Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Play
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

11-24-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 2

Does Motorola make a phone similar in size to the Moto Z2 Play?

2021-11-24, 23:18 PM

I had a Moto Z2 Play for a bit over one year, and when I cracked the screen pretty badly I replaced it with a Motorola One Hyper, a much bigger phone, and promptly broke the screen on that one too. I replaced that phone with a Samsung phone that is about the same size. 

Meanwhile I resurrected the old Moto Z2 Play by covering the cracked screen with clear packing tape (!!!) and I have been using the phone without a sim card. It's kind of amazing how much you can do:  I can make phone calls from home or anywhere with wireless using my Google Voice app and phone number. In fact, my connection and call quality are better with this phone using Google Voice than my simcard Tmobile phone using my wireless network, because cellphone reception is horrible in my home. I also can use the "HERE WeGo" app to navigate in my car. It uses GPS and works without a simcard, just as good as Waze or Google Maps. 

But the main takeaway is not that I don't need a simcard. I really like the small size and weight of this phone, the old Moto Z2 Play vs the big and clunky phones that I used to replace it. Does Motorola make anything comparable? I am not seeing it. Everything seems to be around 165 x 76 x 9+ mm and weighs 205 grams.  The Moto Z2 Play is listed at 156.2 x 76.2 x 6 mm and weighs a mere 145 grams. 

oh, and I only paid $199 + tax for the phone so it seemed uneconomic to pay to replace the screen - I think I was quoted $160, but I might take another look at that option. 

Options

1560 Posts

02-18-2019

United States of America

156 Signins

15109 Page Views

• Views: 15109
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Does Motorola make a phone similar in size to the Moto Z2 Play?

2021-11-25, 16:17 PM

@ MNJack wrote:

I had a Moto Z2 Play for a bit over one year, and when I cracked the screen pretty badly I replaced it with a Motorola One Hyper, a much bigger phone, and promptly broke the screen on that one too. I replaced that phone with a Samsung phone that is about the same size. 

Meanwhile I resurrected the old Moto Z2 Play by covering the cracked screen with clear packing tape (!!!) and I have been using the phone without a sim card. It's kind of amazing how much you can do:  I can make phone calls from home or anywhere with wireless using my Google Voice app and phone number. In fact, my connection and call quality are better with this phone using Google Voice than my simcard Tmobile phone using my wireless network, because cellphone reception is horrible in my home. I also can use the "HERE WeGo" app to navigate in my car. It uses GPS and works without a simcard, just as good as Waze or Google Maps. 

But the main takeaway is not that I don't need a simcard. I really like the small size and weight of this phone, the old Moto Z2 Play vs the big and clunky phones that I used to replace it. Does Motorola make anything comparable? I am not seeing it. Everything seems to be around 165 x 76 x 9+ mm and weighs 205 grams.  The Moto Z2 Play is listed at 156.2 x 76.2 x 6 mm and weighs a mere 145 grams. 

oh, and I only paid $199 + tax for the phone so it seemed uneconomic to pay to replace the screen - I think I was quoted $160, but I might take another look at that option. 

Hi @ MNJack ,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We also appreciate your feedback. I understand that you're looking for a device similar to the size and weight of the Moto Z2 Play. I checked and found the exact dimensions of the device which are 156.2 x 76.2 x 5.99 mm (8.49mm at camera bump).

I compared these dimensions to our newer devices and none of the available devices we have matches the specifications you're looking for. Although that is the case, most of our devices are still close to the weight and size of the Moto Z2 Play.

If you're interested, you check out our newer phones and compare them on our website here: https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones.

Regards,
Mary
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the Thumbs up icon on the bottom right thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms