Options

52 Posts

10-09-2016

US

87 Signins

440 Page Views

• Views: 440
  • Message 1 of 16

Why did Moto significantly drop the battery life on this model?

2017-08-07, 12:38 PM

Going from 3500 mAh to 2750 is a significant drop in battery life. If I were to hazard a guess, I would image it would be to increase the sales of the Battery Mods. 

Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5838 Signins

132750 Page Views

• Views: 132750
  • Message 2 of 16

Re: Why did Moto significantly drop the battery life on this model?

2017-08-07, 13:58 PM

wrote:

Going from 3500 mAh to 2750 is a significant drop in battery life. If I were to hazard a guess, I would image it would be to increase the sales of the Battery Mods. 

As all we can do is guess, I don't think that was the reason. 

I think the Moto Z fells better in the hand then the Force, and I never saw the Z Force battery life as that much better then my Z - even though it should be. So they probably took the feedback that the Z Force even with a style mod feels to big, and with a battery mod was way to big, and opted for a better middle ground.

You could give me a 5000 mah battery and i would still have range anxiety. And I would own a battery mod anyway, so why not make the total package fit better in the hand. 

Probably cost issues too. Maybe to sell mods, but I don't really agree that it was a main driver. If that were the case, then they would have made the battery even smaller. 

But all we can do is speculate. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

52 Posts

10-09-2016

US

87 Signins

440 Page Views

• Views: 440
  • Message 3 of 16

2017-08-07, 19:30 PM

Good feedback. I still strongly disagree with Moto, as Battery life was actually the main driving force for me to purchase a Moto Z Play. I was looking forward to the new Z2, but the drop in battery life seems like a huge disappointment, as almost *every* review of this phone calls this out as a huge negative. 

True, we can speculate as to why. Let's hope the Moto Z3 learns from this mistake. As it stands, I'd love to give my $$ to Moto, but definitely not this year. 

Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5838 Signins

132750 Page Views

• Views: 132750
  • Message 4 of 16

2017-08-07, 19:32 PM

wrote:

Good feedback. I still strongly disagree with Moto, as Battery life was actually the main driving force for me to purchase a Moto Z Play. I was looking forward to the new Z2, but the drop in battery life seems like a huge disappointment, as almost *every* review of this phone calls this out as a huge negative. 

True, we can speculate as to why. Let's hope the Moto Z3 learns from this mistake. As it stands, I'd love to give my $$ to Moto, but definitely not this year. 

Although they call it out, most reviewers show making it through an entire day with plenty to spare. Since i am coming from a GSM Z, it is a battery boost for me. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

240 Posts

12-18-2013

US

187 Signins

1866 Page Views

• Views: 1866
  • Message 5 of 16

2017-08-11, 22:12 PM

I think the big thing was switching to the Snapdragon 835 processor. It uses signifigantly less battery life. I'll still be getting a battery mod but so far I am making it through a full day... much to my surprise.

Options

56 Posts

12-11-2014

US

133 Signins

1333 Page Views

• Views: 1333
  • Message 6 of 16

2017-08-11, 23:42 PM
Give it a few weeks and I would speculate you'll be singing a different tune. As I said in another thread, this is the first Moto flagship I'm probably going to skip. Made no sense to cut the battery just to save a mm of thickness. I have the mods as well but to rely on those for every day use is foolish. It is encouraging to see people talk that they are getting battery though. Thanks for the update.

2017-08-12, 0:01 AM

After reading all the "negatives" about the battery, I think it's held up rather well on the first full day use. I have his set to high accuracy, 1 exchange push email, Gmail set to push, WiFi and Bluetooth always on, brightness around 50% with adaptive turned on, and I got the following results so far today: 

That is already better than what my 20 month old 3760 mAh Turbo 2 was getting with the exact same settings... I just think most reviewers went into it with a bad taste in their about the price which, given the price of the z2 play, I can somewhat understand. For me, my only two choices for a phone are ones with Google branding or Motorola as I dislike the UI of the other major 3 manufacturers. All of those reviews made me think long and hard (2nd guessing myself), but all of their negatives boiled down to " bezels, cost, headphone jack, or camera not being spectacular. The camera is better then my turbo 2 which, at launch, costed ~$125 less(with no included accessories) than the z2 force cost... Which no one wrote as a con/negative for that phone. Bezel size, for me, is a pointless argument to give people something to complain about. This phone has the right amount of side bezels, and the top/bottom aren't obnoxious. Overall, after actually holding the this phone and using it all day, all the negative reviews make me feel that much better about not holding out to see what the pixel 2 or essiential phone had to offer.

All of the Moto actions are greatly improved since the turbo 2 (with the exception of the "keep the screen dark" missing metioned in another thread). I loved my turbo 2, and so far, am not disappointed with the z2 force.

2017-08-12, 0:30 AM

Well I had a nice long post regarding the battery (all good things), hit post, saw it in the thread after the page loaded, came back, and it wasn't there... So here's a shorter one minus the rant about slanted reviews ?. I am coming from a 20 month old Turbo 2 with a 3760 mAh battery, and this phone has already out done what I was getting on the turbo 2 for the past 6+ months. I have everything synching all the time social media as well), 2 push email accounts, high accuracy GPS, brightness ~50% with adaptive on (just as bright as the turbo 2 at 75%), Bluetooth and WiFi on 24/7, etc. Pretty much using it like I want without caring about the load on the battery. Here's where I'm at so far:  

A win in my book... And it doesn't feel as bad holding it as the reviews made it seem (I'm 5'10" with average sized hands). And I was not able to scratch the display with my fingernail, but I did put the VZW tempered glass screen protector on. It looks good... Can hardly tell it's on there and feels the same as it did without the screen protector on it - minus fingerprints now. All the Moto app features are MUCH improved over the turbo 2... Camera is also better than the turbo 2. The only other phones I even considered waiting for were the pixel 2 and essiential phone. I loved my turbo 2 from day 1 and, so far, I feel the same way about this phone. And the turbo 2 (64gb) was the SAME EXACT $720 as the z2 force at launch (didn't hear any negatives/cons about price in those reviews). I could keep going on about bezels, headphone jack, etc. but people always need to find something to complain about.

Options

145 Posts

11-14-2016

US

251 Signins

3652 Page Views

• Views: 3652
  • Message 9 of 16

2017-08-12, 14:53 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Although they call it out, most reviewers show making it through an entire day with plenty to spare. Since i am coming from a GSM Z, it is a battery boost for me. 

Will you be purchasing one?

Options

145 Posts

11-14-2016

US

251 Signins

3652 Page Views

• Views: 3652
  • Message 10 of 16

2017-08-12, 15:01 PM

wrote:

Well I had a nice long post regarding the battery (all good things), hit post, saw it in the thread after the page loaded, came back, and it wasn't there... So here's a shorter one minus the rant about slanted reviews ?. I am coming from a 20 month old Turbo 2 with a 3760 mAh battery, and this phone has already out done what I was getting on the turbo 2 for the past 6+ months. I have everything synching all the time social media as well), 2 push email accounts, high accuracy GPS, brightness ~50% with adaptive on (just as bright as the turbo 2 at 75%), Bluetooth and WiFi on 24/7, etc. Pretty much using it like I want without caring about the load on the battery. Here's where I'm at so far:  

A win in my book... And it doesn't feel as bad holding it as the reviews made it seem (I'm 5'10" with average sized hands). And I was not able to scratch the display with my fingernail, but I did put the VZW tempered glass screen protector on. It looks good... Can hardly tell it's on there and feels the same as it did without the screen protector on it - minus fingerprints now. All the Moto app features are MUCH improved over the turbo 2... Camera is also better than the turbo 2. The only other phones I even considered waiting for were the pixel 2 and essiential phone. I loved my turbo 2 from day 1 and, so far, I feel the same way about this phone. And the turbo 2 (64gb) was the SAME EXACT $720 as the z2 force at launch (didn't hear any negatives/cons about price in those reviews). I could keep going on about bezels, headphone jack, etc. but people always need to find something to complain about.

Glad someone likes this phone. Makes me feel more comfortable if I ever decide to upgrade to this. The reason why I don't think you heard about price was because at the time the droid turbo 2 came out there wasn't anything it was lacking that the competition had. There are a lot of things that reviewers have picked out that the phone is lacking so to them the 720 price tag doesn't feel justified. To me tho I'd rather buy this phone over an s8 the screen may look better but on Youtube those side bars would get annoying. Still wish they went with a bigger battery tho but oh well. Hopefully the pixel 2 doesn't incorportate the new aspect ratio. Its not ready yet. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save