Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Play
All Forum Topics
Options

88 Posts

12-30-2011

United States of America

208 Signins

3193 Page Views

• Views: 3193
  • Message 1 of 114

The Wait Begins for Android O / Android 8

2017-08-31, 16:09 PM

OK, so I only just received my Moto Z2 Play Unlocked and it came loaded with Android 7.1.1 so MAYBE I'm being a little ungrateful but I can't be alone in wondering when we can expect to See a roll out of Android Oreo to our Moto/Lenovo phones. And yes, Oreo only became real a week ago but the Motorola "YOUR HOME FOR UPDATES" page doesn't even acknowledge that Android 8 exists. A simple note indicating something like "We're working on the Android O update timeline so please stay tuned..." would be welcome.

Answer
Options

5418 Posts

07-12-2014

United States of America

925 Signins

79600 Page Views

• Views: 79600

Re: The Wait Begins for Android O / Android 8

2017-08-31, 16:37 PM

wrote:

OK, so I only just received my Moto Z2 Play Unlocked and it came loaded with Android 7.1.1 so MAYBE I'm being a little ungrateful but I can't be alone in wondering when we can expect to See a roll out of Android Oreo to our Moto/Lenovo phones. And yes, Oreo only became real a week ago but the Motorola "YOUR HOME FOR UPDATES" page doesn't even acknowledge that Android 8 exists. A simple note indicating something like "We're working on the Android O update timeline so please stay tuned..." would be welcome.

Hi CaptainObvious,

Motorola will evaluate the latest Android release and determine which products will be upgraded. Please watch the Motorola blog and the Motorola Software Upgrade News page for updates. We will surely make an announcement there once more information is available.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Replies(113)
Answer
Options

5418 Posts

07-12-2014

United States of America

925 Signins

79600 Page Views

• Views: 79600
  • Message 2 of 114

2017-08-31, 16:37 PM

wrote:

Hi CaptainObvious,

Motorola will evaluate the latest Android release and determine which products will be upgraded. Please watch the Motorola blog and the Motorola Software Upgrade News page for updates. We will surely make an announcement there once more information is available.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

29 Posts

08-22-2017

United States of America

97 Signins

461 Page Views

• Views: 461
  • Message 3 of 114

2017-08-31, 19:55 PM

According to this site, could be November 2017.

<link removed>

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 4 of 114

2017-09-01, 2:08 AM

wrote:

<link removed>

That link is a clickbait site with no affiliation to motorola and no factual sources of information. They exist solely for advert revenue. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

88 Posts

12-30-2011

United States of America

208 Signins

3193 Page Views

• Views: 3193
  • Message 5 of 114

2017-09-01, 12:32 PM

wrote:

<link removed>

I saw some References to Motorola implemting Andoid O for the Z Force series "late 2017" but none of those sites indicated Motorola/Lenovo as a source so I wasn't about to help spread unfounded rumors...

I understand that there is a process for Moto to follow and even though their phones (especially unlocked ones like my Z2 Play) are lightly skinned that there is still an effort required for good analysis. My point was that the Moto "your home for updates" page makes it sound like Nougat is the latest and greatest Android vesion that folks are waiting for and that is ceratinly no longer true.

Options

5 Posts

09-01-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 6 of 114

2017-09-01, 14:52 PM
We are not getting any major updates on the z2 play. We will get small security updates that's all. Since Lenovo took over they no longer update software next year's Moto z3 play will have Android 8 while Google releases a newer version of Android.
Lenovo has adopted Samsung's practice of just release new models every year and forget support for the older phones
Options

190 Posts

07-28-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

191 Signins

2440 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2440
  • Message 7 of 114

2017-09-01, 16:30 PM

wrote:
We are not getting any major updates on the z2 play. We will get small security updates that's all. Since Lenovo took over they no longer update software next year's Moto z3 play will have Android 8 while Google releases a newer version of Android.
Lenovo has adopted Samsung's practice of just release new models every year and forget support for the older phones

if that's true, it's very bad news. i doubt you have any proof for your statement. 

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 8 of 114

2017-09-01, 16:34 PM

wrote:

wrote:

if that's true, it's very bad news. i doubt you have any proof for your statement. 

Don't believe everything people post.... there is no indication that this is true. Most phones have received 2 major updates, and there is no reason to think that the Z line will not follow suit. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

190 Posts

07-28-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

191 Signins

2440 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2440
  • Message 9 of 114

2017-09-01, 16:41 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Don't believe everything people post.... there is no indication that this is true. Most phones have received 2 major updates, and there is no reason to think that the Z line will not follow suit. 

Thank God. I'm already looking forward to Android Q on my Moto Z2 Play. LOL

Options

462 Posts

11-20-2009

United States of America

207 Signins

2445 Page Views

• Views: 2445
  • Message 10 of 114

2017-09-04, 3:22 AM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Thank God. I'm already looking forward to Android Q on my Moto Z2 Play. LOL

More than likely our last major update will be P.  We started with N, O will be our first major, and P will be our second major.  Q would be nice, but don't expect it.  One of the reasons why is parts manufacturers (CPU, Radios, and such) only support their hardware for 2 years. Even Googles own devices are subjected to this.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms