Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Force
All Forum Topics
Options

3764 Posts

04-04-2013

United States of America

2725 Signins

25655 Page Views

• Views: 25655
  • Message 101 of 131

Re: z2 Force: Screen goes black & phone unresponsive on incoming calls. This is an intermittent

2018-11-19, 3:32 AM

wrote:

Well here's an update it started getting buggy again. Not every call but sporadically on the calls it would go dark. I dropped my phone and I broke the bumper case so I took the bumper case off. That was yesterday today I noticed that it was buggy turning off altogether and restarting. Then I could make a call because it wasn't recognizing my SIM card. I looked and the screen is coming off on one side it's like it's raised up and it's not sitting in the case surrounding the phone. The SIM card had popped out. I pushed it back in and I got it to work again no problem. I don't know if the screen is a result from the drop or if it is the original problem why the screen would go blank during the phone calls. Things are not connected as they should be inside the phone if it's raised up a bit I'm assuming. It was under the bumper case so I never noticed it before. It's probably though from the drop. I need to get the phone replaced now. LOL probably for the best.

You mentioned some way to get a replacement phone if I paid $25 to Motorola. I'm probably looking at a hundred and fifty through Verizon I'm thinking. I'd like to get more information on what the processes and how do I start that if that's an option for me?

The $25 fee is not a repair fee.  It's an Advance Replacement fee, if you want the replacement phone shipped to you first; instead of sending your phone to them first.  Whatever repair fees might apply are still applicable.  But the only way to know is to contact Moto Customer Support and discuss options.  

~Scott
Options

2 Posts

11-22-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 102 of 131

Re: z2 Force: Screen goes black & phone unresponsive on incoming calls. This is an intermittent

2018-11-22, 16:16 PM
Agent Rich,
Just wanted to say thanks for posting here and suggesting the sensor test with instructions to do so as well. This test helped me realize that my sensor was being blocked by my screen protector.
Seems that the "full screen" size screen protectors with the black portions on top and bottom have this flaw. Even though, they do have a spot with clear glass for the sensor, I have found by trial that the spot must be open like the ear piece and camera, not just clear.
Just wanted to pass the this on so you can better service your consumers.
I have bought the fully clear protector which does not wrap all the way around, as I did, with the Moto Z1 and never had this problem.
Faithfully,
Bill B.
Options

1 Posts

11-23-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 103 of 131

2018-11-23, 13:17 PM

REMOVE any clear film or protector covering the proximity sensor. 

REMOVE IT! Problem solved.

I was having issues with dialer going black right after I make call. Also had issues with waving hand over display gesture. I had the clear protective screen on that came with the phone as I wanted to wait for my Verizon flexible tempered glass to be delivered.. I was having issues with the film protector so I kept my film on & just peeled the upper right corner to expose the sensor. I made a call to voicemail.  BOOM! My dialer finally shows up. It works great now. I just put the film back on and made call.... BLACK SCREEN!... I hope it is only a film issue because I ordered the Verizon flexible screen protector. This doesn't cover the sensor like film protector. It has a hole for the proximity sensor. Simply put.. DON'T COVER THE SENSOR AT ALL.

Options

4 Posts

06-01-2012

United States

2 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 104 of 131

Smart Lock Blank, Having to Repeat Trust Agent Fix

2018-11-29, 15:13 PM

Good Morning All.

I know there are other posts on the forums about the issues with the Smart Lock settings page going blank.  I have been able to work around the issue by toggling the Google Trust Agent off, rebooting, and re-enabling.  But it is a recurring problem, and has happened multiple times in the past few days.  

Is this solely a Google issue?  If so, does anyone know if they are tracking it, or the best way to submit this sort of a bug?  Or is it a Moto issue?  On previous devices I didnt have this problem, but also wasnt on Oreo....

Thanks!

Options

18 Posts

09-25-2018

United States of America

40 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 105 of 131

Re: Smart Lock Blank, Having to Repeat Trust Agent Fix

2018-11-29, 15:24 PM

It has been happening more frequently on my husband's Z2 Force since posting the other day in that other thread you mentioned.  But does not happen at all on my Z2 Play.  Not sure if it's a Google issue, Oreo issue, or Moto smart Lock issue.

Options

9 Posts

02-07-2018

United States of America

27 Signins

212 Page Views

• Views: 212
  • Message 106 of 131

2018-12-26, 21:54 PM

My phone is doing the exact same thing as everybody's else. There is definitely a problem here. And no Tim (Senior MotoAgent) I'm not going to do a factory reset. If I've read that one time I've read it a thousand. That is not that answer to fixing every problem with these phones. So find someone that can fix them because it is very frustrating and aggravating especially when you pay over 700.00 for a phone, you expect it to work properly

Options

9 Posts

02-07-2018

United States of America

27 Signins

212 Page Views

• Views: 212
  • Message 107 of 131

2018-12-26, 21:57 PM

My phone is doing the exact same thing as everybody's else. There is definitely a problem here. And no Tim (Senior MotoAgent) I'm not going to do a factory reset. If I've read that one time I've read it a thousand. That is not that answer to fixing every problem with these phones. So find someone that can fix them because it is very frustrating and aggravating especially when you pay over 700.00 for a phone, you expect it to work properly

Options

2 Posts

11-22-2018

United States of America

3 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 108 of 131

2018-12-26, 22:36 PM

To rcbass,

I figured mine out. Scroll down and follow the steps to test the front sensor. I bet it's being blocked by your screen protector or case. Mine was because I bought a full screen protector with the black strips on top and bottom. Those are not good for these phones. You cannot block the little sensor even with clear glass. I just had to splurge a whole seven dollars on a different protector and live without one for a couple days while it was delivered. Good luck. These Moto z phones are awesome! Call Motorola! They are excellent with customers.

Options

15 Posts

11-11-2018

United States of America

17 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 109 of 131

2018-12-27, 2:38 AM

I took my case off and I realized that my screen was coming loose from the phone and starting to pop up in one spot. This was a refurbished phone to start with. I use my insurance to get it replaced and they sent me a brand new phone instead of a refurbished phone. I haven't had any issues on the new one.

Options

25 Posts

08-07-2016

United States of America

38 Signins

312 Page Views

• Views: 312
  • Message 110 of 131

2018-12-27, 3:19 AM

Please stop posting your magic solutions and telling everyone the problem is solved when it's not.. while I'm sure some people may have inadvertantly covered up their proximity sensor with various cases/protectors, that is ABSOLUTELY NOT the problem described by most in this thread, nor the reason it was started.

when the proximity sensor/programming is functioning properly it turns off the entire screen, notification bar and all.. you can also hold it up to your ear, or cover it manually with your thumb and then press the power button or fingerprint sensor and the screen will still come on. the problem the majority of us are experiencing is detailed by several different posters, including me in posts 6 and 8 on page 1 of this thread and is not a simple covering of the sensor

posting such things declaring the problem's solved is how they end up getting marked as "solved" and never looked into further.. not that I'm holding my breath that this particular problem is being looked into at all anymore:/

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms