cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdrch
Token Ring
Views: 3,597
Message 1 of 11

Audio output via USB hub with the Z2 Force?

Just wondering the above. Ideally, I'd like to be able to charge my phone and listen to it at the same time using the hub. Would that even be possible, or does the headphone jack adapter have to be directly connected to the phone? Any ideas?

EDIT: I suspect it might not be possible using the included adapter because the Z2F's DAC is onboard, which means it might output analog audio only from the USB Type-C port, as opposed to a bitstream. What about adapters with their own DAC, though? Would the Z2F recognize those and pipe bitstream audio to them? 🤔

Windows 10 Pro: Lenovo Flex 5 (15") 81CA | Lenovo ThinkPad L380 Yoga
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,550
Message 2 of 11

Re: Audio output via USB hub with the Z2 Force?

@jdrch wrote:

Just wondering the above. Ideally, I'd like to be able to charge my phone and listen to it at the same time using the hub. Would that even be possible, or does the headphone jack adapter have to be directly connected to the phone? Any ideas?

EDIT: I suspect it might not be possible using the included adapter because the Z2F's DAC is onboard, which means it might output analog audio only from the USB Type-C port, as opposed to a bitstream. What about adapters with their own DAC, though? Would the Z2F recognize those and pipe bitstream audio to them? 🤔

Hi jdrch,

I will post back once I have more information on this.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 3,470
Message 3 of 11

@jdrch wrote:

I'd like to try testing this for you. I'm going to look into trying and getting one of the hubs. Can you recommend one that I can buy from Amazon?

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
jdrch
Token Ring
Views: 3,460
Message 4 of 11

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

I'd like to try testing this for you. I'm going to look into trying and getting one of the hubs. Can you recommend one that I can buy from Amazon?

-Tom

Hi Tom, thanks so much for volunteering for this. I don't have one in mind right at this moment, but could you give me until the weekend to provide you with an idea?

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 3,455
Message 5 of 11

@jdrch wrote:

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

-Tom

Hi Tom, thanks so much for volunteering for this. I don't have one in mind right at this moment, but could you give me until the weekend to provide you with an idea?

Yes, of course, take your time. The initial feedback I got was that it likely won't work, but until I get confirmation, I'd like to see if I can test it.

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
jdrch
Token Ring
Views: 3,429
Message 6 of 11

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

-Tom

Yes, of course, take your time. The initial feedback I got was that it likely won't work, but until I get confirmation, I'd like to see if I can test it.

-Tom

Here it is
! I think I'm gonna order one too since I also have an HTC U11, which it allegedly works with.

jdrch
Token Ring
Views: 3,372
Message 7 of 11

@jdrch wrote:

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

-Tom

-Tom

Here it is
! I think I'm gonna order one too since I also have an HTC U11, which it allegedly works with.

Update: mine came this morning and it works as far as charging goes. I'll check if it works with the USB-C headphone adapter later.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,317
Message 8 of 11

@jdrch wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

-Tom

-Tom

Here it is

Update: mine came this morning and it works as far as charging goes. I'll check if it works with the USB-C headphone adapter later.

Hi jdrch,

I know you have been working with Tom on this. I'm just curious, were you able to test if your USB-C hub works with the headphone adapter? What happened?

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

jdrch
Token Ring
Views: 3,313
Message 9 of 11

@moto_JM wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

-Tom

-Tom

Here it is

Hi jdrch,

I know you have been working with Tom on this. I'm just curious, were you able to test if your USB-C hub works with the headphone adapter? What happened?

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Not yet, sorry. Will try to get that working between now and Monday.

jdrch
Token Ring
Views: 3,260
Message 10 of 11

@jdrch wrote:

@moto_JM wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

@MotorolaTom wrote:

@jdrch wrote:

-Tom

-Tom

Here it is

Hi jdrch,

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Not yet, sorry. Will try to get that working between now and Monday.

So I tried it and ... IT WORKS (with caveats)!

3 items needed for test:

1. OSCOO Hub
  2. Moto 3.5 mm adapter
  3. HTC 3.5 mm adapter (after firmware update. Will NOT work using original or old firmware.)

Configurations that work:

• Z2F -> HTC adapter
  • Z2F -> Moto adapter
  • Z2F -> Hub -> HTC adapter. There was some initial audio stuttering but it smoothed out after about 20 to 30 seconds.
  • HTC U11 -> HTC adapter

Configurations that did NOT work:

• HTC U11 -> Moto adapter
  • HTC U11 -> Hub -> Either adapter. (This was a surprise to me, because Amazon reviews say it works with the HTC adapter. Maybe I did something wrong, or the U11 needs to be rebooted, or something.)

TL, DR: YES, it is possible to output audio via USB hub and external DAC on the Z2F

Top Kudoed Authors