01-26-2019

US

2 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 21 of 38

Re: Z2 force randomly turning off.

2019-01-26, 14:23 PM

I've never posted you a forum like this before so please be patient.

I have two Motorola Z2 Force phones. In the last two weeks both of them developed the same shutting on and off problem. The phone with power down and then start to power up again and get to the screen that said Lenovo, at that point it would power down again over and over. 

I tried all the menus and then I found the menus to do a factory reset. It's no joke to find it on the hardware buttons on this phone.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-35964#steps1

The phone restarted and seemed to work but three days later at work yesterday. When I was not looking at it or using it. It started again and I had to do aother factory reset. Sigh. 

The other phone was reset and I have not actually used it. It looks like it's working but I bet it's temperamental and at any moment it will simply do what it wants to do and starts restarting over and over again.

I called Motorola but the person I spoke to said that if I sent them $150 plus tax and shipping they send me another phone. I don't understand why it would be different than the two phones I already have?

I have been a fan of my Motorola phone for many years but this is frustrating.

Options

3736 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2716 Signins

25585 Page Views

• Views: 25585
  • Message 22 of 38

2019-01-26, 14:28 PM

WElcome to the forum.  Sorry to hear about your issues.  It sounds like you did everything you could on your end (the factory resets).  If the phone is outside of the 12 month warranty, then there normally is a repair / replacement fee.  If the phone is still within the 12 month warranty, there should not be a fee (normally).

~Scott
Options

13138 Posts

02-02-2016

US

1405 Signins

8890 Page Views

• Views: 8890
  • Message 23 of 38

2019-01-26, 14:39 PM

wrote:

I've never posted you a forum like this before so please be patient.

I have two Motorola Z2 Force phones. In the last two weeks both of them developed the same shutting on and off problem. The phone with power down and then start to power up again and get to the screen that said Lenovo, at that point it would power down again over and over. 

I tried all the menus and then I found the menus to do a factory reset. It's no joke to find it on the hardware buttons on this phone.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-35964#steps1

The phone restarted and seemed to work but three days later at work yesterday. When I was not looking at it or using it. It started again and I had to do aother factory reset. Sigh. 

The other phone was reset and I have not actually used it. It looks like it's working but I bet it's temperamental and at any moment it will simply do what it wants to do and starts restarting over and over again.

I called Motorola but the person I spoke to said that if I sent them $150 plus tax and shipping they send me another phone. I don't understand why it would be different than the two phones I already have?

I have been a fan of my Motorola phone for many years but this is frustrating.

I see you posted a link to TMobile. I have TMobile. If your phone is less than a year old you can have them send you replacement phones. It cost $25 to get it replaced. I just replaced mine right before my 1 year was up. My phone never had any issues but I used it so much my screen had a bad burn in from my navigation app. So for $25 I now have a refurbished but beautiful working phone again. 

Options

6 Posts

01-24-2019

US

10 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 24 of 38

2019-01-28, 2:06 AM

I'm certainly no engineer, but I think we may be dealing with a battery/voltage issue. I have experienced this shut down issue many times even in safe mode. I have factory reset this device twice. The second time, I didn't install anything at all, (other than Google standard files that automatically install for any user). I did not insert any SD card. I also charged the battery for 24 hours on the factory charger.

While keeping it on the charger, I could take video and pics and never any shut down. I took the phone off the charger and within minutes while trying to take pics, it shut down again.

I plugged it back it, and no issues. Seems like it may be a battery issue. I'm using a Moto mod battery as well (although not in the factory reset testing), and it shuts down with that attached as well.

So, perhaps a Lenovo engineer could review and help with a solution.

Thanks.

Options

1 Posts

03-28-2019

US

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 25 of 38

2019-03-28, 20:44 PM

I have another z2 force that is randomly shutting down, so far it has only happened when it is not being used. I have to do a soft reboot to get it to turn back on. With as many phones out there that seem to have this problem Moto needs to find a fix and not make the consumer continually pay for replaced phones that also develop the problem. 

Options

2 Posts

05-29-2019

US

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 26 of 38

2019-05-29, 16:04 PM

Hello my Z2 force is also randomly shutting down, it started like the others if the phone is in your pocket and you're jogging or something it shuts off. Now it has progressed into shutting off at 90 something percent and when trying to turn on it says battery is zero but when you plug up charger itlit say the 90 something percent it's at when it powered down. 

Options

2 Posts

05-29-2019

US

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 27 of 38

2019-05-29, 16:07 PM

I'm thinking it may be a battery or a screen issue? I'm not sure but Lenovo should help its customers out. Maybe a free battery replacement or a discount on a different phone. 

Options

4651 Posts

06-19-2010

US

101 Signins

1907 Page Views

• Views: 1907
  • Message 28 of 38

2019-05-29, 16:22 PM

wrote:

Hello my Z2 force is also randomly shutting down, it started like the others if the phone is in your pocket and you're jogging or something it shuts off. Now it has progressed into shutting off at 90 something percent and when trying to turn on it says battery is zero but when you plug up charger itlit say the 90 something percent it's at when it powered down. 

Have you tried to contact Moto support about this?

Thanks,

J

Options

1 Posts

07-29-2019

US

3 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 29 of 38

2019-07-31, 18:20 PM

I had the same issue with my Moto Z Force so traded it in for the Motor Z2 Force and guess what? 8 months later the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. It's all over the internet, all over the Verizon support site and obviously on this site also. So far I have not seen a single phone that has been fixed, NOT ONE. Factory reset, blah, blah, blah, it does not fix the problem long-term and it's ridiculous to have to go through all that anyway just to get the phone to do what it is suppose to do, which is actually work more than half the time. I have one shot left and that's the OS update if it ever even actually arrives in June...no July...no August maybe and that is a very long shot. I don't think the update will fix the problem as I think it is hardware related but I can hope I guess. I am so sick of this problem, 2 Moto phones in a row now I've been fighting this stupid stuff. I have been a loyal Motorola user since the RAZR but if this update doesn't fix this issue I AM DONE with Motorola for good My employer-provided phone is a Samsung, has the exact same apps installed and gives zero trouble, probably switch to one of those. Motorola should have fixed this a long time ago and done right by their customers but I don't see it happening. If one of the support techs reads this and actually has a REAL solution let me know about it. This is at least 2 years of the same problem and it hasn't been fixed so I don't expect to get a reply other than "did you recently drop the phone in water?" and "do a factory reset." Fixing this issue shouldn't be this hard but Motorola apparently either can't figure out that they have a recall-worthy problem with their products, or they just don't care. 

Options

12 Posts

02-20-2012

US

53 Signins

1087 Page Views

• Views: 1087
  • Message 30 of 38

2019-08-01, 14:28 PM
Mine has started it just recently as well. At least once every other day or so I'll hear it in my pocket rebooting.

For what its worth.... if on Verizon, the Pie update is now live. So I'm downloading that right now and hoping that might correct the issue.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete