06-27-2019

US

6 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1 of 5

You're losing a customer

2019-06-27, 15:41 PM

I've owned a Moto Z2 Force for two years now, I own 3 moto mods and have been very satisfied with my experience up til now. 

I am a T-Mobile customer and am VERY happy with my experience with TMo. After hearing the news that Motorolla will not be updating my phone because of my carrier, I will never purchase a Motorolla or Lenovo product again. Cell phones are substantial purchases that customers expect to be serviced and updated over their life-expectancy. You are artificially shortening that life-expectancy in order to promote more sales it would appear. I for one will NOT help you expand those sales. Companies that forget that their lifes-blood is the consumer are doomed to fade away, especially those in a competetive marketplace such as tech.

Options

28302 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5838 Signins

132750 Page Views

• Views: 132750
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: You're losing a customer

2019-06-27, 16:55 PM

wrote:

I've owned a Moto Z2 Force for two years now, I own 3 moto mods and have been very satisfied with my experience up til now. 

I am a T-Mobile customer and am VERY happy with my experience with TMo. After hearing the news that Motorolla will not be updating my phone because of my carrier, I will never purchase a Motorolla or Lenovo product again. Cell phones are substantial purchases that customers expect to be serviced and updated over their life-expectancy. You are artificially shortening that life-expectancy in order to promote more sales it would appear. I for one will NOT help you expand those sales. Companies that forget that their lifes-blood is the consumer are doomed to fade away, especially those in a competetive marketplace such as tech.

I too am dissapointed by this as I have a Z2F, but Don't forget the carrier has a hand in updates when it comes to carrier branded phones.

If you have a true unlocked phone, then the manufacturer decides if it gets updates or not, as that update covers all the phones in the region - carriers still test compatibility, but they don't decide if the development work happens or not. 

In the case of the Z2F - there are carrier variants in the USA, so those carriers also decide if they want to expend the effort in testing and supporting an OS update. 

I have no knowledge of what transpired, as I am a volunteer, but when I see some carrier variants get updated and others do not, my experience tells me it is the carrier deciding not to spend money. There have been expose articles online covering how updates occur, with some good behind the scenes info, and one thing that stood out, with carrier branded phones, the carriers decide. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

38 Posts

08-11-2018

US

147 Signins

1128 Page Views

• Views: 1128
  • Message 3 of 5

2019-06-27, 18:13 PM

So based on your response is I should be directing this towards T-Mobile to resolve and not Motorola correct?

Options

66 Posts

09-18-2018

NL

415 Signins

2608 Page Views

• Views: 2608
  • Message 4 of 5

2019-06-29, 23:57 PM

Although I think the explanation is a load of BS. Why doesn't Moto release an unbranded version for the device? The update was promised and that promised is now being broken. And if I have to believe you Moto is now taking the fall for providers who don't want to pay for the development of an update. I find that very hard to believe, why don't they let the providers do that. Also considering moto's track record in recent years, trying to get out of the Oreo update for the G4 the insane amount of time it took to release it even for the g5s series it was ridiculous, releasing phones that will not receive a single version update. The lack of any sense of urgency in releasing security patches, doing the absolute minimum recuired for the Enterprise recommended program and sometimes al little less. 

So no I'm not buying the excuse that the providers are to blame, but maybe Moto tried to squeeze some extra money out the providers and they didn't take the bait and now Moto is crying like a spoilt little kid that didn't get huis piece of candy.

Options

2 Posts

07-03-2019

US

3 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 5 of 5

2019-07-03, 18:52 PM
I feel the same. Custom ROMs are not an option especially with spotty at best Moto Mod support. I expected more from Motorola.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save