US

7 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 12 of 38

Re: Z2 force randomly turning off.

2018-10-16, 18:37 PM
Rich

I have uninstalled the Disney app. Now, my phone barely makes it through startup. It has a difficult time loading the home screen and wallpaper. The phone just reset for the 7th or 8th time since doing so, and it has changed the date and time back to 0300 Sep 5th.
Options

4 Posts

10-15-2018

US

7 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 13 of 38

2018-10-16, 21:26 PM

This is probably annoying, but I have another discovery. I restarted my phone in Safe Mode. The device remained on for approximately two hours without the sudden power down. Once I chose to restart the phone to come out of Safe Mode, it instantly "shut down". It would not turn on and informed me that I had 0% battery. In fact, I have 41% battery left when I did this. I plugged in my charging cable, I displays a lightning bolt with a circle around it for approximately 10 seconds, then gives me the charging screen. I then disconnect the cable and power on the device. It powered up, and ran for approximately 60 seconds, then shut down.  The only way I can turn the device back on, is to connect the power cable to it.  If I don't, then I get a yellow trianle with an exclamation point in it, a 0% under that, encompassed in a circle.  Any time I turn the device back on, I get the Android is Starting loading bar.  Kind of like when you first buy the phone and turn it on for the first time.  If I try to operate the camera, it shuts down immediately.  This happens on Mobile date and WiFi.  Anything else I can try?

Bamaumau

Options

9149 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1046 Signins

139972 Page Views

• Views: 139972
  • Message 14 of 38

2018-10-17, 16:38 PM

Hi Bamaumau,

Thanks for trying. It looks like it's most likely caused by a third-party apps. I would suggest doing a complete factory data reset without installing or reinstalling any of your third-party apps or files. (Factory Data Reset: Settings > System > Reset > Factory Data Reset). If you have important files please back them up so won't lose them. We need to observe the phone without any apps installed and see if there's improvement. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

1 Posts

01-01-2019

US

3 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 15 of 38

2019-01-01, 1:59 AM

Same here phone after oreo update(coincidental?)dies over and over especially when using camera.says 0%untill i plug in for 30 seconds then says 60% or so.Has there been an update or current way to fix?tried restarting,battery mod,clearing cache,battery test at sprint service center and safe mode.....still nothing.....help please

Options

4 Posts

02-03-2018

US

3 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 16 of 38

2019-01-01, 2:29 AM

This has happened to me before... Did all the suggested steps. Did not work.. finally the phone stopped powering on at all!! Sent back got a new one and I'm now having the same problem! May have to switch brands.. love my Motorola!!! But this is annoying for a phone that I paid alot for!!! Back up your stuff quickly before the phone stops powering back on and u loose everything!! 

Options

1 Posts

01-05-2019

US

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 17 of 38

2019-01-05, 15:16 PM

Same issue with my phone. 

about 6/8 months old. 

initially it was a sudden shut off, din't think much of it, until it started happenning more often and at different tasks. 

thought it was an app, (don't have many apps installed) 

forums said about clearing cache, followed steps, just to discover that the options were not available on this phone. 

Was able to clear cache on each app, one by one. No help. 

backed up all my data and factory reset phone, same issue within a few hrs. 

factory reset phone a few more times and the issue has gotten worse. 

went to verizon yesterday, a (under warranty) replacement was ordered (which means, i'll be getting a REFURBISHED device)

Question is, Is this a software issue??? 

if app issue, which of the most common apps used?.. e.g. FB, Messenger(whatsapp, fb, google, etc) or your (lenovo's, motorola)preinstalled stuff?. 

I'm afraid to have to deal with the same problem on the next device. 

I've used Motorola from the days of the flip phone... but this is getting pretty bad!.

Options

3736 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2716 Signins

25585 Page Views

• Views: 25585
  • Message 18 of 38

2019-01-05, 15:23 PM

wrote:

Same issue with my phone. 

about 6/8 months old. 

initially it was a sudden shut off, din't think much of it, until it started happenning more often and at different tasks. 

thought it was an app, (don't have many apps installed) 

forums said about clearing cache, followed steps, just to discover that the options were not available on this phone. 

Was able to clear cache on each app, one by one. No help. 

backed up all my data and factory reset phone, same issue within a few hrs. 

factory reset phone a few more times and the issue has gotten worse. 

went to verizon yesterday, a (under warranty) replacement was ordered (which means, i'll be getting a REFURBISHED device)

Question is, Is this a software issue??? 

if app issue, which of the most common apps used?.. e.g. FB, Messenger(whatsapp, fb, google, etc) or your (lenovo's, motorola)preinstalled stuff?. 

I'm afraid to have to deal with the same problem on the next device. 

I've used Motorola from the days of the flip phone... but this is getting pretty bad!.

My guess would be faulty hardware, if the shut downs hapoehap right after a factory reset.  A bad motherboard, bad battery, faulty connection somewhere?  At least you took action while it was still under warranty and didn't wait too long hoping got some kind of software update.  I have received many refurbished phones from Moto and Verizon and all looked and worked as good as new.

~Scott
Options

1 Posts

01-21-2019

US

7 Signins

113 Page Views

• Views: 113
  • Message 19 of 38

2019-01-21, 8:57 AM

My phone is starting to randomly turn off when the battery % is above 25% some times it'll turn back on and sometimes it'll give me the little symbol something like this ?. When i connect it to charger and it finally shows me the percentage it's at it'll be above 30- 40%. it's also starting to drop out of service. I already did battery calibration, safe mose the only this left is factory reset. What should I do???

Options

6 Posts

01-24-2019

US

10 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 20 of 38

2019-01-25, 14:58 PM

I've been having the exact same issue. Seems like it only started a few weeks ago for me.

I first noticed it randomly shutting down when trying to shoot video or take pictures. Then I noticed it when watching a video.

I thought it might be an issue when the memory card, so I bought another SanDisk card and moved all pics over. Same shut down issue still happening.

I decided to reset my phone back to factory. I did not restore my previous app loadout. Even after this, I still get the same random shut downs. I tested watching a video I shot with my phone, and part way through, it shut down.

I've also noticed it happens at other times as well. I was downloaded an app (Google's Play Games) from Google Play, and it shut down as soon as it started the download. Each time I would boot it up, it would crash again as it started the download in the background. I could see the download icon appear and start to animate, and then they phone would just shut off. This happened on four consecutive attempts. I waited a few minutes, and tried again, and then it booted ok. And the app was installed.

Device is up to date on OS and security updates 

Please, Motorola, based on all the other mentions, this is a known issue. It seems to happen on either Verizon or T-Mobile. There has to be more than you can do to help troubleshoot this.

Thank you

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete