Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrmagloo
SCSI Port
Views: 400
Message 1 of 25

Audio Effects Keeps Stopping

Well, after a relatively flawless Oreo ugrade, and relatively smooth run here for a while, I just started running into an issue with the Moto Equalizer refusing to run.  This was actually a pretty good OEM app, and worked great with Spotify and pretty much everything, and was really appreciated when moving from the vehicles, to earphones, or external BT speakers, etc.

However, every time I now try to open it, it just crashes right away. I tried clearing the cache, data, disabling and enabling, but nothing seems to work.  Even after clearing the data , I still see 119kb of User data that won't clear that I suspect is corrupted.  I even trying clearing the system cache but that didn't work either, so I'm out of ideas.

Mods, any idea on how to get this working again?  This is a big loss.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 386
Message 2 of 25

Re: Audio Effects Keeps Stopping

Hi mrmagloo,

Thanks for posting. I'd like to confirm, is your phone a Moto Z Force? Can you send us a screenshot of the Moto Equalizer when it's crashing? I have a Z Play and mines called Audio Effects and I can use it with Google Play Music. Please check if you can see and use the Moto Equalizer in Google Play Music. Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

mrmagloo
SCSI Port
Views: 370
Message 3 of 25

Thank you Rich for the speedy reply.

I have attached the screen shots.  The first time it crashes after a fresh restart, you get the Open Again option.  Then when you try again, you get the Keeps Crashing message.  

Yes, the Moto OEM app is called Audio Effects, and after I clear the cache and data, and go through the entire routine, I then will get the tray again crash message.

Same happens in Google Play Music and Spotify.  Like I said, it's been rock solid since I got the phone, even through the Oreo update and it never skipped a beat.  As such, I really think it's a User data thing as the last time it worked, I was running it and testing different options and suddenly it crashed.  Closed everything, restarted the phone, and it never worked again ever since.  

If you want to take a peek in my phone, I should have my profile all set up.

Thank you sir!

mrmagloo
SCSI Port
Views: 368
Message 4 of 25

Here's the second error message screen shot...   BTW, I also tried clearing the cache partition that didn't work either.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 348
Message 5 of 25

Hi mrmagloo,

Thank you for the screenshots. I appreciate the steps you've done and tried. Let's test this on safe mode so we can isolate some third-party apps to run in the background. 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.

While the phone is in safe mode, kindly test the Audio Effects on Google Play Music. Let me know. Thanks!

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

mrmagloo
SCSI Port
Views: 313
Message 6 of 25

Hi Rich,

Went into Safe Mode, and the only app I could use to try and access the Equalizer was Play Music.  The second I hit Equalizer, I got the same crash screen.  I did try to start Spotify, but that obviously didn't work in Safe Mode.

When looking at the App Details, when I try to Clear the Cache, it is showing 45.06 kb of User Data, that cannot be deleted.  As a matter of fact, the Cache itself of 32.77 kb shows that it deletes, but when you cycle back to clear cache, it's immediately back.

Is there a way to manually delete these two files that I suspect got corrupted somehow?

Thanks!!

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 310
Message 7 of 25

It sounds like you are using a third party equalizer app.  If you uninstall the app and reboot your phone that should remove all app files and residual data

~Scott
mrmagloo
SCSI Port
Views: 304
Message 8 of 25

Scott - I am NOT using any third party Equalizer.   The Audio Effects app, is a OEM Motorola app part of the build.  Look in your own System Apps.  It's actually one of the nicer EQ apps out there, when it works.

sajokaz
Bit Torrent
Views: 301
Message 9 of 25

I see it now, once I selected the Show System Apps option.  How are you opening it?  What are you using to access it?

~Scott
mrmagloo
SCSI Port
Views: 296
Message 10 of 25

To access the OEM Equalizer, you do so within various Music Apps.  For example, in Google Play Music, you go to:  Settings > Equalizer.  In Spotify, you go to:  Your Library > Gear (Upper Right) > Equalizer.

If you have installed any 3rd party Audio EQ apps, you might have to go to that app, and remove the Defaults.

It's a great app, and probably the best EQ app out there.  That's why it's so troubling that mine doesn't work anymore.  It's great for changing profiles for various bluetooth speaker devices.

Top Kudoed Authors