189 Signins

2420 Page Views

• Views: 2420
  • Message 101 of 107

Re: Extreme battery drain Z2 Play

2018-12-02, 22:00 PM

wrote:
Hi Matt,
I have a severe battery drain problem with my Moto z2 play.It gets fully drained out in 4-5 hours.can u please help

i'm running into this lately.... it's annoying not getting through a whole day anymore not even with a turbopower pack...

Options

2 Posts

02-24-2019

US

9 Signins

67 Page Views

• Views: 67
  • Message 102 of 107

2019-02-24, 22:21 PM

Hi,

I've had my z2 Play since August of 2018. I never had any battery issues until a couple weeks ago. At that time I charged the phone to 90 or 100% and it dropped to around 50% in a matter of minutes where it leveled off. So now instead of 2 or 3 days on a charge I was getting 1 day or less. And the percentage that the battery leveled at after being charged seemed to be inching down toward 40%.

I saw on this thread about calibrating the battery and did that, leaving the charger connected for 2 hours or so after the phone showed 100%. As soon as I unplugged from the charger the battery level started dropping again. At least this time it leveled aff at around 75%. Progress! Battery discharge rate since was about what I have come to expect.

Well, I charged it up to 95% today and it quickly went back down to 50% again as soon as I unplugged the charger. Do I go through the calibration process again? Are these calibrations shortening battery life?

I've put the usual information requested in my profile. I have my IMEI in there - if you want my serial # I'll have to change that info. The settings in my phone are as you usually request. You have my permission  to access my phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Options

1 Posts

03-04-2019

US

2 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 103 of 107

2019-03-04, 2:07 AM

Hi, Moto community. I'm a longtime Moto Z Play (1st Gen) owner and have much love for that device. My only misgivings at this point in its relatively long life are a waning battery (understandable after 2+ years of dutiful service, and fairly mitigated by the addition of a battery mod) and its low storage capacity (much more of an issue).

With Motorola's closeout pricing for the 64GB Moto Z2 Play, I'm tempted to pick one of those up...but the seemingly pervasive reports of excessive battery drain under Android 8.0 give me serious pause. It looks like no real solution has been found for those affected, is that correct? On the flipside, is there a contingent of Z2 Play owners out there who don't seem to have a battery issue with the last update?

I guess I'm trying to gauge how stupid it would be to even bother purchasing a Z2 Play with these battery drain reports lingering. If I wasn't constantly bumping up against the storage cap on my Z Play, I'd just wait out further news on the Z4 Play that's supposedly in the pipeline...but it's getting annoying constantly weeding through my installed apps and clearing caches/temp files to keep the thing under capacity. If I did take the plunge on a Z2 Play (direct from Motorola) and find it afflicted with crap battery life, what's my return window?

Options

595 Posts

07-06-2010

US

1317 Signins

18729 Page Views

• Views: 18729
  • Message 104 of 107

2019-03-04, 14:32 PM

wrote:

Hi, Moto community. I'm a longtime Moto Z Play (1st Gen) owner and have much love for that device. My only misgivings at this point in its relatively long life are a waning battery (understandable after 2+ years of dutiful service, and fairly mitigated by the addition of a battery mod) and its low storage capacity (much more of an issue).

With Motorola's closeout pricing for the 64GB Moto Z2 Play, I'm tempted to pick one of those up...but the seemingly pervasive reports of excessive battery drain under Android 8.0 give me serious pause. It looks like no real solution has been found for those affected, is that correct? On the flipside, is there a contingent of Z2 Play owners out there who don't seem to have a battery issue with the last update?

I guess I'm trying to gauge how stupid it would be to even bother purchasing a Z2 Play with these battery drain reports lingering. If I wasn't constantly bumping up against the storage cap on my Z Play, I'd just wait out further news on the Z4 Play that's supposedly in the pipeline...but it's getting annoying constantly weeding through my installed apps and clearing caches/temp files to keep the thing under capacity. If I did take the plunge on a Z2 Play (direct from Motorola) and find it afflicted with crap battery life, what's my return window?

Speaking only for myself, I've had zero issues with the battery life on my Z2 PLay.  I use Accubattery, and charge it up into the 80%-85% range at night before bedtime - after waking up, carrying it with me through the day, using at least a couple hours of screen on-time, a pile of business phone calls, emails checking six accounts and frequent Facebook checkins (I admin the company page), I generally am only at 30-35% by the time I'm ready to head home around 4pm.  I do own a few mods and use them lightly, but haven't seen a need for the battery.   The "health" reading on Accubattery for my phone is still showing better than 105% of its rated capacity; I've always felt those 100%+ numbers were silly, but they DO show very little degration over the time I've had the phone.

Sure don't blame you for being concerned, but I have zero regrets and am VERY happy with the Z2P's battery life.  Odds are I'll upgrade to whatever the fourth generation is in the fall to stay current with software, but this phone will become a healthy hand-me-down to my wife ... and looks like its power source will be in better shape than most of the retired phones she's taken over across the years.  

Options

2 Posts

06-12-2019

IN

3 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 105 of 107

Battery problem

2019-06-12, 14:48 PM

I have Moto z2 play from last days whenever I full charge my phone it's battery start draining very fast whithin 5 min it goes from 100 to 60% if I restart it then also battery lost around 40% and last time it went to 13% from 98% is there any solution 

Options

30 Posts

05-03-2019

US

25 Signins

336 Page Views

• Views: 336
  • Message 106 of 107

Re: Battery problem

2019-06-17, 4:45 AM

I got mine in 2017 and it's ok on battery.  These days it uses about 10% per hour which I thought sucked until I read some stuff in this thread.  If it's depleting that quick 40% in 5 minutes, it's not reliable enough to factory reset because battery could die mid-flash.  Maybe you used yours much more than me?

I download a lot but average 10 minutes of voice per month and under 50 sms.  But at least what I want to use it for I can longer than 15 minutes before battery is drained. 

Imo the next phone you guys get, no more internal batteries.  

Options

2 Posts

08-12-2019

US

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 107 of 107

2019-08-12, 5:31 AM

Same thing as everyone else. Been fighting this for over a year. Amazing that motoMoto/Lenovo can't own up to it.

Tried safe mode. No better.

Tried factory reset. No better.

I will NEVER open another Moto product and will do everything I can to convince everyone I know to avoid them.

Change my mind motorMot/Lenovo forum......

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete