Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angrymotoz2
Punch Card
Views: 662
Message 1 of 8

DO NOT CALIBRATE BATTERY.

Thanks to the crappy advice the agents on this forum have given, I nearly burned down my house.

My phone was in a for boot loop. I decided I would let it loop until it died, wait a few days, attempting to turn on, really drain the battery.

So I did that, set it on my bed, plugged it in, and left for 2 hours.

I come back and the phone's screen is separating, the phone is HOT to touch, and I can smell the burning battery. 

Had I waited any longer I guarantee that phone would have caught fire.

Do not attempt to calibrate your battery. If you suspect battery failure, replace the phone. Do not attempt the 'advice'

Motorola has to offer.

Had that phone caught anything on fire, it would have been the basis for a very costly C.A.L regarding the battery.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 619
Message 2 of 8

Re: DO NOT CALIBRATE BATTERY.

Hi angrymotoz2,

Sorry to know about that, I highly appreciate your post. We would like to help and reach you out. Please private message me with your information; Name, Contact Number, and Email Address. Let me know. Thank you. 

Best regards,
Rich
Motorola-Lenovo Support

Lenovo Employee rbkirk
Lenovo Employee
Views: 591
Message 3 of 8

Were you running the factory image on the phone...or had you replaced it with a 3rd party android variant...? 

angrymotoz2
Punch Card
Views: 574
Message 4 of 8

No custom ROM. Why would I put a custom ROM on an already bad device?

Highlighted
Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 477
Message 5 of 8

I'd like to clarify a couple of things on this post. First, the steps you took to try and calibrate are incorrect. The correct steps are as follows:

1. Reboot the phone by holding the power button
  2. When the phone fully boots up
  3. Plug into the supplied charger
  4. Allow phone to charge to 100% and then leave on the charger for an additional hour
  5. This will recalibrate the battery.

We also provided the correct steps Here in response to one of the other threads.

That being said, battery calibration is an accepted troubleshooting step and completely safe to perform.  If your phone isn't fully booting or stuck in a boot loop then there is no way to complete these steps and we would always recommend repair on the device as we did in this thread. 

-Tom

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
angrymotoz2
Punch Card
Views: 461
Message 6 of 8

You guys recommended battery calibration for my phone being in a boot loop!
Just can't accept that Motorola screwed up, can you?

Let me make this clear: USING OR ATTEMPTING TO CHARGE DEFECTIVE BATTERIES IS NOT SAFE. Seeing as all the issues you guys recommend calibrating the battery for are because of battery failure, the advice IS dangerous.

With $200 for a replacement, I can buy a second-hand previous gen Samsung or LG. That's what ill likely do.

I'm not paying for a repair. The phone won't last the 2 years left on the contract.

Look at this forum. People are abandoning this company in mass. It affects Lenovo too, I sure as heck am not purchasing a laptop, phone, tablet, or even a radio from anything Lenovo. 

My house could have burnt down. What, is it a standard requirement you never consider charging a phone and leaving it alone. Can I now not charge phones overnight? 

Funny. Seems only motorola has this issue.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 449
Message 7 of 8

@angrymotoz2 wrote:

You guys recommended battery calibration for my phone being in a boot loop!
Just can't accept that Motorola screwed up, can you?

Let me make this clear: USING OR ATTEMPTING TO CHARGE DEFECTIVE BATTERIES IS NOT SAFE. Seeing as all the issues you guys recommend calibrating the battery for are because of battery failure, the advice IS dangerous.

With $200 for a replacement, I can buy a second-hand previous gen Samsung or LG. That's what ill likely do.

I'm not paying for a repair. The phone won't last the 2 years left on the contract.

Look at this forum. People are abandoning this company in mass. It affects Lenovo too, I sure as heck am not purchasing a laptop, phone, tablet, or even a radio from anything Lenovo. 

My house could have burnt down. What, is it a standard requirement you never consider charging a phone and leaving it alone. Can I now not charge phones overnight? 

Funny. Seems only motorola has this issue.

I pointed to the exact posts where we recommended repair and also recommended the proper steps for battery calibration. Nowhere did we recommend leaving your phone in a boot loop and completely draining your battery. When a phone's battery is showing erratic battery life or there are sudden power offs while using the phone, we do recommend battery calibration and it is completely safe to perform those steps. As for your case, with the concern you've reported, we have reached out to you to get further information and your contact details. Please allow those additional support channels to assist you fully.

-Tom 

Need help updating your profile? See here. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
angrymotoz2
Punch Card
Views: 445
Message 8 of 8

I PMed the agent. He has not reached out further.

Top Kudoed Authors