10-25-2018

US

20 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 1 of 2

Frustrating Lack of Good-Faith Transparency in What You Are ACTUALLY Selling

2019-09-12, 18:41 PM

I will use my Verizon-branded Moto Z2 Play as an example, although the general complaint applies to cellphones in general.

What is the expected storage functionality for a Verizon Moto Z2 Play?

The Motorola site says:

The Moto Z2 Play  supports file-based encryption (FBE). File-based encryption allows different files to be encrypted with different keys that can be unlocked independently. File-based encryption cannot currently be used together with adoptable storage. On devices using file-based encryption, new storage media (such as an SD card) must be used as traditional storage. Article Link.

I assume this means un-encrypted, but since it's vaguely worded, they could be talking about something else that I am not aware of.

Meanwhile, the official documentation from verizon says the following contradictory information:

"Caution: If your microSD card is set to internal storage, it is formatted and encrypted to protect your information."

General Commentary / Rant:

As far as I can tell, there is no official information listed on either verizon or motorola/lenovo websites with specific microsd compatibility details. The Moto help app, just like other manufacturer's troubleshoting tools, does nothing to help you authenticate the MicroSD card, expected lifespan, document specific formatting requirements so that you can use your PC as an alternative.

Elsewhere on the internet, a non-official support forum said that verizon moto z2 requires internal encryption. However, I specifically remember manually turning that feature on and now cannot disable it, which appears to be causing compatibility problems with the samsung microSD card. Is it possible that Samsung cards are better supported on Samsung devices? Could that be why a lower quality and slower Sandisk card I have works more reliably?

Phones that cannot be rooted mean that users have to store their data on storage media that they do not have complete control over. This limits your ability to perform advanced recovery, troubleshooting, maintenance, and security control over its access. Not being able to install modify the OS can mean not having control over choosing the update or version that meets your self-chosen security needs. None of these restrictions are consistent with the definition of "ownership". Instead, it resembles more of a borrowing/renting/leasing or perhaps "hardware as a service" type of arrangement where the real owners have greater control the the consumer who is more of a primary service user.

Buying cellphone for the purpose of activating service, often means having to roll the dice when it comes to what you are actually buying. All manufacturers and cellphone carriers typically fail to clearly explain how their combination of cellphone and service differs from other combinations of cellphone/service. In order to completely figure this out, you pretty much have to go through the frustrating and seriously time consuming process of finding out the hard way and through countless third-party tools and documentation.

When a person buys a product model that comes with many variations such as computers, cars, construction equipment, etc. It is pretty much an industry standard for manufacturers to ethically make it relatively easy for the consumer to know that widget model 123 comes in 5 versions and the official list of differences is freely available by only the manufacturer, whose information is both authoritative and most complete and reliable.

Just about every product that can be bought inherently comes with the "rights" to modify it however you want. However, cellphone manufacturers do not do a very good job of making this point crystal clear. If you cannot modify the product you "bought", it seems more as if you are leasing it instead of actually owning it. If you can't install a custom OS or root a given phone, then the percentage of the phone that you actually "own" is far lower than the percentage of the phone that you own when you have complete control over customizing it. Isn't customization the biggest appeal of ownership over renting/leasing/borrowing? 

This is sort of related to a post about the Moto Z Play (How to disable encryption?).

Options

10897 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1132 Signins

153510 Page Views

• Views: 153510
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Frustrating Lack of Good-Faith Transparency in What You Are ACTUALLY Selling

2019-09-17, 15:57 PM

Hi ag346,

We apologize for the confusion. I have raised this and the team updated the FAQ for more details about using SD card. Appreciate your report on this. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete