Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Play
All Forum Topics
Options

57 Posts

04-25-2018

India

60 Signins

936 Page Views

• Views: 936
  • Message 11 of 18

Re: Backup problem.

2018-05-13, 14:37 PM

@

Sorry for late reply, in my case I'm not getting option for backing up my sms in google drive, searched my entire phone but didn't get any such option to backup my sms to google drive. I'm not using using third party app for sms, it's the one that was pre installed.

Anyway auto backup to google drive has completely stopped after 6th may.

Is there anyone who got backup to google drive after 6th may?

Options

13049 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1252 Signins

170480 Page Views

• Views: 170480
  • Message 12 of 18

2018-05-14, 15:16 PM

Hi Prantik0,

Have you tried resyncing your google account with your phone? Kindly go to Settings > Accounts > Google > Sync. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

57 Posts

04-25-2018

India

60 Signins

936 Page Views

• Message 13 of 18

2018-05-14, 15:37 PM

wrote:

Hi Prantik0,

Have you tried resyncing your google account with your phone? Kindly go to Settings > Accounts > Google > Sync. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Hello 

Options

13049 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1252 Signins

170480 Page Views

• Views: 170480
  • Message 14 of 18

2018-05-16, 15:01 PM

Hi Prantik0,

I'm thinking if this is something related to your google account. Could you please try to remove your Gmail account then add it back? To do so, kindly go to Settings > Accounts > Tap your Gmail Account > Remove Account. Then, try to add it back and then manually sync it. Please note that the messages can only backup 25 MB kindly check that factor as well. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

57 Posts

04-25-2018

India

60 Signins

936 Page Views

• Message 15 of 18

2018-05-17, 16:17 PM
Comletely removed my account from my Z2 play then added it, still all four items are showing messages that 'waiting to backup' ('App data', 'Call history', 'Device settings', 'SMS text messages')

If you have Z2P can you confirm it is working?
Options

4808 Posts

02-11-2016

United States of America

3273 Signins

73561 Page Views

• Views: 73561
  • Message 16 of 18

2018-05-21, 14:43 PM

wrote:
Comletely removed my account from my Z2 play then added it, still all four items are showing messages that 'waiting to backup' ('App data', 'Call history', 'Device settings', 'SMS text messages')

I have a Z2P and many other devices. The Google backup for me seems to be random across phones. At this time, I don't think there is an issue with the phone or your account. I had to do some searching but there is what I found form Google Product forums. (Backup won't run if the phone is not charging. It is restricted to the device being on Wifi, idle and charging. The reason for that is that the theoretical backup size per app is 25 MB which would have a terrible impact on battery life and data usage.  As you can see here (https://support.google.com/pixelphone/forum/AAAAb4-OgUs_cT9mSHbwZ4/?hl=by) You're not the only person seeing this. 

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up icon on the bottom right to thank them with a Kudo!

Options

57 Posts

04-25-2018

India

60 Signins

936 Page Views

• Message 17 of 18

2018-05-23, 6:03 AM

@

Moto Z2 play when connected to wifi and charging, it was showig waiting to backup for over an hour. I tried all trouble shooting steps like removing and adding account, hard reset, restore factory settings. Under System>Backup, it is showing waiting to backup but under user and accounts in my google account all things seems to be perfectly synchronising. So I deleted my backup for Z2P from google drive and again turned on backup & plugged in, unfortunately in google drive no backup took place for Z2P.

All my devices are backing up to google drive except Z2P. This same google account, exact same apps (except few OEM installed) in nokia 6 and MiA1 working fine. Backup settings for all these devices are same. Moreover in my google drive>Backups, I'm getting a message that my device isn't backed up althoughbackup is turned on.

So my conclusion is that problem is not related with my account nor google drive, either it is with the device or something else which I failed to find out.

Thanks for your help.

Options

57 Posts

04-25-2018

India

60 Signins

936 Page Views

• Message 18 of 18

2018-06-17, 19:49 PM

wrote:

wrote:

I have a Z2P and many other devices. The Google backup for me seems to be random across phones. At this time, I don't think there is an issue with the phone or your account. I had to do some searching but there is what I found form Google Product forums. (Backup won't run if the phone is not charging. It is restricted to the device being on Wifi, idle and charging. The reason for that is that the theoretical backup size per app is 25 MB which would have a terrible impact on battery life and data usage.  As you can see here (https://support.google.com/pixelphone/forum/AAAAb4-OgUs_cT9mSHbwZ4/?hl=by) You're not the only person seeing this. 

-Tom

Yesterday I just deleted my backup for my moto G3 TE by from google drive app, using the app. once it was deleted it was showing the message that device isn't backed up although backup is turned on. I did this exact thing in my Mi A1 and result is same, in the drive app it shows that the device isn't backed up although backup is turned on and in backup it shows all stuffs are waiting for backup, Again this exact message is showing in my Z2P. Previously backup was working fine in Mi A1 like in your case.

So next I did this exact same thing with my friends using nokia 5, nokia 6, MI A1, Moto G3 and the results are same in all the cases. Previosly in all the devices backup was working fine but as soon as they deleted backup by opening drive app>backup, in all cases exact message was shown that device is not backed up and in backup all the stuffs are waiting to be backed up. We tried all painful possible permutation and combinations of the trouble shooting method like removing google account, clearing drive app data, restore factory setting, updating drive app, but nothing worked. (Please note this was in country India)

As you told that your device backup in drive is working fine I will request you if you delete the existing backup from the drive app and see whether it backup is working again or not.

Even it is a request for the readers of this message who are willing to volunteer to just delete the existing backup of the device from the google drive app (drive>backup>delete) and see if your backup is once again taking place and in backup menu (from settings) all your stuffs are backing up. Please post your result (if possible attach the screenshots).

Best Regards

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms