10-09-2017

US

40 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 1 of 173

WiFi Issues Z2 Force (Verizion)

2017-10-09, 12:53 PM

I believe this issue is related to the 5ghz networks... But, I'm not 100 on that. I've done some Google-ing and have seen some related issues. But, no solutions. 

I had to replace my Z Force last week and got the Z2 Force. Never had any issues with the previous phone and I don't have any issues with any other devices on my home network connecting and staying connected to WiFi. 

Here's my issue: I have a Xyzel home router and attached to that is a Google WiFi 3 point system. My router's network, we'll call it access point A, is set to 2.4ghz. Google WiFi, access point B, says it will determine which band is better but I've only seen it on the 5ghz band.

My phone will not stay connected to the main network (access point B). It'll connect, you can do some browsing, put the phone down then come back to it and no data can be received. If I hop off of B and go back to A, no problems at all. But, that's not a solution. My home controls are all on B and switching them back to A would defeat the purpose of having the Google WiFi system. Oh, and Google won't let you pick bands. That would be a good work around until a fix is found.

There is no reason this should be happening, other than a bug in the phone's software. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is really frustrating! 

Thanks,

KS

Options

6 Posts

03-08-2015

US

39 Signins

438 Page Views

• Views: 438
  • Message 2 of 173

Re: WiFi Issues Z2 Force (Verizion)

2017-10-09, 18:24 PM

Gosh, I've been having the same issue. On multiple wifi router, not just my home, connection will drop and reconnect every 30 seconds - 1 minute or so. My Turbo 2 right next to this phone has never had a hiccup. My Wife has the Z force original, never 1 disconnect, nor any other devices. I did tons of settings checking on the phone and router. Many factory reset. Got a replacement device - same issue, factory reset etc. Still have the issue. Got a new sim card, but issue continues! Please help! I know how to get log files when the issue is happening (I'm a computer programmer) but I'm not sure what all the data in them means? 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

(FYI I'm on Verizon)

Thanks!

-SMazan

Options

16 Posts

10-09-2017

US

27 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 3 of 173

2017-10-09, 20:14 PM

I think I am having the same problem with my brand new Z2 Force and Google wifi. At last count I have 12 devices successfully connected to the wifi points. My Z2 will connect and work properly with my Main point (the one connected directly to the router). But it will not work correctly when connected to the Mesh Points. In my case, the phone will show to be connected to the Mesh point (solid meter, no indication of limited internet). But when I try to browse, it will sit and do nothing until it times out. Then I will get a message of unable to connect. Usually at this point the wifi will disconnect, try to reconnect, be unable to obtain an ip address and then quit. If I restart the phone, it will often connect back up, with the same eventual result. Meanwhile, if I unplug the mess point, or move closer to the Main point, the phone will connect and I can browse normally.  Again, the only device out of 12 that i have this issue with.

Options

30 Posts

10-09-2017

US

40 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 4 of 173

2017-10-09, 20:20 PM

wrote:

I think I am having the same problem with my brand new Z2 Force and Google wifi. At last count I have 12 devices successfully connected to the wifi points. My Z2 will connect and work properly with my Main point (the one connected directly to the router). But it will not work correctly when connected to the Mesh Points. In my case, the phone will show to be connected to the Mesh point (solid meter, no indication of limited internet). But when I try to browse, it will sit and do nothing until it times out. Then I will get a message of unable to connect. Usually at this point the wifi will disconnect, try to reconnect, be unable to obtain an ip address and then quit. If I restart the phone, it will often connect back up, with the same eventual result. Meanwhile, if I unplug the mess point, or move closer to the Main point, the phone will connect and I can browse normally.  Again, the only device out of 12 that i have this issue with.

Thanks for going in to more detail. That is exactly the same issue I'm having. C'mon Lenovo... let's get a fix for this ASAP!

Options

839 Posts

02-20-2009

US

1015 Signins

6126 Page Views

• Views: 6126
  • Message 5 of 173

2017-10-09, 21:05 PM

With the 3 point mesh network, make sure you have disabled any radios on the original router are connecting to...just the google mesh points should be your broadcasting access points. The original router should merely be a router, not a combination access point AND router...is that the configuration?

Even better...the mesh devices should be plugged in directly to your ISP's approved modem with an ethernet connection that provides your ISP's native direct ip address and DNS entries with no interposing router whatsoever. Can you do this?

When a device connects to one of the "fringe" mesh devices, what is it's DNS address? Does it match what your ISP says is its DNS address?

Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

PH

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 6 of 173

2017-10-09, 21:53 PM

wrote:

I believe this issue is related to the 5ghz networks... But, I'm not 100 on that. I've done some Google-ing and have seen some related issues. But, no solutions. 

I had to replace my Z Force last week and got the Z2 Force. Never had any issues with the previous phone and I don't have any issues with any other devices on my home network connecting and staying connected to WiFi. 

Here's my issue: I have a Xyzel home router and attached to that is a Google WiFi 3 point system. My router's network, we'll call it access point A, is set to 2.4ghz. Google WiFi, access point B, says it will determine which band is better but I've only seen it on the 5ghz band.

My phone will not stay connected to the main network (access point B). It'll connect, you can do some browsing, put the phone down then come back to it and no data can be received. If I hop off of B and go back to A, no problems at all. But, that's not a solution. My home controls are all on B and switching them back to A would defeat the purpose of having the Google WiFi system. Oh, and Google won't let you pick bands. That would be a good work around until a fix is found.

There is no reason this should be happening, other than a bug in the phone's software. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is really frustrating! 

Thanks,

KS

Hi kstrehle

Can you send us via PM the Make Model/Security/Band/Channels used on the routers? I'd also like to get a Bugreport over to our Engineers as well as the screenshots from WiFi Analyzer showing the 5GHZ channels.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
  2. After the above steps, Developer options will be enabled.
  3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable Usb debugging > Toggle On
  4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
  5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging > Toggle On
  6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
  7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
  8. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the Bug Report on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
  9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

(Note for us: You need to make sure after they create the report that they turn off developer options and stuff otherwise it can cause issues on the phone with the additional logged being enabled in the background.)

Would you also please update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

Please check the link and update your profile here

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Options

6 Posts

03-08-2015

US

39 Signins

438 Page Views

• Views: 438
  • Message 7 of 173

2017-10-09, 23:04 PM

Some more details... So I only have 1 router, connected to modem. The router is Linksys WRT1900AC. From the exact same location all other devices connect great and have never seen any of them drop connection. My Z2 force usually has an excellent connection too. It just does as other have said... You will just be browsing, then the page will just stall, then fail and I get notification "Wi-Fi disconnected" - then it always immediately reconnects successfully. I have the 2.4Ghz and 5 GHz on 2 different ssids, but I have the same issue on both. As stated previously I have done network resets, factory resets, got a replacement device, new SIM, nothing has worked. If anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate it! Ordered this device the day it was announced, but without Wi-Fi it's just about worthless...

Options

6 Posts

10-11-2017

US

10 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 8 of 173

2017-10-11, 1:20 AM

I have the exact same issue with a brand new moto Z2 force.  My home network is Google WiFi. I enabled developer mode and created a report during the issue. I have 20 other devices on the network without any issue and replaced a moto Z force that had no network issues.  The bug report is here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5wH5vC-_uRWNjRUOEdfbzUzbnM/view?usp=drivesdk

I'm worried that replacing the z2 force will not fix the problem based on the feedback on the forum. 

Options

16 Posts

10-09-2017

US

27 Signins

196 Page Views

• Message 9 of 173

2017-10-11, 3:21 AM

Here is my bug report. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1DLWdM1VwabTDJ5czhpY3R1ZzQ 

Options

16 Posts

10-09-2017

US

27 Signins

196 Page Views

• Message 10 of 173

2017-10-11, 3:28 AM
More details. I was connected to my main point and was browsing normally. I moved to the far side of my home to make my phone switch to a mesh point. As soon as it did, the phone stopped browsing, even though it appeared to be connected. Wifi connectivity would bounce up and down, but no browsing could be done. time was 10:20 pm central. I had to move back to the main point to upload and share.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete