10-30-2019

US

7 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 1 of 9

Unlock Z2Force

2019-10-30, 9:55 AM

I bought my new Z2Force directly from Motorola almost a year ago and have been unable to use it.  It was NOT bought as a discount unit tied to an AT&T plan, but it was shown as an AT&T linked phone.  I thought that because it was not a discount phone with a plan that it would be unlocked, and there was something that said when i bought it that it could be used world-wide.

I've been in China Since January but when i tried to load the SIM card in it will not work.  I have already confirmed the system type is CORRECT.  The issue is the IMEI SIM unlock code. 

My son briefly used the phone in the US in May or June on a NON-AT&T network (but compatible - a pay ahead plan) it WORKED fine and the motorola store in the US told him shouldn't be a problem to use in China - he/they thought it was unlocked. 

But when i loaded a SIM card here (from my old Moto Z) the new phone would not work.  I even went to a Motorola official repair shop and they said they couldn't do anything without the unlock code.

6 months back i sent an email to a motorola site (cannot find out where) requesting the unlock code.  They refused saying it we had not used it for 2 or more months.

I have a useless paperweight and my old MotoZ is getting increasingly unreliable (3 hr battery life, etc).

How do i get it unlocked?  

Where is the link to the place to request an unlock code, and how do i get to a supervisor if the system automatically rejects it like last time?

I've NEVER had it on an AT&T plan and it was not bought with a plan - so there is no "go back to the original plan you had on the phone" option.

Appreciate the help sorting this out.

If there is some cheap payahead plan for AT&T that satisfies the requirement i'd be happy to pay it if they can issue the unlock code.  An AT&T plan is worthless to me here - i need to have a local phone number for people to reach me.

Options

8729 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1026 Signins

136102 Page Views

• Views: 136102
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: Unlock Z2Force

2019-11-05, 22:33 PM

Hi Scott5780,

Thanks for posting. Are you still in China until now? If the phone is locked with AT&T and you're using it in China, it may now not get a service. Our phones should work in countries where you may be traveling, though we cannot guarantee all features are supported. Please check with your mobile service provider to see if your SIM will operate. Please note that we never recommend buying a phone in one region for ongoing use in another as Motorola phones are only in warranty in the country/region in which they are intended for sale.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

10-30-2019

US

7 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2019-11-11, 12:49 PM

I am in China now.  I'm an American and go back and forth.  The phone was NOT bought with requirement for an AT&T plan - you can look it up. 

I want to know how to get it unlocked.  That is my question.  It is really frustrating - i bought it almost a year ago and it is a useless paperweight right now.  My old Moto Z (2nd battery in 2 years) is hardly lasting 3 hours at a time right now, so I would really like to get the new one unlocked.  I paid for it.  I cannot use it.  

I have one question - what are the steps to get it unlocked?  Surely someone at Motorola can help.  If i had'nt already made such an investment in Moto Mods I would probably just go with another brand.

hope you can help restore some faith in Motorola...

Options

8729 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1026 Signins

136102 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2019-11-15, 19:33 PM

Hi Scott5780,

Thanks for your reply. I understand your point. You need a subsidy unlock code from AT&T to use it with different carriers. But even once you have unlocked the phone, it would still go the initial statement I mentioned. Can you please update your profile with the current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me check. Please make sure that the options under Settings > System > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your check-in data so I can see if the phone is locked with a carrier.

See here for the instruction. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

10-30-2019

US

7 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2019-11-22, 14:21 PM

Thanks Rich,

I just updated the personal info as you requested including the IMEI.  

Please look at the phone and tell me how to get it unlocked to use on China Mobile while i'm here in China.  

Reminder of facts:

1. I bought this phone directly from Motorola without any plan or requirement to buy an ATT plan.

2. My son used the phone briefly for a week or two in June on some pre-paid carrier and did NOT have to buy an ATT plan.

3. I have never (in last 10 years) had an ATT account and did not plan to get one.

4. There was NOTHING on the website stating that i was required to purchase an ATT plan when i bought the phone.   

Please give me step by step instructions, assume i know nothing.  

I look forward to your solution so this phone becomes useful!

Thanks

Scott

Options

5 Posts

10-30-2019

US

7 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2019-12-02, 13:36 PM
Rich,
Please look at the response i sent 22 Nov and help me to get my phone unlocked. Thanks!
Options

8729 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1026 Signins

136102 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2019-12-03, 17:07 PM

Hi Scott5780,

Just to make it clear, Motorola doesn't provide an unlock code, it's the carrier from which the phone is currently locked with should provide the unlock code. When I checked this, the carrier of the phone is still with AT&T. You will need to get in touch with AT&T to get it unlocked. And even you have it unlocked, still no guarantee it will work in China and/or any other region. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

5 Posts

10-30-2019

US

7 Signins

61 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2019-12-09, 9:32 AM

Thanks Rich,

ATT is a bit of a large company - Can you provide a contact at ATT that can help me with the unlock code?

Options

8729 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1026 Signins

136102 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2019-12-10, 16:30 PM

Hi Scott5780,

I saw this thread on AT&T, this should help you check on how to unlock the device. See the device unlock portal link. There you will see other ways on how to reach out to them. Thanks

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save