01-07-2014

US

13 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 12

Camera App Stops with Missing Photos

2018-05-24, 2:32 AM

I am having issues with the camera. The app is slow to run, and too often pictures I have just taken are not found among those showing as thumbnails in the Photos app. Sometimes they are shown in the Photos app briefly, but later they are completely gone as if I never took them. A reboot does not resolve this problem.

A photo taken today, for example, which I uploaded to a third party site, disappeared from the files whose thumbnails showed in the Photos app just moments before the disappearance. To be clear, I did nothing to remove or erase or move these files, whether intentionally or accidentally.

I am not pleased with these problems and would appreciate some feedback from Motorola about where the heck my pictures are disappearing to, and an explanation as to why this is happening.

I am missing photos that I know I took. I cannot locate the files even after a reboot, but it should not be necessary to reboot to find pictures taken with the device anyway.

Options

3736 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2717 Signins

25595 Page Views

• Views: 25595
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: Camera App Stops with Missing Photos

2018-05-24, 2:52 AM

Where is your picture save location, internal memory or an SD Card?  Could it be a faulty SD Card?

~Scott
Options

9759 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1076 Signins

144543 Page Views

• Views: 144543
  • Message 3 of 12

2018-05-24, 16:27 PM

Hi KCsRazrMaxx,

Sorry to know about that. Tho, thanks for trying to fix this on your own. If I understand you correctly, it seems like the photos were saved to your gallery but suddenly it disappears for no apparent reasons? Have you checked the folders and the trash bin of the Photo App? (Swipe to the right to check the folders/tap the 3 horizontal lines to check the trash bin). Also, please check if the date on your phone is correct, photos are arranged based on the dates they were taken. They might be aligned with other photos in your gallery. 

Please let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

We value your opinion. Read More

Options

6 Posts

01-07-2014

US

13 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 4 of 12

2018-05-24, 18:39 PM

I cannot find the files/images in either the trash or other folders. The date is set according to the network time, and therefore, it is accurate. I did not nove or delete the pictures I took. No one else has access to my device, so no one else deleted them. My phone is set to save the images to my SD card. 

By the way, the app will also stop responding while attempting to take pictures. Sometimes it won't take a single picture. Other times they are poorly focused.

As to Scott's question, I suppose the card could be faulty, but I have never heard of an SD card being "faulty" unless by that he refers to ejecting the card or unmounting it when it is still in use. This card has only been in my phone since the phone arrived  and it was in my other phone previously. That said, the card was new on the first install into my previous phone. Moreover, my phone has not alerted me to any problem reading, writing or mounting the card.

Options

3736 Posts

04-04-2013

US

2717 Signins

25595 Page Views

• Views: 25595
  • Message 5 of 12

2018-05-24, 19:16 PM

I would change the storage location to Internal instead of External (in the Camera app Settings) and see what happens.  That might help determine if it's the card, faulty camera hardware or a faulty app (software).  SD Cards do seem to be pretty reliable these days, but I had one go bad in my Z Force and lost over 8GB of music.  Woke up one morning and all files were just corrupt for some reason.  I reformatted the card and spent hours downloading my music again.  Two days later the whole card was corrupt, causing issues with my phone and all files were inaccessible.

~Scott
Options

9759 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1076 Signins

144543 Page Views

• Message 6 of 12

2018-05-24, 19:18 PM

Hi KCsRazrMaxx,

Thanks for the prompt response. There are 3 factors I'm seeing that could cause the issue. One is the default apps - either the default Camera or the Photo App (Please clear the cache of both apps - Settings > Apps > Show System > Camera > Storage > Clear Cache. And then do the same with the Photo App). Second, if you have third-party camera apps please uninstall them it may override or draw over the default camera app that's why it's crashing. And third, it could be the SD card sort of being corrupted, kindly unmount it and then test the camera again. 

We can also test the camera in safemode, so all the third-party apps will be disabled. 

To Enable Safe Mode
1. Press and hold the Power button until Power off comes up on the screen.
2. Touch and HOLD Power off on the screen until reboot to safe mode appears.
3. Touch OK when Reboot to safe mode appears
4. Phone will reboot and Safe Mode will appear in bottom left corner

Please let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

06-03-2018

US

1 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 7 of 12

2018-06-03, 11:29 AM

I am having that exact same problems.   Photos not showing up in photos and/or multiple folders for camera suddenly with photos from the same hour showing up in both.  This is a recent issue and I just got this phone as a replacement and it was happening before and after the only update I did.

Options

9759 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1076 Signins

144543 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2018-06-04, 14:52 PM

Hi Mmyers22,

Are you using an SD Card? Hae you tried the suggested troubleshooting above? Also, please try to download a photo from the website and check if it will be loaded in Photos App. Thanks. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Options

51 Posts

06-07-2010

US

150 Signins

1462 Page Views

• Views: 1462
  • Message 9 of 12

2018-06-21, 2:28 AM
I had lots of problems with the camera for a few months. Then I realized "maybe the SD card isn't writing or isn't reading fast enough". I changed storage location back to Internal, and my gosh the camera is so fast now! I don't know if the problem is my SD card (it's a U3 so I thought it would be plenty fast enough), or the storage chip in the phone.

I upload everything to Google Photos so every so often I tell Photos to "free up space".
Options

9759 Posts

03-05-2018

US

1076 Signins

144543 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2018-06-21, 16:16 PM

Hi jesta192,

Thanks for confirming. That could be an issue with the SD card, I'm glad that we're able to sort out this issue. Let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete