Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Play
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

09-01-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 11 of 114

Re: The Wait Begins for Android O / Android 8

2017-09-04, 7:32 AM

Here is my proof as a previous Motorola user last Moto x even though it's a smaller version of Nexus 6 no major updates even though it's been scheduled for over a year. Moto g4 again no major updates. By major update I don't mean going from 7.1 to 7.2 I mean going from 6 to 7 or 7 to 8. When they were still Motorola I had a older Moto g it received updates fine the last Moto x model was released by Motorola it was scheduled to receive major updates Lenovo took over those updates never came. The Moto z will never see an official 8 update next year's Motorolas will release with 8. Want to see the future study the past

Options

462 Posts

11-20-2009

United States of America

207 Signins

2445 Page Views

• Views: 2445
  • Message 12 of 114

2017-09-04, 7:51 AM

wrote:

Here is my proof as a previous Motorola user last Moto x even though it's a smaller version of Nexus 6 no major updates even though it's been scheduled for over a year. Moto g4 again no major updates. By major update I don't mean going from 7.1 to 7.2 I mean going from 6 to 7 or 7 to 8. When they were still Motorola I had a older Moto g it received updates fine the last Moto x model was released by Motorola it was scheduled to receive major updates Lenovo took over those updates never came. The Moto z will never see an official 8 update next year's Motorolas will release with 8. Want to see the future study the past

There's a problem with that accessment.  This is the same thing that happened when Google bought Motorola, and RAN Google pick for CEO.  This had NOTHING to do with Lenovo at that time period.  Google dropped support on A LOT of devices when they finally took over officially and left a lot of people high and dry.

Moto X first generation was NO WHERE near the same as the Nexus 6.  The chipset was NOT the 805, but a custom chipset which requires different drivers which are made by Qualcomm.  Here's the kicker. Even Google stated 2 years of support for their devices because they are subjected to the support of parts manufacturers which is roughly 2 years.  If parts manufacturers drop support then oh well.  

Lenovo didn't offically take over until 2014.  As for the G4 it was released last year...  Different teams different updates.  The problem is people seem to assume Google hands code right away as they are making and manufacturers should be pushing updates as fast as Google...  The problem with that assessment is Google spends a WHOLE year making it specifically for their devices.  The only thing anyone outside looking is will get is the HAL which on average shortens development by 3 months at most.  Manufacturers will work on their flagships first before their budget devices.  Some of their budget devices will get support simply because...  They are never meant to be updates and thrown away.  It's not like gaming consoles where they get supported because there is residual income from licensing and gaming sales.  Google has incentive to keep Android going.  The more people use their products the more user data they make, and the more they may off that user data.  What do manufacturers make after the sale of the device?  What incentive do they have dumping manpower to update their devices especially mid to lowend devices?  If you say more sales then the counter argument would be... Look at the Nexus devices, or even Pixel phones.  They don't sell as well as techies think they do.  They are the most heavily supported updated devices and they still can't hold a candle to the top 3 Android manufacturers who are known to be bad with updates.

Options

5 Posts

09-01-2017

United States of America

4 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 13 of 114

2017-09-04, 8:01 AM

Last gen Moto x not first gen Moto x. All the excuses in the world about who owns who or what team did what to which phone first gen Moto z never got any major updates. I'm sure in some country's updates came ( Motorola loves India ) but in most country's you want a update on your phones software root it or by the newest generation. Let's face it major phone updates are going away just like user replaceble batteries did. Another sales tactic. Apple started the yearly phone trend and Android makers fell right in line 

Options

462 Posts

11-20-2009

United States of America

207 Signins

2445 Page Views

• Message 14 of 114

2017-09-04, 8:14 AM

wrote:

Last gen Moto x not first gen Moto x. All the excuses in the world about who owns who or what team did what to which phone first gen Moto z never got any major updates. I'm sure in some country's updates came ( Motorola loves India ) but in most country's you want a update on your phones software root it or by the newest generation. Let's face it major phone updates are going away just like user replaceble batteries did. Another sales tactic. Apple started the yearly phone trend and Android makers fell right in line 

Then why do you compare it to the Nexus 6 which the last gen Moto X =/= Nexus 6....

If you are talking about the Moto X 2014 then it DID get 2 major updates.  It started with 4.4.4 then updated to 5.0, and now is on 6.0. Now if you are talking about the X Play and such... They have been rolling for Android N for.  As for the Moto Z Nougat updates for it started rolling out for it as of Febuary this year.  Just because it isn't out in your region doesn't mean they are not working on it.  There could be a lot of factors for delays for example RCS needs to be worked on in your region, but isn't needed in others.  Could possibly your region is a low selling area so they are not putting as much resources as say in the US that it sold better in.  They are not going to give dates as some people treat dates as absolutes even when they say it's an estimate and things can happen.

Options

462 Posts

11-20-2009

United States of America

207 Signins

2445 Page Views

• Message 15 of 114

2017-09-04, 8:20 AM

I want to add... Here in the states carriers do have control on some aspects of devices which affects updates.  

I been burned before... I owned the Droid 4, and the Droid X2.  Motorola got bought out by Google and I saw 0 support.  I couldn't even exchange my phones and all I got was $100 credit for each phone to buy another Motorola device...  If I wanted to use it I had to wait 17 months...  I expected the same thing to happen when Lenovo finally took control of Motorola.  Some devices were lucky enough to be updated before the transition happened and the ones that weren't got the short end of the stick. 

Options

165 Posts

01-15-2016

Hungary

298 Signins

2407 Page Views

• Views: 2407
  • Message 16 of 114

2017-09-06, 18:36 PM

There was a major update to the reteu version of Z2 Play. 536MB - contains stability improvements, bug fixes, moto mods 2.0 update , july security patch. The august security patch update will arrive shortly.

Options

29 Posts

08-22-2017

United States of America

97 Signins

461 Page Views

• Views: 461
  • Message 17 of 114

2017-09-14, 22:24 PM

Oreo is coming.

See list

http://www.androidauthority.com/motorola-devices-android-oreo-800550/

Options

88 Posts

12-30-2011

United States of America

208 Signins

3193 Page Views

• Views: 3193
  • Message 18 of 114

2017-09-15, 0:28 AM

...and now details are on the Motorola "YOUR HOME FOR UPGRADES" page...whoo hoo!

Options

190 Posts

07-28-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

191 Signins

2440 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2440
  • Message 19 of 114

2017-09-15, 12:43 PM

wrote:

...and now details are on the Motorola "YOUR HOME FOR UPGRADES" page...whoo hoo!

woohoooo, Moto Z2 Play is getting Android OREO

Options

22 Posts

08-25-2016

India

71 Signins

403 Page Views

• Views: 403
  • Message 20 of 114

Android O for moto Z² play

2017-11-16, 6:03 AM

When you guys are going to push Android O update on Moto Z² play.. 

I'm eagerly waiting for it.. 

OnePlus, Htc already started pushing this update why you guys are left beside ? 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms