Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Play
All Forum Topics
Options

57 Posts

04-25-2018

India

60 Signins

936 Page Views

• Views: 936
  • Message 1 of 27

Problems in Moto Z2 Play after android 8.0 Update

2018-05-04, 6:42 AM

Atlast MOTO/LENOVO pushed out OTA for Android 8.0 for moto z2 play on retin channel on 1st may'18. After upgrading to 8.0 I was once again disappointed as the update didn't solved all the existing issues on z2 play.

First I'll start with the moto app launcher. Here frequency of mysterious disappearnce of google now feed even after it was turned on seems to have decreased a little bit for the time being, but we are still missing the latest google search widget with its new appearance customisation feature. Next we have live animated calendar icon where date shown on the icon changes with the current date but unfortunately moto/lenovo didn't updated the default clock icon and time shown in the icon remains constant (but it changes if I use pixel launcher).

We still have main three genetic problem for this device mainly:

1. Extreme high mobile standby battery drain
  2. High phone idle battery drain
  3. Low ringtone volume

Along with above these we still have mysterios battery level indicator (which either remains fix for a long time or starts falling too rapid for doing same task)

Finally moto has opened the option for native video calling if carrier support rather than using a complex process for enabling it.

(https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-Play/Support-for-Native-4G-Video-Call-in-Z2-Play-Jio-to-Jio-lt-VoLTE/td-p/4059247)

It is still doubtful why another new feature for changing icon shape is completely missing.

Finally the most important one, device is having google drive backup issue. Backup to google drive is stucked and forever getting a message that 'waiting to backup', it doesn't matter wheather phone is connected to internet via mobile data or wifi or even charging. It has been a problem from google side, don't know about latest status of the problem. I'm facing this exact problem and I had no idea what moto/lenovo did/doing/will do about it.
Maybe someone from moto/lenovo will be able to provide more information.

---------------------------------------------------

Pls don't request me to do once again a battery calibration/hard reset/factory reset/network reset, full discharge & overnight charge, clearing cache as I'm tired of doing these.

Options

189 Posts

07-28-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

189 Signins

2420 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2420
  • Message 2 of 27

Re: Problems in Moto Z2 Play after android 8.0 Update

2018-05-06, 12:18 PM
thanks for taking the time to write all of this down. waiting for some reply from Moto now
Options

57 Posts

04-25-2018

India

60 Signins

936 Page Views

• Message 3 of 27

2018-05-06, 13:07 PM
For the time being backup problem with google drive seems to have resolved and I don't know if it is for temporary or permanent.

And there is another problem which I almost missed. And it shouldn't bother as long you are taking photos with it.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-Z-Play/Moto-Z2-Play-Camera-distortion/m-p/4065904#M2417

Eagerly waiting for someone senior from moto to atleast have a look and comment/reply.
Options

13065 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1253 Signins

170590 Page Views

• Views: 170590
  • Message 4 of 27

2018-05-08, 20:57 PM

Hi Prantik0,

Sorry to know about that. It's a good thing the backup problem is already resolved, thanks for updating. In regards to the battery draining issue please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Need help updating your profile? See here

Also for the camera distortion issue kindly post to that thread and provide me a sample photo. I will escalate it to the Product Team. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

57 Posts

04-25-2018

India

60 Signins

936 Page Views

• Message 5 of 27

2018-05-09, 6:59 AM

It is turned on and you can feel free to look at my apps.

This is an unlocked phone and I'm currently using Jio 4G as the only SIM. I doubt battery draining issue due to some installed apps. For instance if I compare the apps installed in this phone to that installed in my Moto G3 TE, my G3 TE has all this apps installed along with some other and I had never faced this type of issue in G3. Even I had dual SIM card (Jio+Airtel) in my G3 where mobile standby drain barely reaches half that of Z2P and idle battery drain not more than 1/5th of Z2P.

I wonder how it is ever possible that this problem was never noticed in testing phase before this product actually launched in the market. And this problem with battery draining issue is present in each and every single unit of Z2P. There are many threads regarding this issue unsolved. I lost my hope that this problem will ever get solved.

In this case I'll be happy if at least Z2P users can get all the features of the latest version of Android that was pushed for this device which is missing as mentioned in the first post of this thread.

Regarding distortion problem of camera, samples are present in that thread. This is another example that this device was not extensively tested before product was actually launched.

This reply may sound harsh, but nothing personal to anyone.

Thanks.

Options

13065 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1253 Signins

170590 Page Views

• Message 6 of 27

2018-05-10, 21:20 PM

Hi Prantik0,

In regards to battery draining issue, to be honest you're right I'm not seeing any apps that may cause the issue. I would suggest we calibrate your battery. Kindly switch off your phone and charge it until full. Once it's full unplug the phone from the charger after an hour. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Click the thumbs up button to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

57 Posts

04-25-2018

India

60 Signins

936 Page Views

• Message 7 of 27

2018-05-11, 6:18 AM

Already did caibration 4 times in one month, so if it is calibration issue it should have gone by this time but it didn't. Even I cleared cachae partition and did a full restore factory settings but none of them solved this issue. I don't think it is a calibration issue anymore.

I don't use Z2P as my daily driver, though never used it. I think Nokia and other manufacturer Android One devices at this price tags are much better and reliabe (don't know about X4 android one). At this point I'll be happy if the software issues and missing options as mentioned in the first post can be solved.

If you look at my post for given below link, I think you will agree that this device is not reliable for using it as daily driver.

Z2 Play Battery Statistics

Anyway if I neglect camera hump, I love this slim metallic design and thanks for your help Rich.

Options

13065 Posts

03-05-2018

United States of America

1253 Signins

170590 Page Views

• Message 8 of 27

2018-05-16, 19:09 PM

Hi Prantik0,

Thanks for your reply. It's actually weird that your battery life hours will last 10 days. Could please confirm how long does your battery really last within the day? Thanks, in regards to the camera issue, I'm still waiting for our Product Team's update. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Options

1 Posts

06-06-2018

Poland

3 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 9 of 27

2018-06-06, 15:23 PM

I bought moto z2 play only becouse moto said that upgrade to oreo will be quickly. I feal cheated.

I never bay moto!!!! *removed*!

Edited: due to site rules violation -preferred language

Options

1 Posts

06-07-2018

Indonesia

2 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 10 of 27

2018-06-07, 18:55 PM

I have the same exact problem with my z2 play, 10% battery gone in 10 min standby mode after the update. Any solution?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms