Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ridgerunner57
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,069
Message 1 of 7

Cannot transfer files from phone to PC

Hello,

New on this forum and new to this phone (moto z force). I cannot seem to transfer files from this phone to my Windows 10 box. Get a  device is unreachable error. Cannot view pictures directly from the phone using the pcs' photo viewer either.The phone is running Nougat. I've tried MTP and PTP, no luck. I can copy -to- the phone, however. I can do any of these things when the Droid is connected to my Ubuntu box.

I am missing something, obviously.

Any help greatly appreciated.

James

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 12,051
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cannot transfer files from phone to PC

@ridgerunner57 wrote:

Hello,

New on this forum and new to this phone (moto z force). I cannot seem to transfer files from this phone to my Windows 10 box. Get a  device is unreachable error. Cannot view pictures directly from the phone using the pcs' photo viewer either.The phone is running Nougat. I've tried MTP and PTP, no luck. I can copy -to- the phone, however. I can do any of these things when the Droid is connected to my Ubuntu box.

James

You can copy to the phone on windows? But not the other way? And all works fine on ubuntu? Sounds like maybe windows firewall or security issue. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
ridgerunner57
Fanfold Paper
Views: 12,035
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look at the firewall. What other security issues might you be referring to?

EDIT:

Well, it was the **bleep** USB port on the windows box that was causing the problem. Why it worked with other devices, I don't know. Thanks for the help,

James

LOCA3
Paper Tape
Views: 9,777
Message 4 of 7

I tried to transfer photos to my PC, as I did with ALL my other Phones and this System keeps telling me import failed try again. It states exactly   '' WE CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING TO IMPORT, MAKE SURE YOUR DEVICE IS UNLOCKED AND TRY AGAIN''.  How do I unlocked MY MOTO?  

@ridgerunner57 wrote:

Hello,

James

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 9,773
Message 5 of 7

@LOCA3 wrote:

I tried to transfer photos to my PC, as I did with ALL my other Phones and this System keeps telling me import failed try again. It states exactly   '' WE CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING TO IMPORT, MAKE SURE YOUR DEVICE IS UNLOCKED AND TRY AGAIN''.  How do I unlocked MY MOTO?  

When you connect your phone to your PC via USB, it will always default to "charge only" mode.   This is a security feature, to keep your data secure.

If you can see your phone in Windows Explorer, but double-clicking doesn't reveal the files, this is the problem, and it's easily solved:  USB connections generate a notification but there's no icon at the top.  You have to look through any notifications you have to find the one that says you have to change to PTP or MTP to work with files.  Once you do that, files can be moved back and forth easily.

Please let us know if this helps.  

7robertsons
Paper Tape
Views: 3,088
Message 6 of 7

Moto Z Force Won't transfer to PC

I have the Moto Z Force I've been having the same issue. My PC keeps telling me that the device drivers are corrupted. After the last update it reset my developer options. Even after re-doing them it still won't work. All of my USB ports are good and the cable will charge the phone just doesn't connect for media transfer.

Edit: Moved to the right community - Changed title for the right phone model - Rich

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,034
Message 7 of 7

Re: Moto Z Force Won't transfer to PC

Hi 7robertsons,

What is your computer OS? Make sure you have the right driver. You can download it here. And make sure to select MTP on your phone once you connect it to your computer. Let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors