02-20-2009

US

1010 Signins

6091 Page Views

• Views: 6091
  • Message 11 of 173

Re: WiFi Issues Z2 Force (Verizion)

2017-10-11, 12:26 PM

For your single router configuration, I would suggest the following...

1. Make sure the firmware for the WRT100ACis at its most current release level.

2. Set the SSID for both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands to be the same. That way, the phone and other devices will keep being handed the same IP address as it switches from the longer range 2.4Ghz network to the shorter range 5Ghz network as you walk around the house.

3. Check to see that your wifi security for both SSID's is JUST WPA2 personal, NOT something like WPA/WPA2....or some other permutation that has two forms of WPA. You just want WPA2. Some routers support both for older devices as a setting, and this can cause some of the behavior you mentioned as the phone switches back and forth between 2.4 and 5Ghz networks, and reauthenticates. If you have older devices that can't support WPA2, I'd consider getting rid of them as they are old, out of support, and a possible security risk. If you MUST have them, see if they will support a wired connection with a modern media extender that would communicate with current security protocols.

4. Dumb down the advanced router settings as much as possible. That means if there are settings like jumbo frames=disable, IGMP snooping=disable, TX bursting=disable, etc...but leave WMM intact as enabled if present. Don't think tweaking advanced settings will gain you some noticible advantage...almost always it just introduces instability.

5. Set channel bandwidth for the 2.4Ghz network to 20Mhz. For your 5Ghz network, if there is an auto setting for channel bandwidth, leave it at that.

6. Unless you have old devices you must support that can't do 802.11n, set the 2.4Ghz  SSID to support 802.11n only. Leave the 5Ghz network on auto. If you have older 802.11g only devices, strongly consider replacing them or using wifi media extenders as mentioned in point 3 as possible security issue devices regardless....those things are OLD.

Probably step 3 is the most important thing to check above.

Options

30 Posts

10-09-2017

US

40 Signins

192 Page Views

• Views: 192
  • Message 12 of 173

2017-10-11, 14:02 PM

wrote:

wrote:

I believe this issue is related to the 5ghz networks... But, I'm not 100 on that. I've done some Google-ing and have seen some related issues. But, no solutions. 

I had to replace my Z Force last week and got the Z2 Force. Never had any issues with the previous phone and I don't have any issues with any other devices on my home network connecting and staying connected to WiFi. 

Here's my issue: I have a Xyzel home router and attached to that is a Google WiFi 3 point system. My router's network, we'll call it access point A, is set to 2.4ghz. Google WiFi, access point B, says it will determine which band is better but I've only seen it on the 5ghz band.

My phone will not stay connected to the main network (access point B). It'll connect, you can do some browsing, put the phone down then come back to it and no data can be received. If I hop off of B and go back to A, no problems at all. But, that's not a solution. My home controls are all on B and switching them back to A would defeat the purpose of having the Google WiFi system. Oh, and Google won't let you pick bands. That would be a good work around until a fix is found.

There is no reason this should be happening, other than a bug in the phone's software. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is really frustrating! 

Thanks,

KS

Hi kstrehle

Can you send us via PM the Make Model/Security/Band/Channels used on the routers? I'd also like to get a Bugreport over to our Engineers as well as the screenshots from WiFi Analyzer showing the 5GHZ channels.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
  2. After the above steps, Developer options will be enabled.
  3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable Usb debugging > Toggle On
  4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
  5. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Wi-Fi Verbose Logging > Toggle On
  6. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
  7. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
  8. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the Bug Report on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
  9. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

(Note for us: You need to make sure after they create the report that they turn off developer options and stuff otherwise it can cause issues on the phone with the additional logged being enabled in the background.)

Would you also please update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

Please check the link and update your profile here

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Thank you. I will try this later today and let you know. 

Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

PH

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 13 of 173

2017-10-11, 15:04 PM

Hi All, 

Thanks for the bug report. Can you also send us the Make/Model, Security/Band/Channels used on the routers. and screenshots from WiFi Analyzer showing the 5GHZ channels. I'll send these information to our Engineers for further testing and we'll send you an update once available. 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Options

186 Posts

07-26-2010

US

91 Signins

1664 Page Views

• Views: 1664
  • Message 14 of 173

2017-10-11, 15:23 PM
Spot-on description of the problem I'm having, both at home (Google wifi with an Asus Onhub, no mesh) and at the office.

BTW, it seems like even the 4G is a little flaky. Has anyone else noticed this?

Hoping this won't eat up my data plan with all the non-wifi time in my own home or office..

Fix please!
Options

16 Posts

10-09-2017

US

27 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 15 of 173

2017-10-11, 15:52 PM

You guys that are smarter than me need to help me out. I can't find any way to view or change these settings for my Google Wifi mesh network though my android app.

Options

16 Posts

10-09-2017

US

27 Signins

196 Page Views

• Message 16 of 173

2017-10-11, 23:01 PM

First, I can't connect all of the mesh points directly to the AT&T modem.  Second, I don't see a way to identify the DNS address on the points. The main point does show the WAN IP and LAN IP addresses.

Options

833 Posts

02-20-2009

US

1010 Signins

6091 Page Views

• Views: 6091
  • Message 17 of 173

2017-10-12, 1:48 AM

It's a mesh network...you don't plug ALL the elements into your AT&T modem, you plug in one (any one) to your AT&T modem, and set up the units with the Google wifi app. Cut out any other router.

Options

6 Posts

10-11-2017

US

10 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 18 of 173

2017-10-12, 3:35 AM

I created a folder to hold my bug reports and screen shots requested.  Here you go!  If something else is needed let me know.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5wH5vC-_uRWUGQzeVJXM0ZDLWs

Options

6 Posts

10-11-2017

US

10 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 19 of 173

2017-10-12, 3:39 AM

wrote:

Hi All, 

Thanks for the bug report. Can you also send us the Make/Model, Security/Band/Channels used on the routers. and screenshots from WiFi Analyzer showing the 5GHZ channels. I'll send these information to our Engineers for further testing and we'll send you an update once available. 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

All of my bug reports and screen shots are here. Let me know if you need more. 

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5wH5vC-_uRWUGQzeVJXM0ZDLWs

Options

16 Posts

10-09-2017

US

27 Signins

196 Page Views

• Message 20 of 173

2017-10-12, 12:14 PM

I understand. I was responding to this statement, "Even better...the mesh devices should be plugged in directly to your ISP's approved modem with an ethernet connection that provides your ISP's native direct ip address and DNS entries with no interposing router whatsoever. Can you do this?"

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete