Options

5 Posts

01-27-2018

US

10 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 1 of 131

z2 Force: Screen goes black & phone unresponsive on incoming calls. This is an intermittent problem.

2018-01-29, 15:40 PM
Solved! See the solution
Options

2438 Posts

12-19-2016

PH

477 Signins

37577 Page Views

• Views: 37577
  • Message 2 of 131

Re: z2 Force: Screen goes black & phone unresponsive on incoming calls. This is an intermittent

2018-01-29, 15:59 PM

Hi steve222

It must be inconvenient but let me help. May I ask when and what happened before it start? Does it only happen with incoming calls? Are you using the stock calling app or a third party app? We would like to know more. 

Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help us investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? Click on this link.

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

Options

5 Posts

01-27-2018

US

10 Signins

89 Page Views

• Message 3 of 131

Re: z2 Force: Screen goes black & phone unresponsive on incoming calls. This is an intermitt

2018-01-29, 16:25 PM

I am with T-Mobile.

Original dialer.

updated to Oreo

Nova Launcher

Tesla unread

Problem is incredibly frustrating. 

I will receive a call and the screen goes completely black. The only option is to power off & on.

this does not happen for every call.

Yes you can check whatever you need on my phone.

Options

821 Posts

02-20-2009

US

1000 Signins

6041 Page Views

• Views: 6041
  • Message 4 of 131

Re: z2 Force: Screen goes black & phone unresponsive on incoming calls. This is an intermitt

2018-01-30, 0:28 AM

If you run the phone in safe mode for a while, does this still happen? If not...one of your apps is to blame....

Options

5 Posts

01-27-2018

US

10 Signins

89 Page Views

• Message 5 of 131

2018-01-30, 0:41 AM

Thank you.

Do you know of any issues with What's app or Viber that may be causing this?

Options

24 Posts

08-07-2016

US

38 Signins

312 Page Views

• Views: 312
  • Message 6 of 131

Re: z2 Force: Screen goes black & phone unresponsive on incoming calls. This is an intermittent

2018-02-01, 2:10 AM

I'm also having this problem.. it's happens at least 2-3 times a day, it's on both incoming and outgoing calls, but mostly on incoming.. phone will ring, briefly displaying the normal incoming call screen "number/pic/swipe up to answer" as soon as I pick up the phone the entire screen goes black except the notification bar at top, "time, battery, signal, phone icon, and any other notifications that haven't been cleared, i.e. txt, email, various apps".. nothing I do will change this screen display, fingerprint reader, power button (both pressed and held down), volume buttons, changing phone ordination, plugging/unplugging power, putting it up to my ear (which I think is most likely the root of the problem, the phone somehow locks into thinking it's against my face so it turns the screen off).. nothing changes the screen until the call is "missed", then they screen pops up like normal and I'm allowed to call the person back..

while obviously a flaw and at best annoying, for certain calls that can't readily be returned, like a call from Verizon tech support for this very issue (just kidding I haven't called them yet) but I have missed a couple of calls that couldn't be returned easily and I just want to make sure Moto is fully aware of this issue..

between this, the obvious shatter screen problem and the USB drive issues it's really taking away from what is really and truly a very good phone otherwise.!

I know people mostly post about all the bad, myself included, and I have posted plenty of bad about this phone, mainly the screen.. but I really do love this phone, despite above, which I hope all gets remedied by Moto

Options

381 Posts

10-16-2014

US

2305 Signins

25014 Page Views

• Views: 25014
  • Message 7 of 131

2018-02-01, 5:42 AM

wrote:

putting it up to my ear (which I think is most likely the root of the problem, the phone somehow locks into thinking it's against my face so it turns the screen off)

Have you tested the proximity sensor?  Is your screen protector or case interfering with or blocking it?  I suspect that an intermittent proximity sensor could do that.

The only truly stupid question is the one you SHOULD have asked - but DIDN'T.
Options

24 Posts

08-07-2016

US

38 Signins

312 Page Views

• Views: 312
  • Message 8 of 131

2018-02-01, 6:32 AM

I haven't "tested" the sensor, haven't looked up a way to do that exactly.. but the problem occurred intermittently before I got my phone back for the shatter shield replacement (i.e. before I ever had any type of screen protector on it), albeit seems to be occurring more frequently in past few weeks.. to the point I decided to look it up on the forums..

while I think it "may" have something to do with the proximity sensor, that wouldn't explain the remaining notification bar at the top of the phone staying on during event.. when you put your phone up to your ear the entire screen goes off and has been a fairly tried and true tech over the last few years from my experience.. I don't think it's a physical/hardware issue, more of a software issue that may involve part of the "screen programming" thinking it's against my ear when it's not, but not the entire phone since the bar remains lit up.. idk how/if they could be linked, haven't looked into the coding on Androids since the first couple years they were out

I just know the end result is me trying repeatedly to answer my phone while it's ringing, or trying to cancel or at least look at a call I'm trying to make (to see if it's actually connecting because it's not ringing) and all I get is an inoperable phone until the call is either ended or connected

Options

5 Posts

01-27-2018

US

10 Signins

89 Page Views

• Message 9 of 131

2018-02-01, 12:45 PM

How do you tedt the proximity sensor?

I do not have a case or screen protector covering it

Options

1 Posts

02-01-2018

US

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 10 of 131

2018-02-01, 14:09 PM

Someone needs to look at this problem my moto z force 2 and my wife's z force 2 are doing exactly the same thing as you described.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save