Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto Z Phones - Mod CapableMoto Z² Play
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

10-09-2017

Italy

59 Signins

379 Page Views

• Views: 379
  • Message 1 of 40

Minimum volume is way too loud

2017-10-30, 8:59 AM

Minimum media volume (e.g. youtube) is way too loud; I used to watch youtube videos at night with my previous phone (samsung s7) with the speaker, now with the z2 play I have to use the headphones. This is really strange since the speaker is also used for voice calls and can reach a very low volume. Is there something I can do about it (I'm a rooted user)? Or maybe this thing can be fixed in the next update?

Options

88 Posts

12-30-2011

United States of America

208 Signins

3193 Page Views

• Views: 3193
  • Message 2 of 40

Re: Minimum volume is way too loud

2017-10-30, 18:03 PM

I tested with YouTube specifically and the volume I set for Media is in effect...for the speaker or for BlueTooth. Its an obvious l thing to ask but have you confirmed that your Media volume setting really is set way down? I can adjust my Media volume down to silent without issue and just above that is barely audible (Z2 Play Unlocked). 

Options

34 Posts

10-09-2017

Italy

59 Signins

379 Page Views

• Message 3 of 40

2017-10-30, 18:16 PM

wrote:

I tested with YouTube specifically and the volume I set for Media is in effect...for the speaker or for BlueTooth. Its an obvious l thing to ask but have you confirmed that your Media volume setting really is set way down? I can adjust my Media volume down to silent without issue and just above that is barely audible (Z2 Play Unlocked). 

I'm not sure of what you are asking me... I mean the first step of volume (when it's muted -> press the volume up key once) is too loud. For example at night I can't watch youtube videos if someone is sleeping in the same room since the volume at the minimum it is still to loud. With the s7 I could do it without problems. I don't think this behavior is normal since the speaker is used for voice calls so it can reach very low volumes.

For now, I use a workaround: I use the app ''precise volume'' from the playstore, wich allows me to set the right volume. I set it to 9% (I don't know why if I set it to 8% or lower it doesn't work). The difference between the ''precise volume'' volume and the system volume is noticeable. It is not the ideal solution though, because to change volume I have to switch between the applications and if I press any volume button, ''precise volume'' resets itself.

Options

88 Posts

12-30-2011

United States of America

208 Signins

3193 Page Views

• Views: 3193
  • Message 4 of 40

2017-10-30, 18:48 PM
wrote:
"I'm not sure of what you are asking me... I mean the first step of volume (when it's muted -> press the volume up key once) is too loud."

OK...I generally use an app for volume, too (Audio Manager Pro), but for these purposes I went to Settings/Sound and verified that my Media volume was down to Muted. Then while playing a video in YouToube I hit my Volume Up key 1x and went back to Settings /Sound and "Media Volume" went incremented up somwhere in the 5-10% range...and was still barely audible. If you check your volume this way what do you see?

Do you have another Media app you can test this behavior against?... music player or something similar? If it is a truly a "Media Volume" bug then it should be repeatable in other Media apps. 

Do you have any issues setting Ringer, Phone or Alarm volumes with the volume buttons? Is it possilbe that you have a sticky volume button or that a case may be holding the button down a bit longer than it might if a case was not involved?

If all of those things check out than I'd suggest you boot into safe mode and retest. If the problem goes away then you know its one of your third party apps that is at issue. Motorola Support is going to ask if you tried that anyway so you might as well give it a shot up front.

Options

34 Posts

10-09-2017

Italy

59 Signins

379 Page Views

• Message 5 of 40

2017-10-30, 19:25 PM

The volume is the same in every app, my volume keys are working well, I've done the ''muted, volume + once'' thing, and safe mode doesn't change a thing. I've also restored factory settings. You can't rely on the volume slider that you see in settings/sound since it refers to the relative volume in a certain range decided by the software. For example if the slider is approx. at 10%, it means that you are at 10% of the volume in the system range, but not at 10% of the volume that the speaker can handle.

I don't know why Motorola had set the minimum volume this way, since the speaker is capable to go lower. I'm not even sure if you can modify that range with superuser access. I looked into framework-res but I couldn't find anything related to this.

If you want to try to reproduce what I've done, download precise volume from the play store. Go into youtube, start a video and set the media volume at the first step (muted -> volume + once). Then switch to precise volume; you will find the slider at 36%. Bring the slider to 9% (it works only with 9%, idk why), then go back to youtube and hear the difference

Options

7 Posts

10-31-2017

Denmark

11 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 6 of 40

2018-02-12, 14:43 PM

It's the same problem with Moto G5S, G5S Plus, maybe more.

Options

34 Posts

10-09-2017

Italy

59 Signins

379 Page Views

• Message 7 of 40

2018-02-12, 18:20 PM

I solved this problem, along with a lot of other problems like missing display tuning, pokemon go plus not connecting, and other stuff, switching to lineage OS. It's a bit funny how a custom rom in alpha version is better then stock rom. Disappointed with motorola.

Options

8 Posts

03-27-2018

China

25 Signins

109 Page Views

• Views: 109
  • Message 8 of 40

2018-03-27, 2:18 AM

I'm using moto z2 force and facing the same problem. Using precise volume pro version so i can change volume with key(buggy,but it works). Still looking forward to a better solution. 

the default mute+1 volume in precise shows 34%, I've rooted so wender if there is a way to change some conf file and solve this forever.

Options

8 Posts

06-24-2018

Germany

28 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 9 of 40

2018-06-24, 15:15 PM

deleted

Options

8 Posts

06-24-2018

Germany

28 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 10 of 40

2018-06-24, 15:19 PM

Hi,

I have the same issue with my Moto G5S.

The volume is set to 36% (as shown in "Precise Volume") on the lowest volume setting above muted. This is to loud when listening to music or watching a YouTube Video with others in the room.

I would be glad to assist with information about my phone/Android version/etc.

Regards

Max

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms