping cache and performing a factory reset. This Will Not work with the phone in this mode. I've tried...I have used both Verizon Tech support (tier 3) and Moto Tech support tier 2. No solution thus far. 

Is there a link to a website to resolve this issue...specifically the Repair assistant detailed on the screen?

Please don't tell me to wipe my device again, perform a software reset, perform a software upgrade, or clear the cache. I've tried that. Let's go a little deeper shall we?
Options

2 Posts

08-11-2017

US

1 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 2 of 64

Re: Software repair assistant on new device

2017-08-11, 9:24 AM

Apparently, this isn't a rare occurance....mine did the same, except I got there by having the phone battery run down till it shut itself off. Then, I plugged in the charger and after about ten minutes, tried to start the phone. Got the same screen you discribed,

Using the volume up/down buttons, I was able to get slight variances on the screen. Using the up button, those screens are entitled "bootloader logs" in white letters, then "qcom" in red, then "bp tools" in red, then "factory" in red, then "power off" in white, "recovery mode" in red, "restart bootloader" in red, "start" in green, "barcodes" in white,"switch tools mode" in white, and finally back around again to bootloader logs 

Options

1 Posts

08-11-2017

US

1 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 3 of 64

2017-08-11, 11:18 AM

Hello I had the exact same thing happen yesterday.  I am on a two week road trip. I waited for this phone to show up then hit the road. After initial setup I finally accepted the update and boom... The phone is bricked. I am now 6 hours away from home but I'm going to stop in a vzw store and have them swap it out. I'll keep you posted 

Options

100 Posts

11-04-2016

US

153 Signins

1564 Page Views

• Views: 1564
  • Message 4 of 64

2017-08-11, 13:21 PM

i have an Android software update that wont download and/or apply.

maybe I dont want it to after reading this

Options

2035 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2897 Signins

51596 Page Views

• Views: 51596
  • Message 5 of 64

2017-08-11, 14:42 PM

wrote:

i have an Android software update that wont download and/or apply.

maybe I dont want it to after reading this

That updates been stopped. You'll be able to download it when it's resumed.  

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2035 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2897 Signins

51596 Page Views

• Message 6 of 64

2017-08-11, 14:46 PM

wrote:

I just received my new Moto Z2 force via UPS this afternoon. I attempted to restore my files using my Google account. It had a new update from Motorola that started to install automatically... When complete it asked me to restart my device so I did. My phone is bricked. It displays the following error message...(attached)

(Summary)

Bootloader logs

Startup failed

Your device didn't start up successfully.

Use the Software Repair Assistant on computer to repair your device.

Connect your device to your computer to get the Software Repair Assistant

AP Factbook Flash Mode (Secure)

Mismatching bootloader components

no Bootable A/B slot

Factbook Reason: Fall-through from normal boot mode.

Brand new phone. Verizon is my carrier. I am fully familiar with wiping cache and performing a factory reset. This Will Not work with the phone in this mode. I've tried...I have used both Verizon Tech support (tier 3) and Moto Tech support tier 2. No solution thus far. 

Is there a link to a website to resolve this issue...specifically the Repair assistant detailed on the screen?

Yikes, yeah we've had a few reports of this. We've had some users have success with recovering via SUA.

1. Download and then install the "Verizon Software Update Assistant" on your computer from these links.
    1. Windows link:  http://www.motorola.com/verizonsoftwareupdatewin
    2. Mac link:  http://www.motorola.com/verizonsoftwareupdatemac
  1. Reboot the phone into Fastboot/Recovery
    1. Power off your phone
    2. Hold “Volume Down + Power” for at-least 3 seconds and then release the buttons
  2. Connect your phone to that PC via a USB cable.
  3. Open the "Verizon Software Update Assistant" application on your Windows PC (if you haven't already).
  4. Wait a good 10-30 seconds (at least) for the "Verizon Software Update Assistant" to a) check for updates to itself, and then b) discover your attached smartphone.
  5. When available, click on the red "Restore" button within the "SUA App"
  6. Choose whether to erase or keep all your data during this process. By default the app will not erase user data
  7. After that, it seems like it took around 30 minutes to download the image, decompress that Android image, and then install it to the phone.  After that process is done though, the problem should be fixed and the phone should boot up.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

100 Posts

11-04-2016

US

153 Signins

1564 Page Views

• Message 7 of 64

2017-08-11, 16:58 PM

any idea when this will get fixed? I have an ever present notifcation in my Notifications that a software update failed.  Doesn't matter if i swipe it away or try again, it just stays there

Options

2035 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2897 Signins

51596 Page Views

• Message 8 of 64

2017-08-11, 17:00 PM

wrote:

any idea when this will get fixed? I have an ever present notifcation in my Notifications that a software update failed.  Doesn't matter if i swipe it away or try again, it just stays there

Once the software is made available again, you'll be able to download and try to install again. Otherwise, you can use the steps above and repair the phone with SUA and that should fix it as well.

-Tom

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

100 Posts

11-04-2016

US

153 Signins

1564 Page Views

• Message 9 of 64

2017-08-11, 17:01 PM

mine is T-Mobile, isn't that a Verizon tool?

Options

2035 Posts

02-11-2016

US

2897 Signins

51596 Page Views

• Message 10 of 64

2017-08-11, 17:05 PM

wrote:

mine is T-Mobile, isn't that a Verizon tool?

Ahh this is a different story. I assumed you were on VZW as the other user was. My bad for assuming. Can you take a screenshot of the message you have and share it with me? Also, please ensure that your forums profile is updated with the IMEI for your device. I know you can't choose the model as it's not in the list yet, but just update the IMEI/SN field. 

-Tom

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save